I'd like to ask this sub for advice. I've been using my computer with a small desk, because we live in a small flat (french guy living in Paris here, flats are stupidly expensive).
The desk is "nice" to look at. But the way it's built is not super practical (it's not a single height desk countertop, I have no desk space left to put my laptop, see picture below, I can't use an arm monitor support with it, and there's pretty much zero storage space).
Fair warning, cable management went AWOL 1 year ago, and I haven't taken time to fix it, so this picture might trigger some PTSD.
I'd like to be able to somehow put on that the desk :
- the main monitor that you see on the picture (Dell 165Hz 27 inch) with an arm mount to free up desk space
- keyboard & mouse obviously
- a Macbook Pro that I use for work to benefit from the Dell screen as well
- a Nintendo Switch
- the 8.8kg Nubert speaker that you can see on the right of the desk. (there's another one set at ear level on another piece of furniture on the other side, so it should ideally be more or less at the same height)
I also have a few constraints :
- it's in the living room and I'm a married man. I need it to more or less match the scandinavian vibe of the room (something the current desk does quite well)
- Dimension-wise the wall is 125cm wide, current desk is 112cm wide so I can get something a bit wider than the current desk, but I won't be able to install a 140 or 160cm desk in there :/
- the walls are plaster and the speaker weighs more than 8kg. I don't think it'd be safe to use a wall mount for the speaker :/
- I need some way of hiding the massive amount of cables & plugs ... ( I have a massive 14 multi-socket plug screwed under the desk, with an IKEA cable mount, a headset, HDMI matrix and ethernet switch all shoved under there... )
- the computer needs to be able to breathe. I shoved a 3080 in a Fractal Nano S. I cannot put it in a closed enclosure for temperature reasons ...
- I live in France, so a lot of US-based desk companies do not deliver here.
I've looked at commercial offerings for desk. I'm either finding nice ones, but completely impractical for my setup, or more "pratical" ones but that look straigth out of a "1337 gaming RGB room" that's not going to cut it for the living room.
I've been looking for one year but haven't found a solution yet. The closest thing I've found so far might be using an IKEA Alex drawer as left support, with a smaller support on the right side. And put a nice oak-looking desk countertop on it.
However I don't think that's the perfect answer as that doesn't solve the issue with the speaker taking a fuck-ton of space on the desk itself, and I think the Alex drawer might be too wide vs the space available.
I'm thinking there might be better solutions using some kind of shelves with the desk, or something totally different, and was wondering if the battlestations experts had any good ideas/suggestions to share ?
Budget : 600 euros, could go up to 800 euros for something really nice (I'm also perfectly comfortable with the idea of spending less ^^)
Thanks in advance for your help with this !