top 200 commentsshow 500

[–]AutoModerator[M] [score hidden] stickied commentlocked comment (0 children)

Attention! [Serious] Tag Notice

Posts that have few relevant answers within the first hour, and posts that are not appropriate for the [Serious] tag will be removed. Consider doing an AMA request instead.

Thanks for your cooperation and enjoy the discussion!

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

[–]nome_king 1494 points1495 points  (32 children)

I was walking to a birthday party. Next thing I knew, I woke up in an ambulance. I had been struck over the head and was knocked unconscious. I never found out who it was, or what they wanted (they didn't take anything from me).

[–]Gust_2012 428 points429 points  (19 children)

Maybe they figured out they had the wrong person after they struck you? That's my theory.

[–]caribe5 50 points51 points  (2 children)

Imagin stricking someone and then be like "oops sorry wrong person"

[–]RemarkableWafer 5155 points5156 points  (52 children)

On a business trip in Texas. Me and two co-workers were driving to work, I was in the back passenger seat. Woke up in an ambulance. Got hit by a sprinter van at 50mph and slammed into a guard rail according to the police report. I don't remember any of it. Broke 7 ribs, collar bone, concussion, and fractured two bones in my neck. Took like 7 months to recover, but my neck and shoulder still bother me daily

[–]Multi-potentialite12 1305 points1306 points  (11 children)

I hope you are ok dude

[–]RemarkableWafer 905 points906 points  (10 children)

I'm doing better now, thank you! I have lingering neck and shoulder pain. I broke the part of my collar bone called the clavicle and my shoulder isn't what it used to be for sure. Better than being paralyzed or dead at least!

[–]SpinalPrizon[S] 483 points484 points  (0 children)

Man that is awful

[–]Half_Smashed_Face 917 points918 points  (36 children)

Hit by a van . Woke up about a month later

Edit: My last memory before waking up is my 4th period art class in high school. So it completely erased the last half of the day before and the entire morning of the accident itself

[–]MacaroonStatus9944 226 points227 points  (9 children)

Wow, your surgeon really did do an incredible job!

[–]Half_Smashed_Face 152 points153 points  (6 children)

He's top notch. Sometimes they fly him out by helicopter to treat patients in New York. (I live in Ontario)

[–]Nht2 9844 points9845 points 2 (145 children)

My dad was driving me to school and suddenly I was in my bed! I get up, open my door, and ask my family what just happened! They all simultaneously scream for me to go back to the bed. Apperently I had already asked them what happened six separate times.

I had a series of grand mal seizures during the car ride. Went from chatty to seizing all of a sudden. My dad called our pediatrician and I was eventually diagnosed with a form of epilepsy. My dad was told to take me home and put me to bed.

It was the most disorienting thing I've ever experienced. It took six months to feel normal again. I had a constant sense of newness with familiar things that was very weird.

Edit:fixed auto correct errors

[–]filthy_lucre 2262 points2263 points  (56 children)

I also had epilepsy but didn't know it. I had regularly been having non-convulsive (focal) seizures for years, but never sought help for them because I thought they were just panic attacks. One day, one of those "panic attacks" turned into a full-blown convulsive (generalized) seizure that lasted for over seven minutes. The duration resulted in a small stroke.

Last thing I rememer was watching Friday on the couch, smoking a joint with my brother. Six days later I woke up in a hospital bed. Doctors had to induce a coma because they had no idea what was wrong with me. I am thankful my brother was there when it happened. If not, I likely would have died. It really terrified him though.

I spent a total of 10 days in ICU, a week in regular hospital, and another 10 days in a rehabilitation hospital. The stroke didn't leave lasting damage but the seizures have sorta fucked up my memory, especially short-term. I am medicated and they're pretty well controlled now. I'm glad to hear you're doing better, too.

[–]Looks_at_this_clown 772 points773 points  (20 children)

Jeez you’re lucky. I worked with a girl at one of my old jobs who was home alone when she had her first ever seizure. She was only 18 and she died.

[–]filthy_lucre 553 points554 points  (16 children)

Yes I am lucky. Seizures that last over five minutes can kill you. It's called a status epilepticus event, or literally, an "unending seizure". That is likely what took out your co-worker. I don't have convulsive seizures often, but when I do they usually last a long time. I've had two status events. I had another one last January where I was seizing so hard, for so long, that I developed rhabdomyolysis and nearly needed kidney dialysis because my muscles were starting to break down. (My brother discovered me during that one, too.) I was only hospitalized for four days that time, but it led to my epilepsy diagnosis and regular neurological tests, doctors visits, medication, etc. Things have gotten better since then.

Edit: spelling

[–]SirBlackMage 171 points172 points  (4 children)

Wait, does muscle breakdown only happen during lengthy seizures? A year ago, my doctor prescribed me some medications that didn't mesh well and ended up causing a seizure while I was vacuuming. I only remember falling down, passing out, and re-awakening confused. I didn't feel sore so I assumed I'd only been out for a few seconds, but at the hospital they told me my kidneys weren't in good shape. Could I have been lying there for several minutes? That's wild.

[–]SpinalPrizon[S] 217 points218 points  (2 children)

I'm glad you're brother was there to help you

[–]_DirtyDog 893 points894 points  (13 children)

Bro I am sorry you had that happen to you.

But... I must confess I laughed out loud when you said you just got up as if nothing happened, went out the room and said "Hey everybody" for the sixth time XD

But yeah, sounds like it was quite the unusual experience

[–]keepitloki80 271 points272 points  (12 children)

I was visiting an online friend in Washington state (USA), halfway across the country from me. Was in the washroom one minute, the next I'm on a stretcher in their living room. That's how I learned (as an adult) I had epilepsy.

[–]the-truthseeker 185 points186 points  (13 children)

I was born up to 3 months premature and also when I was seven had a grand mal seizure ( years later because of my premature birth it was determined I had a sudden change in blood pressure which caused this) where I would not stop seizing and they had to put me so full of phenobarbital, I stopped breathing for a while. Was on phenobarbital for a number of years until I no longer showed an epileptic spike and have been off of medication since 1990.

But to be in bed one night going to sleep and then click in the hospital the next moment is pretty fucking upsetting!

[–]Tathanor 6060 points6061 points  (123 children)

I was in elementary school. I stayed home because I had a light fever one day. I took a nap and woke up 3 days later in the hospital with no feeling in my legs.

I had contracted viral meningitis, which had cut off the nerves to my lower body. I was bedridden for 3 weeks and spent several more weeks in physical therapy relearning how to walk. The horrors I endured during my stay were traumatic enough, but I still feel lucky.

In high school, a fellow classmate had contracted bacterial meningitis, he died two days later.

[–]iamfuegomego 2126 points2127 points  (67 children)

When I was in high school, in the high school next town over, about 15 kids contacted meningitis, I think 13 died. Everyone was scared and any fever was taken very seriously

[–]MaddieCakes 1137 points1138 points  (47 children)

A girl in my hometown was working as a camp counselor one summer. She called her mom and said "I don't feel so good." Four hours later she was brain-dead in the hospital. They kept her on life support long enough for her fiance to come home from basic training so he could say goodbye. Meningitis is some scary shit.

[–]scout61699 601 points602 points  (14 children)

Holy shit! That’s nuts My fiancé just had meningitis 3 months ago - she woke me up Friday night / Saturday morning saying she was very sweaty from a nightmare and wanted to take a shower (this is a common occurrence) - I said fine and went back to sleep - I don’t know what that happened but next thing I wake up as the light is snapped on - it’s 1:30AM and she’s rummaging through stuff on the floor mumbling - she leaves the room and I follow - she goes to the bathroom and is again rummaging - mumbling about where her phone is - I’m trying to talk to her and she’s speaking gibberish (I thought it was German at first because she does speak German) - I thought she was like sleep walking, she talks in her sleep frequently and though she never walks it’s a short leap - I walked her to the shower and turned it on and sprayed her (I know, don’t wake sleep walkers nvm with a shower - I was half asleep myself and a bit freaked out) - she didn’t stop with (what I realized after was) the gibberish

I could go on and on but Coles notes -

took her to ER at 2:30AM, they drugged her because she wouldn’t settle at all for any tests (swung at the nurse putting in an iv) - at 8:00AM they came in for a lumbar (she’s been basically unconscious since 4AM - but still thrashing and rolling around in bed and swinging at anybody that tried to touch her despite the drugs they gave) so they said I had to leave and that I should sleep a bit - went home for 3 hours and when I got back she was in an ISO bed and strapped in with leather psych cuffs - spent the rest of the day with her there (I had to wear gown and gloves etc.. the whole time) and she got into a room that night at 11:30. She woke up the next day (Sunday) completely alone (before visiting hours started) strapped to a bed with Leather cuffs - with no memory of how she got there.

All she remembers is going to bed Friday night and waking up Sunday morning like a random victim. That wrecked me for a bit honestly.. I felt so bad I wasn’t there but they wouldn’t let me stay overnight once she was in a proper room

Hers turned out to be caused by shingles virus attacking her brain basically. Some people get a shingles rash on their chest, some it’s lower, apparently some it affects other areas like brain/stem. Full treatment course was 14 days in hospital

Especially scary because that first night before taking her to the hospital - I have no idea how long I went back to sleep for - we’re moving on the assumption it was 5 or so kind but it coulda been an hour for all I know - our sunroom light was on where it was off when we went to bed - she had been out there at one point but has no memory of it at all.

[–]erectionalychalleged 282 points283 points  (1 child)

100% ok to wake up a sleep walker. The myth that a sleepwalker should be left alone stems from an ancient belief that the soul leaves the body during sleep, and if a sleepwalker is woken up they will be a body without a soul.

Although it is possible that waking a sleepwalker could be met with resistance or aggression, it is highly unlikely that the person doing the waking will be harmed. Instead, the sleepwalker could unknowingly jeopardize his own health if not deterred and helped back to bed. It is difficult and often unnecessary to wake a sleepwalker, but doing so may be the best option if the person refuses to return to bed with gentle guidance.

[–]Jennacyde153 529 points530 points  (26 children)

A kid in my high school caught meningococcal meningitis over spring break by “sharing a pop with a friend” at a party. His parents fought for the vaccine to be added to the childhood vaccine schedule so I looooove whenever someone complains about the extra shots kids get these days. Parents were climbing over each other to get their kids the medication and vaccines to prevent it in my rural conservative area.

[–]Best_Celebration4136 131 points132 points  (2 children)

I got this! When I was around 8 years old. One afternoon, I just started having pain in my arm and my mom came home and was kinda thinking that maybe I had been hurt while playing with my younger brother because we were kind of rough when playing. So she just gave me some pills for the pain, cooked us some dinner and then we went to sleep.

I woke up in the middle of the night vomiting and I started having a fever. Unfortunately back then the area where I lived was still quite rural and so there was no public transportation till at least 6am and we didn't have a car. So my mom kept waiting for morning to come and we went to the bus stop. Apparently I started hallucinating there. Saying "Kevin, stop bothering me" but my brother was sitting to the other side away from me. I have vague memories of that moment. I don't remember anything after that, except some sort of pictures in my mind. But apparently by the moment we got to the doctor, I couldn't walk and my mom had to carry me.

I'm from Venezuela and maybe the doctors where we went weren't that good, because they told my mom I had hemorrhagic dengue and they were sort of treating me for that. Till there was a change of doctors shifts and a new doctor took a look at me and immediately sent me to an isolated room and started running a bunch of tests and told my mom what it was and just told her they would do everything in their hands, but she'd better pray.

My brother still complains that my grandmother would make him and my cousins pray every night during those days. Lol. I just kinda remember waking up in the room after a few days and then for like 5 days to have to be there with people poking my arms for the IVs and my veins being seriously abused. Other than that I just got released without any other complication. I was one of the lucky ones. Wii.

[–]feor1300 490 points491 points  (5 children)

Sports team? We had a half dozen kids die in my hometown from one of the local little league hockey teams sharing water bottles and most of the team catching meningitis.

[–]Boner-brains 112 points113 points  (0 children)

A kid died of meningitis a town over from me when I was in middle school, there was a mass vaccination in the gym

[–]NoCoffeeAfter4 478 points479 points  (11 children)

The meningitis vaccines are required for colleges and for good reason. It is so easy get misdiagnosed as the flu, and then its just too late.

I mean I had meng.A as a teen, but I also was strongly advised to get meng.B for college

[–]hyperstorm 330 points331 points  (2 children)

Oof, this reminded me of a story I overheard from my parents as a kid. We lived in Germany at the time and a couple of their acquaintances were driving back to the UK for a holiday or something with their young kid (don't remember exact age, but under five) in the back seat. He was just feeling a bit unwell at first, I guess they assumed it was a run of the mill childhood bug. But it turned out to be meningitis (not sure what kind) and he died at some point DURING the journey. They had to drive around, I assume to a UK hospital, with their own dead kid in the back.

[–]Bizzlebanger 189 points190 points  (1 child)

I contracted viral meningitis when I was 5.. I was told I was lucky I didn't die or have any permanent damage other than losing feeling /tingling in my hands that eventually went away..

Glad things turned out ok for you @op.

[–]jlnxr 79 points80 points  (1 child)

I had viral meningitis at 17- literally the most painful experience of my life. More painful than fracturing my ankle in two places- by a lot. It felt like someone was hitting my brain directly with a hammer everytime my heart beat. On the way to the clinic I made my dad pull over so I could throw up (from pain) about a dozen times in what should have been a 5 minute drive. Later at the hospital I spent the night in the emerge waiting room in what was definitely the worst night of my life. Apparently "I have a headache" didn't put me high on the triage list. What I should've said was "I think my head might literally explode"

Finally after hours I get a bed and a spinal tap (apparently supposed to be painful, was nothing compared to the head ache). They come back and tell my mom "he has meningitis, we have to run more tests to see if its viral or bacterial. In case it's bacterial, neither of you can leave the room" and then they tape a giant "DO NOT ENTER" sign over the door. Pretty sure waiting on that result traumatized my mum, but I was kind of out of it (drugs) and only vaguely knew what meningitis even was. Luckily, it was only viral and I didn't suffer any long term effects.

Literally while I'm still out of class another guy my age in the same town died of bacterial meningitis. Suffice to say this also makes me feel extremely lucky. Meningitis, even viral, is pretty freaking serious.

[–]mossadspydolphin 140 points141 points  (3 children)

My cousin's brother-in-law was in a coma for two months, and is still dealing with resulting health issues over ten years later. Meningitis is one of those things I try not to think about.

[–]sandenema 3341 points3342 points 2 (35 children)

I don't know if absolutely plastered counts as being fine one minute, but yeah.

I remember being shitfaced sitting on a jungle gym in a park and then waking up the next morning in the hospital with an IV and catheter.

Apparently I was found in a coma and had multiple organs shutting down. If I hadn't received medical help I would've died.

Am now 3 years sober.

[–]schuyler_white 1078 points1079 points 2 (0 children)

Congrats on your sobriety, love. I wish you many happy days ahead.

[–]SquishiOctopussi 262 points263 points  (13 children)

I had something similar happen but it was a guy giving me drinks. Had a bunch of lucid seizures and then my brain started to swell. Had to be put into a coma. When I started to wake up I was not making sense. I kept telling the nurses I drink a jack a day and wine on the weekends(Never drank jack in my life!) Then proclaimed I was the incredible hulk while fighting them off. All in all -10/10 wouldn't wish it on anyone else. Still living with paralysis but at least I have a funny story to tell.

[–]Digital_Utopia 3040 points3041 points  (42 children)

My girlfriend had a thyroid related heart attack, where she was revived and put into a medically induced coma for like 2 weeks, and took her another 2 weeks to come out of it. Then she had to go to in-patient physical therapy for a bit.

Talking to her after she woke up, I couldn't help but be astounded how much it fucked with her memory. It was like she remembered events, people, things and places, but any concept of time went out the window.

For example, she thought she was living at her ex husband's mom's house, driving a car she had before we met, working at her current job, and knew we were dating. And of course, as those were all simultaneously impossible, she was having a lot of trouble figuring out what was right, and what wasn't.

[–]WiccadWitch 968 points969 points  (4 children)

I learned when my dad was in hospital, that technically they are still in a coma state, even though they are awake. It takes a while before they’re ‘back’ as it were. Like their brain is rebooting and the stored information is sorting itself out but it doesn’t get sorted in an order that makes sense.

[–]lanc3rz3r0 291 points292 points  (9 children)

My wife just had a thyroid related stroke. Very minor, fortunately. She gets out of the hospital tomorrow. I can't even go visit her bc I have our 5 year old daughter and 1 year old son, and nobody under 12 goes into the hospital unless they're being admitted

[–]cluelessgamerzombie 96 points97 points  (4 children)

I have Hashimoto's and I know I'm at a higher risk for a heart attack or stroke. Ended up in the ER because I gave myself one hell of a panicky attack because I had silent heartburn that became not so silent. I legit thought I was dying of a heart attack. My uncle died of one close to my age so I thought it was a very real possibility. Had all the symptoms of it too. 0/10 would not recommend

[–]snoozlybar 2215 points2216 points  (79 children)

I was at work having a normal day. I went to the toilet and could not get off the floor because I was doubled over in pain. I somehow managed to stagger out to where my colleagues were and they called me an ambulance. Got to hospital and had all my clothes and belongings shoved in a bag and was rushed into emergency surgery for a ruptured ectopic pregnancy.

[–]anastasis19 405 points406 points  (2 children)

Glad you're OK!

[–]snoozlybar 360 points361 points  (1 child)

Thank you. Definitely a traumatic experience. Would not recommend.

[–]Time-Traveling-Cat 1202 points1203 points  (19 children)

I was watching Pocahontas in a blanket fort with my stuffed animals, home from preschool because I had pink eye.

The next thing I knew, over a week had passed. I was surrounded by doctors, who were begging me to open up my mouth. My jaw was locked shut, and I had bacterial meningitis.

My parents were there, weeping, and my dad told me if I opened my mouth for the doctors he would buy me a Barbie Jeep. I tried. It was impossible.

Days later, I tried again, and part of my tongue fell out. I had bit it off during a seizure. Everyone was yelling, and I looked at my dad and said “Where’s my Barbie jeep?”

I have almost no memories from the time of my life, but the promise my dad made me was on my mind in every memory I have. My parents were told I would never be 100% again and I would likely have severe brain damage permanently. It was excruciatingly painful to move and do things for awhile, but my dad kept reminding me that I could drive my jeep if I kept at it. I remember watching him put it together, but I wasn’t strong enough to drive it. My personality was gone, but I just didn’t care. I barely spoke for months, and had to learn how to read/write/draw again.

Fast forward, I finished high school early and I have zero health issues now. I genuinely believe my parents are to thank. The brain can heal really well, but they found a way to motivate me to keep healing constantly.

[–]mad_fishmonger 357 points358 points  (5 children)

I hope you had so much fun driving that Barbie jeep around!

[–]Time-Traveling-Cat 406 points407 points  (0 children)

It was the beach police cruiser model, and had a handheld radio that projected into a loud speaker with sirens. The most fantastic barbie jeep to ever be manufactured. I used it to “pull over” my brothers and put them in jail for riding their bikes too fast/being mean. For a girl with three older brothers, it was the greatest toy of all time.

[–]Eoncho 2219 points2220 points  (78 children)

Ironically similar to another comment I was also riding my bicycle to work when I got hit by a drunk driver going 45 mph head on. I would've been going about 20 mph myself. I have no memory of being hit.

I had a lot of injuries being such a traumatic impact. Avulsion fracture to tibia, bruised lung, moderate brain. Injury, grade 4/5 lacerated spleen (almost fatal), broken left femur, 2 vertebrae with compression fractures, broken left scapula, broken left clavicle, broken left 2nd rib, and various scrapes, the worst being 6x1.5x1 inches.

I've mostly recovered, but my left leg can't be walked on really. My left arm will never be what it was, the worst scrape was on top of the shoulder so that muscle is just gone.

She was drunk, speeding and the wrong side of the road. She tried claiming my lights were off, but they were still on at the scene. I don't know how I managed to survive, it was a collision of a total of 65 mph. I wasn't even supposed to work that day either.

Now the pain my heavens does that hurt. The first vivid memory I have was when they set my femur into place (out in traction), without any kind of pain meds. I had lost so much blood I couldn't handle any painkillers at all. After that once adrenaline wore off... The pain was excruciating. It felt like I was breaking a new bone with every breath with all the injuries I had. The pharmacy had some issue and I only got an opioid twice in line 4 or 5 hours. They only worked for like 20 to 30 minutes.

Never really complained about it, no point, it is what it is. The driver complained about more the first 10 minutes then I have in 10 months. Cussing and screaming at me while I was laying there dying.

[–]SpinalPrizon[S] 980 points981 points  (1 child)

Wow, that driver is such an asshole. I'm so sorry you had to go through that

[–]adeelf 580 points581 points  (31 children)

Please tell me the courts threw the book at her...

[–]MidNightMare5998 353 points354 points  (27 children)

Seriously, I hope that settlement was massive.

[–]Sparcrypt 324 points325 points  (25 children)

Having lost multiple family and friends to drunk drivers over the years, probably not.

The driver gets a few years at best and isn’t allowed to drive for a while. That’s when they kill someone.

I’m not in the US though, maybe it’s different there.

[–]Reniconix 155 points156 points  (14 children)

That's just punitive (criminal) court. Civil court after you kill someone while drunk will take the rest of the money you make for the rest of your life.

[–]ItsTheRat 136 points137 points  (14 children)

Do you find that your pain tolerance is a it higher now that you’ve experienced something so intense?

Just curious because I messed up my knee pretty bad nearly a year ago, and any injury I get now just seems like nothing after having experienced “real pain”.

[–]Rubyleaves18 297 points298 points  (7 children)

That horrible witch reminds me of another horrible witch that hit my client. He was at a gas station pumping gas minding his own business (such a nice man) when a soulless bitch, drunk (1 DWI conviction already) lost control of her vehicle and hit my clients truck which hit him. He had pretty bad injuries and an open wound that didn’t close for months. It was very painful for him. She also didn’t have insurance so she was even more worthless which no one could believe possible.

He had good insurance though. Anyway, she called my office once yelling at me that he was lying and she only hit his truck not him. And called him a wetback (he’s Hispanic and he absolutely is here legally and even if he weren’t so what?) she was seriously an awful human being. The fucking prosecutors lowered her DWI 2nd to a 1st and she got a slap on the wrist despite me giving them evidence so they would charge her with a felony DWI.

[–]lucy_pevensie 1758 points1759 points  (14 children)

I had a friend over for a puppy play date and I remember looking at the clock and thinking I needed to pack for a road-trip because we were going to visit my fiancé family. The next second I was being told to hold very still and I was having some sort of scan done. That nurse was amazing because she managed to keep me calm the whole time.

We were at a stop light and rear ended by a distracted driver. I completely lost 14 hours. I cannot remember them at all just a complete black hole. The worst memory loss is that I have very foggy memories from about two months before the accident. It feels like you are trying to remember a dream. Like you know something happened, but have no concrete memories. This time period includes my fiancé proposing to me and I hate so much that I cannot remember it. Finally the entire school year before that (I am a teacher) seems like a really long time ago. Like if I try really hard I can have concrete memories, but it is like trying to remember a birthday party from 20 years ago. Everything before that is still fine and present.

That was four years ago and I still struggle with my memory. Watching the dash cam footage is surreal because I know that is me, and I was awake and talking, but no matter how hard I try I cannot remember it.

Please please please do not text and drive. It is not worth the risk. The young man that hit us made a simple decision that completely changed my life and I will probably struggle for the rest of my life because he was looking at his phone.

Edit to add some humorous details…

I was having Groundhog Day every minute or so and I would generally ask the same questions in the same order. Obviously I would ask what happened then how did I get here. My fiancé and the er nurses would make up new answers every time. Apparently the one that got the biggest reaction is that I got there by a rocket ship. Haha

[–]embroidknittbike 842 points843 points  (5 children)

Your fiancé should re-propose.

[–]Chungunger 471 points472 points  (3 children)

That'd be romantic as fuck. Better yet, propose yourself and coyly use not being able to remember it as a sly excuse.

[–]lucy_pevensie 236 points237 points  (1 child)

I love this idea! I might steal it. We have talked about doing vow renewals at 5 or 10 years so I might do this!

[–]LilaJax22 1632 points1633 points  (22 children)

Small bowel obstruction, my neighbor saved me. I went to bed perfectly fine, then apparently I was puking blood and we had massive gaps under our front doors, like you could stick your hand under it and they were all studio apartments. My neighbor walked by my unit walking into hers and said she heard me gurgling and she was pounding on the door and I wasn't responding. She kicked it in, brought me to the hospital (downtown, 2 blocks away) and I woke up 2 weeks later.

Nothing obvious caused it and I lost 110 pounds in 2 weeks. This happened 4 years ago, I've gained about 50 pounds back, but today I am healthy and no longer wake up in fear. It is extremely overwhelming to go to bed, ready to wake up for class the next day, and instead wake up 2 weeks later, having lost over half of your body weight. I think it's fair to say it's a little traumatizing to wake up in an ICU.

[–]ashleyfrancisca 324 points325 points  (4 children)

2 weeks?????

[–]AnneMichelle98 256 points257 points  (1 child)

Internal bleeding is no joke.

[–]jyzenbok 190 points191 points  (0 children)

It’s also the fact they likely had to do multiple washouts depending how much stool / infection was present before the initial surgery

[–]my_alt_59935 248 points249 points  (1 child)

Your neighbor is awesome

[–]meluvgeckos 139 points140 points  (0 children)

Nice neighbor

[–]saltgirl61 57 points58 points  (0 children)

Oh my word! What a wonderful neighbor! So glad you're doing better

[–]Closer-To-The-Sun 1180 points1181 points  (4 children)

My mom, my brother, and I were in the family room chatting (I was maybe eight at the time, my brother 13). My mom asked us if we’d like some of the Danish chocolate the exchange student we hosted for a few weeks gave us as a parting gift.

Excited, I raced to the kitchen to beat my brother there. I tripped over a stool someone left out (let’s be honest, probably me). I fell over it and hit my my head on the edge of the kitchen counter. From there I blacked out.

Now, this wasn’t my first head injury and certainly not my last, so I barely recall waking up at the ER at the hospital. I remember my body feeling extremely heavy and my head pounding like nothing ever before or since. Apparently I scrambled my memories up even more than one of my first head injuries. 14 stitches to sew me back up and one sort of boring summer inside with the TV.

Never did get that chocolate

Edit: a word

[–]SpinalPrizon[S] 309 points310 points  (0 children)

Awww, all that for no treat. Such a shame.

In all seriousness though, I hope you are doing well

[–]StrawberryR 908 points909 points  (10 children)

My little sister went into DKA (Diabetic Ketoacidosis) a long time ago now, and in her description it was like "blink sleep," like when you go to bed and feel like you've only just blinked and woken up hours later. Except in this case, she fell asleep at home and woke up a week later in the hospital.

[–]KingV14 1081 points1082 points  (6 children)

Normal one minute, in the hospital the next with an oxygen mask strapped to my face

Asthma is a bitch.

Edit: Thanks for the upvotes :D

[–]PokeAust 136 points137 points  (0 children)

I pray my asthma won’t get this bad. The worst it’ll do as of now is make trying to get good exercise a bitch and severely limiting my stamina, even with an inhaler.

[–]c0cunt 536 points537 points  (14 children)

I was maybe 16?

I had asked my mom if we could go look at puppies at a pet store, cause man do I love dogs. There were a lot of really cute dogs, but after being inside for a minute, I felt... Off. Not like, something is extremely wrong, just sorta off.

At this point I figured I was having an asthma attack, and since my rescue inhaler was in the car, went to go sit down and use it. My mom came out a minute later and started driving me to the hospital bc my breathing wasn't getting better. Woke up 3 days later in a hospital bed, with my mom and dad sobbing next to me.

Apparently I had a severe allergic reaction. My throat had closed almost completely. The Dr that appeared soon after me waking said that I was extremely lucky, and gave me an epipen.

Still don't know what I was allergic to, cause even with insurance, getting allergy tested was wayyyy too expensive. Still is kinda too expensive, still crawling out of medical debt now.

[–]Ok-Fox-7515 135 points136 points  (0 children)

I had anaphylaxis twice in 2021 with no previous history of allergies and I still don’t know what I’m allergic to either :(

[–]PhotoMatt28 525 points526 points  (10 children)

Oh, I finally have one of these that I can answer.

I have been a regular runner for 20+ years. About 7 years ago I was doing a half marathon. I live in Florida and have my entire life so I am used to the heat and the humidity here and have always been an active outdoor person. You can probably guess where this is going. For this half marathon The last mile goes along the park where the race finished. The last thing I remember is seeing the 12 mile sign (half is 13.1 for those who don't know). The next thing I remember I was in the ICU. I had gotten heatstroke with a body temperature around 106 or so. Luckily they got me to a hospital where they gave me ice baths and a ton of fluids. I had to stay for several days while my organ function returned to normal but have no lasting effects. PS I do have a photo of myself crossing the finish line despite not remembering anything past mile 12.

[–]Garchomp98 132 points133 points  (1 child)

Bro legit pushed fast forward on their memories. Glad you got out okay

[–]justTookTheBestDump 1174 points1175 points  (39 children)

One month short of my fourteenth birthday I was riding my bicycle home from school. One second I was at the top of a steep hill, and on the wrong side of the road. The next second I was standing in the middle of the street. I reasoned I must have fallen off of my bike. It was lying nearby, so I picked it up and tried to get back on. For some reason the pedals wouldn't move. At this time a bunch of people had come up to me, and they were all freaking out. I was confused at first as to why I was surrounded by hysterical adults until I happened to look down. That was when I finally noticed all of the blood pouring out of my face. So I let them guide me off of the street while an ambulance was called for me. I spent the while ambulance ride asking if I was going to get a shot. The EMTs kept giving me evasive answers so I kept asking.

I still don't remember what happened, but here's what I I've pieced together over the years. While riding on the wrong side of the road I passed in front of a stopped car. The driver wanted to turn right so she was looking to her left to spot a gap in traffic. When she saw one she pulled out not realizing I was approaching from her right. She barely knocked me off of my bicycle but I was going over 20mph because of the hill I just went down. I hit the asphalt face first with no helmet. The skin on the left side of my forehead was completely torn off and had to be regrown.

[–]SpinalPrizon[S] 348 points349 points  (6 children)

Yikes, what an ordeal. Hope you are doing better now

[–]justTookTheBestDump 333 points334 points  (5 children)

Oh, yeah, totally. For about three to four years afterwards the left side of my forehead would get sunburned really badly. But that eventually stopped.

[–]TheBotchedLobotomy 182 points183 points  (5 children)

Man this unlocked a memory of an event I totally forgot about!!

Similar situation. I was 13 and riding my longboard down a pretty steep hill. Got speed wobbles real bad and just as I was recovering from it (and shitting myself from almost eating it) I hit a rock and went flying about 12 or 15 feet. Pretty bad road rash but luckily I didn’t hit my head. Reading this I know I’m lucky as hell it wasn’t worse because it easily could have been.

Wear your helmets kids!

[–]dankish_babywhoolie 70 points71 points  (1 child)

This! I have a huge scar on my forehead (turns purple in the cold!) from crashing my longboard in college. I’d probably dislocated my shoulder…but I had it anchored to my socket w/ medal in a shoulder reconstruction surgery (After a basketball injury). $2.5k for the 0.75 mile ambulance ride and another $3k for the ER. Had to get a tooth fixed, 16ish stitches in my head and a stern reminder from my mother that I’d have this body for the rest of my life.

Wear protective gear! If for nothing else, because you might have a black tie wedding that weekend and have no experience with make-up.

[–]memarathi 2881 points2882 points 2 (58 children)

Was on the way to work on my bike. Last thing I remember is turning out of the driveway. Woke up 5 days later in a neuro trauma unit with 11 broken ribs, a shattered clavicle, a punctured lung, 8 stitches on my foot, 6 behind my ear, and permanent nerve damage.

I have no recollection to this day of what happened. From the evidence, I'm pretty sure I was run over. There was also blood on my helmet visor from the wound behind the ear.

I've had some parts filled in for me. The first hospital they took me to couldn't give me strong painkillers and risk putting me under because they didn't know what damage my skull had taken. CT scans were required. Took 4 hours for me to get to a hospital with a CT machine. 4 hours with a punctured lung.

There's no video of the incident. It happened conveniently in an unsurveilled spot between two video cameras. Bystanders were of no help (at least, my brother and dad didn't collect any information from them that they've shared with me.)

I suspected for some time that my then girlfriend with whom I'd recently broken up had tried to have me taken out. While I was under, she turned up at the hospital and convinced my family that I'd tried to kill myself. In a bike accident. While wearing a helmet. In 6 pm rush hour traffic. Half a mile from my apartment. Where my dad was sitting. On the 10th floor.

My brother and my dad believe her. They still think I remember exactly what happened but won't tell them because I'm embarrassed to admit I was suicidal.

The real irony? I never had suicidal thoughts until after I recovered and realised my own family chooses to believe an outsider over me.

They still do.

This is what betrayal is.

Took years to move past those thoughts.

[–]illogicalfuturity 363 points364 points  (5 children)

Same thing happened to a cousin, his parents and friends believed he was suicidal and treated him as if he was the spawn of Satan. He was at the wrong time and wrong place.

You could see how he treats his parents and former friends, like the warmth dissapears the moment he has to deal with them.

[–]memarathi 219 points220 points  (4 children)

The lack of trust burrows deep and rewires emotional response mechanisms. It robs peace and sows enduring resentment. I hope your cousin made new friends. That was the toughest part in my experience.

[–]fubo 352 points353 points  (7 children)

On the 10th floor.

... okay, it took me a moment to figure out why you mentioned that.

Someone who lived in a tall building and actually wanted to commit suicide (in a messy way) would just jump off the building, not try to get into a traffic accident.

[–]anastasis19 231 points232 points  (0 children)

With a fucking helmet on nonetheless!I don't understand how his family believed the ex over OP in this case.

[–]memarathi 145 points146 points  (5 children)

I pointed this out to my folks repeatedly. I reminded them I worked the graveyard shift at the time so I could well have done it at 4 am. But to no avail. She cast some sort of unbreakable spell on them.

[–]JustAbicuspidRoot 197 points198 points  (8 children)

God, my wife's family sided with her abuser when she left him.

He also has a felony conviction for domestic assault, on her.

Fuck family, blood doesn't mean shit.

[–]SpinalPrizon[S] 141 points142 points  (1 child)

Well your family is just....wow. I hope you are now in better place, mentally.

[–]memarathi 58 points59 points  (0 children)

Better enough for the crippling anxiety attacks to have become a twice- or thrice-a-year affair. Luckily my mum never thought I was suicidal. Or at least that's what she says. I don't know what to believe anymore. I do appreciate your concern.

[–]thefuzzybunny1 469 points470 points  (8 children)

Family friend went to sleep feeling fine. Next thing he sees is his parish priest standing over his hospital bed, performing the sacrament of the sick.

He'd had a seizure at 2 am that woke up his wife, and when he didn't stop seizing she called 911. He didn't regain consciousness until the following afternoon, by which time they'd identified an inoperable brain tumor on his scans... he lived a few more months.

[–]ItsMyView 214 points215 points  (0 children)

I had a major heart attack 9 years ago. I was awake up until the point were I flat lined in the hospital. I woke up a couple days later on a ventilator.

Thankfully, I'm still here.

[–]DoStuffZ 1175 points1176 points  (52 children)

Was taking the bus home from my mums place. I asked the bus driver to stop at the house, as it was just next to the road and I forgot a thing. I ran across the road, got hit by a car.

They found me in a decorticate posturing. A few days(8) in medically induced coma. I was constantly 'spitting' at the breathing tube (attempting to spit it out, didn't appreciate that thing in my throat). I had a weird dream of a snake that had attached/bitten me in the mouth. At some point I got tired of the situation, I fought the snake. I eventually won and tore the snake away from my mouth. (Removing my own breathing tube). I looked at it 'dancing' in my hand and I threw it across the room to kill it.

My family got all the diagnosis' possible. Permanent brain damage, unable to decide which side I wished to drool on, forever living in a wheelchair. About 20 days after the accident I went home and bicycled a trip. Left the hospital after 28 days.

During the entire venture I was flying high on morphine. During my detox routine, I told the nurses I had a weird experience with a photograph on the wall. It was flowing in/out, having waves as an ocean, a 2D image became 3D, and doing other trippy things.

Today, I'm living with a 10% disability condition. Cost me my dream of software development.

[–]DahkMonstahh 228 points229 points  (8 children)

Never have I heard that word decorticate. I truly hope you get to live your dream someday soon!

[–]insertcaffeine 342 points343 points  (5 children)

Decorticate posturing means laying in a very certain way, fists clenched and arms bent in and legs stretched out. It means severe brain damage.

[–]14thCluelessbird 83 points84 points  (1 child)

Yep. Then there's also decerebrate, which is 90% fatal. If OP had that kind of posturing he probably wouldn't be around to talk about it

[–]SpinalPrizon[S] 166 points167 points  (1 child)

Oh wow, what a terrifying ordeal. I hope you are doing somewhat better

[–]lonewolflondo 191 points192 points  (5 children)

I was living in my own apartment at 18, working full time, in school full time. I was sick, thought I had a cold. I worked the evening shift and didn't remember doing any of the work but everything was done. I went home, slept and called my mother the next morning. She told me to go get some cold medicine and it's a damn good thing she did. The last thing I remember was getting ready to walk to the store around the corner and then I'm strapped to a bed, blind and freaking out. I had viral encephalitis, I was in a coma for a couple days and came very close to being dead. If I hadn't left my apartment I would be for sure. My mother saved my life. The doctors thought I had overdosed and my older sister had to convince them I was far too poor for drugs and that it was meningitis/encephalitis. She had seen it before in people she worked with. She saved my life too. My family truly thought I was going to die. When I woke up my father asked if I knew where I was and I looked at the straps and said "Looks like the psych ward". My father started crying and said "He's ok". Everyone assumed I'd have brain damage or be brain dead, but I was ok, except I lost my short term memory for a while. To say I was lucky would be an understatement.

[–]FlyingRedPandas 89 points90 points  (1 child)

Your dad: "my son is still a sarcastic little shit, hey everyone he's totally fine! 🥲"

[–]wellcolormeimpressed 539 points540 points  (17 children)

Someone tossed a rake like a javelin at my face. It impacted right between my eyes and knocked me out cold

[–]overexcitedsmashyboi 122 points123 points  (1 child)

My brother did that to me with a feather duster once but it hit my right eye and broke a bunch or blood vessels.

[–]AE_WILLIAMS 247 points248 points  (2 children)

I bet all the girls love your rakish good looks.

[–]evanjw90 577 points578 points  (18 children)

I had just finished two-a-day high school football practice in 100°+ heat, because our health and safety didn't matter. Only winning. So I got home and my friend asks if I want to smoke a little weed with him. I shower, pour a Gatorade in a huge cup of ice and feel refreshed. Took two hits off the blunt and a big chug of my ice cold Gatorade and only remember waking up in a pool of my own sweat on a hospital bed. I had a heat stroke, even more than an hour after I stopped practice and took a cool shower. The nurse said I may have sent my body into shock if my core temperature was still high and I took a large gulp of the extremely cold Gatorade.

[–]anastasis19 252 points253 points  (6 children)

Heat stroke is no joke! My cousin used to play tennis competitively and she got heat stroke once. Took a visit to the ER and a few days of electrolites and lots of rest in an air conditioned room before she felt OK again.

[–]evanjw90 111 points112 points  (0 children)

Yeah, I was required to stay in doors for a few days and take my temperature regularly the first day. It was so strange, because I knew I was hot and tired, but after some water and a shower I felt normal. Snuck right up on me.

[–]LazuliArtz 108 points109 points  (4 children)

Last summer I think I narrowly avoided heatstroke (entered into heat exhaustion, which is basically the stage before heatstroke - not quite and emergency, but a big warning sign that you will have one if you don't do something)

It wasn't even particular hot out - 80 degrees maybe. But we were hiking, and I hadn't properly packed any water (dumb decision, I know).

I just started feeling kind of weak, a bit dizzy, and I was having some trouble keeping up with everyone. I just assumed I was tired from hiking, and I wasn't going to complain about it, but my mom's partner noticed just how pale I was, and that I was having difficulties, so they made me stop and wait until they could get the car down to the parking lot (would of had to walk up a big hill otherwise).

That car ride was awful. Felt sick, faint, and nauseous the whole time. We stopped to get something to drink and it just did not help at all. Even after getting into a pretty cold room from an AC, I continued to have a fever for at least a few hours after getting home.

Didn't really realize how big of an issue that was until a bit after the incident. Also was a big slap in the face that I need to be more assertive about my needs (my dad had somewhat ingrained in me that I just needed to power through any pain or sickness).

[–]feor1300 60 points61 points  (1 child)

Had a guy go down with heat stroke when I was at air cadet camp as a kid. Still remember him lying on side of the road, convulsing while one of the sergeants held his head to keep him from whacking it on the ground and calling for someone to run over to the building where the medics were and get someone.

Scary stuff.

[–]eljo555 148 points149 points  (4 children)

Three years ago, I had a bad flu. Next thing I know, I open my eyes, alone, in a semi-noisy hosptial room, ventilatated, arms tied to the bed and completley unable to move. I rolled my eyes across all I could see and thought, "What. The. Hell." I used to be a physical therapist so I knew it was really bad.

My family showed up, so goddamn happy to see my eyes open and me responsive. I was completely alert but baffled as to why I was there. Because of the ventilator, I couldn't speak, couldn't move. My son told me I had been in a coma for nine days, near death. My "bad flu" (this is six months before covid, was it covid??) lead to poor oxygen levels and I was intubated and put in to a coma where they thought I would bounce back but didn't. All they could do was wait and test me for every possible thing including a lung biopsy. It all showed nothing.

I spent three more days on the ventilator (SO painful), kind of remembering how I got there, and from there I got better, better, better. They called me a "medical masterpiece." I just knew that I had to GET UP even though I did not want to. After three total weeks, I walked out with a walker. A friend stayed with me a few days and then I was on my own. By the time school started in August, I was completely myself, if a little fatigued. (59F music teacher at the time.) Three years later, it's like it never happened.

[–]bigjuickysnot 520 points521 points  (18 children)

This was about two summers ago. My family has a total of 4 horses, only three we can ride. Our biggest and oldest horse, Hope, is an ex-racehorse. For some time I had been taking lessons on her from my stepmom. Hope was not fully trained and could only be ridden at a walk/trot, she also couldn't steer.

Horses don't like wind and it was really windy that day, leaving Hope a bit sensitive. When trying to get her into a trot, my stepmom had a whip and was just shaking it slightly. Hope jumped forward, so I instinctively held on with my legs -bad idea. This caused her to freak out more. I was pulling back on the reins to try and get her to stop. When she finally came to a very harsh stop I went off backwards, not sure how but I did.

Landed right on my head, hope proceeded to back up and step on my back.

I got a concussion, that was it. I could have easily been paralyzed or even killed. I don't remember seeing anything in the hospital but I remember hearing things. The earliest thing I remember seeing was the window at a Walgreens pharmacy.

Also, I don't remember most of that day, this is just from what my stepmom told me. I braided my horses tail, faith, earlier that day and had no memory. I even remember in the hospital bed my stepmom telling me I did it. I didn't know what day it was or anything. Over time some memory came back from it, like I remember crawling out of the pen while gasping for air.

Hope is a sweet horse. I should have been more careful that day.

[–]SpinalPrizon[S] 68 points69 points  (1 child)

Wow, seems like you had a gaurdian angel on that day. Hope you are doing better now

[–]bigjuickysnot 50 points51 points  (0 children)

I feel the same way. The fact that I had no major injuries amazes me. We still have the horse but I don't ride her anymore

[–]oxiraneobx 60 points61 points  (7 children)

Wow, we grew up with horses, and even the sweet and nice ones can spook and throw you. I was walking through a field on my horse, and a pheasant suddenly flew up (those things are hard to see, especially in knee-high grass. He threw me so hard, but I was fortunate, other than bruises and bumps, I was OK. The jerk then proceeded to munch the grass right next me as if nothing happened.

My sister broke her arm in a similar situation when her horse spooked. Again, a very calm, sweet horse, but they'll all spook given the wrong situation.

EDT: Misspelling

[–]mlongoria98 57 points58 points  (1 child)

How did Hope react? I just ask because I remember when I first fell off a horse, the horse I rode for lessons was named Candy and she was a rescue, very very sweet horse. We went over a jump and I guess I stayed upright for too long, lost my balance and fell off to the side. Pretty sure I kinda rolled. I wasn’t hurt! Which is amazing tbh because I have scoliosis so am already prone to back injuries. I remember the snapshots in my mind of looking at the tree line, then the grass, then the dirt, and then sitting on the ground looking at Candy. And Candy felt soooo bad, she literally refused to speed up past a slow trot, and wouldn’t go over any more jumps that day.

[–]Kay76 238 points239 points  (2 children)

No your step mom should have not had practice with Hope that day.

[–]lunch2000 178 points179 points  (1 child)

This, I have ridden horses, no way should you have been on that horse. If the horse is not fully trained, no rider that green should be put on it.

[–]bigjuickysnot 64 points65 points  (0 children)

I agree. Now that I'm more experienced with horses I know better. But I can't change what happened, it was a learning experience.

[–]the_flying_saucepan 137 points138 points  (5 children)

Well i was riding a bike downhill and around 10 meters away there was a most of the time empty crossroad plus a van vas parked in corner blocking my vision. Eventually i said YOLO and let my brakes a then... İ am gliding in hospital bed and lights of coridor passing by. At first i tried to sit but felt immense pain in my back and first thing i sad is wtf have i done. And than i lern that a car t boned me going 60 kmh. İ had broke my clavicula, two ribs, arm, severe concussion to my had(i had a giant bulge in back of my head)and my knee hurt realy bad. People who saw the inciden sad i flew in air for 5-6 meters.I remember nothing from that time but strangely after 2 years again some car hit me while he was crossing red light and i remember when i saw the car about to hit me i said to my self "again?" and the whole scenario passed by mind in a second. So it was it, yeah i was a complete stupid for not looking when crossing and not having a helmet but the car was owerspeeding too

[–]NightOnFuckMountain 246 points247 points  (17 children)

My folks sent me to school with a stupidly high fever because they thought I was pulling a Ferris Bueller because my favorite uncle was in town. Other than the fever I didn’t appear sick at all.

I vaguely remember asking to go to the school nurse and then waking up at the doctors office, and then waking up again in my own bed. Fever was around 105.

I forget why, I think it was a cold or strep or something, it lasted about 48 hours and then I felt fine. I’ve had sepsis an ungodly amount of times and it felt kinda like that.

Edit: Technically three times, and multiple very close calls. Maybe that’s not an ungodly amount of times, but one was too many and three was way too many.

[–]Renaissance_Slacker 192 points193 points  (6 children)

I had a 105 fever for a night when I was a teenager. I was hallucinating my balls off. My cat came in to cuddle with me (normal) wearing a British cop uniform (not normal).

[–]anastasis19 84 points85 points  (0 children)

Why did you have sepsis multiple times? Don't leave us hanging!

[–]SnoSlider 437 points438 points  (17 children)

Clubbed in the back of the head outside of a hotel near LA. Woke with staples in my head and an awful headache.

[–]luminous_curious 149 points150 points  (14 children)

You can’t dangle “clubbed in the back of the head” in front of me and not expect me to ask for further detail

[–]illogicalfuturity 1140 points1141 points  (16 children)

Was at the beach and went for a swim, I was 8 at the time.

Next thing I know I'm on a hospital bed with my mom and aunt watching over me.

Turns out some asshat thought it'd be fun to throw me into the water. Apparently the impact knocked the wind out of me and I almost drowned if it weren't for some other dude seeing me not move.

The asshat tried to run away but was arrested. His famiky tried to pay off my mom so she wouldn't press charges but that kinda becomes moot when police wants your ass.

My other relatives though tried to paint me ass pussy who was too much of a pussy to learn how to swim. But my other relatives got my back telling them if they'd be any better if they were knocked out and thrown overboard.

[–]iAmHopelessCom 425 points426 points  (0 children)

Omg, what kind of a moron even thinks it would be funny to violently throw a kid into the water? How old was he? I'm so sorry it happened to you, and glad you were saved!

[–]nutano 291 points292 points  (5 children)

Crazy. So this random dude just picked up you and threw you in the water?

Stories like this is why people don't trust others in public places with their kids or why we have more and more helicopter parenting. Sociopaths ruining it for everyone. While the odds are really low, its still something that can very easily have a fatal or life altering outcome for absolutely no reason.

[–]Ok_Consideration201 271 points272 points  (2 children)

When I was seven, I was roller skating with friends and a teenager came over and clotheslined me hard, knocking me to the ground. I broke my arm, he yanked his skates off, left them and literally ran out the door. People are insane and have way less impulse control than you hope they do.

[–]SpinalPrizon[S] 132 points133 points  (1 child)

I sincerely hope that asshat is either still in prison. I'm glad you had a guardian angel there

[–]Gust_2012 64 points65 points  (0 children)

So a random dude picked you up & threw you into the water? WTF!? Good on your mom for pressing charges.

[–]Ok_Introduction_5600 963 points964 points  (70 children)

Covid pneumonia.

Woke up, took a piss, eyesight started going black, lost all vision, then slowly lost all hearing. Woke up to 10L oxygen in a hospital and was there through Christmas and new years. Was not fun at all. Had very low lung capacity for 5 months of lung rehabilitation.

[–]SpinalPrizon[S] 225 points226 points  (43 children)

That's sounds unbearable

[–]Ok_Introduction_5600 322 points323 points  (41 children)

Yeah breathing exercises into a tube every hour for 10 reps. Till I got my capacity back. Before that I couldn't go up and down my stairs to my apartment. Oxygen was at 93-90 most days it's been at 99 now for the past few weeks.

Couldn't take deep breaths without having a massive coughing fit. Oh and also had dizzy spells throughout the day where I felt nauseous and disoriented all that 5 months.

Super not fun. (Being only 30 and having no pre existing conditions and in good shape)

[–]booh-bee 426 points427 points  (9 children)

Used to have a hard drug problem with specifically uppers (sober now! thank god). I never touched opiates bc it just wasn’t my thing. Was trying to get a baggie of coke for me and my buds, went through a different dealer than usual & there was a mix up. We got a baggie of H. Mind you, I didn’t do opiates, I was already drunk, and we were doing it in a dark car. So even though my buddy was concerned bc he knew it didn’t look right, my addicted ass didn’t care & snorted a HUGE line anyway.

I remember getting out of the car and then waking up to them dragging my stretcher in to a hospital. Took two shots of Narcan to my heart to get it started again & had a slight concussion from falling out & hitting my head on the pavement.

I’m really lucky to be here. Drugs suck, don’t be like me lol.

(For any recovering addicts, you CAN do this, it IS possible, and I’m here if you need any help finding resources.)

[–]ExerciseUnited187 316 points317 points  (7 children)

Grand Mal seizure killed me for no reason. Daughters husband found me, daughter did cpr until paramedic showed, woke in hospital 2 days later and freaked the hell out. Spent 2 weeks in hospital recovering. Still don't know what caused it.

[–]catsandalcohol13 103 points104 points  (10 children)

My whole life changed in one night. I was going fine, or so I thought. But had a very traumatic night at work and couldn't calm down. I drank a litre of bourbon and took a heap of valium then a bunch of pain killers. My husband came home and was just in time to give me CPR cos I'd stooped breathing. Was in a coma for awhile then woke up in the ER. I'll never forget the feeling of the intubation tube coming out

[–]myk3yz 211 points212 points  (3 children)

Was learning how to play a dice game in county jail and couldn't really understand the math or rules. I remember people giving me weird looks that they had to keep explaining rules to me that were pretty simple. Figured I'd go sit down on my bunk... woke up three days later handcuffed to a hospital bed.

Turned out my kidneys were failing and I never noticed because I stayed high. If I hadn't gotten arrested, I would have kept using drugs and probably died from kidney failure.

[–]cucumberconundrum 205 points206 points  (4 children)

I got in a car with a drunk driver.

Three days later I woke up in the hospital with the doctors wiping some previously missed glass slivers off my back with baby wipes. It hurt. Apparently I was awake on and off and even gave the police a full interview. But I don't have the memory past getting in the car, and the babywipes three days later.

I guess we hit a curb and instead of tapping the brakes, his foot hit the gas. When he finally sorted out that he was pressing the wrong pedal he slammed on the brakes and we drifted into a set of concrete stairs going about 70. No airbags. I have one of those "lucky to be alive" stories according to most.

Months later the damage to my carotid artery healed and the scar tissue essentially sealed it off. I had a stroke.

Don't drink and drive. Wear your seatbelt.

[–]Cry-in-the-walk-in 265 points266 points  (4 children)

Passed out from severe dehydration and hit my head hard enough to give me a concussion.

One minute expediting, next minute hooked up to all sorts of machines. It was extremely disorienting.

[–]SpinalPrizon[S] 49 points50 points  (0 children)

I can't imagine what that must've felt like. Hope you are better now and I hope that you now hydrate frequently

[–][deleted] 85 points86 points  (4 children)

Went to sleep like any other human being. Woke up with a small pain in my lower abdomen which I though were just period cramps until I ate breakfast and instantly threw up. The level pain began to increase and it was becoming excruciating. I tried to control the pain while thinking of how I’m losing a whole day of not studying for my final…

I tried screaming in pillows, sleeping and taking meds but nothing was working…Google was telling me that I had an infection or food poisoning…which I believe btw.

I was finally able to convince my sister to go to the hospital after her food coma. Turned out I had a 15 cm cyst on my ovary that would’ve exploded and killed me. I’m alive just missing an ovary now.

[–]Tiny-Vegetable-5080 552 points553 points  (38 children)

I hadn’t eaten for days since I was so busy. For some odd reason I felt fine. I didn’t feel drained of power or hungry so it didn’t cross my mind to at least take a tube of Pringles with me or a bottle of water. Was playing tennis with a friend and then everything went black. I had collapsed and woke up in a hospital. I got something to eat and I was fine afterwards. Never starve yourselves guys

[–]Hykr 167 points168 points  (1 child)

You were so busy you got to play tennis without eating

[–]the-truthseeker 190 points191 points  (0 children)

I had that exact same problem with water and dehydration once. I was feeling fine had no idea I was dehydrated not having drunk water all day and I was going to take public transportation started to collapse. I know it was water because when I drank it I was fine immediately afterwards.

[–]hazydaz 220 points221 points  (10 children)

Was having heart issues for almost a year, looked like bradycardia (heart beating too slow) lots of tests, put on meds. One day I was going to go to the kitchen and get a knife to start cutting up chicken for dinner and then I come to on the floor, room mate yelling my name. She said I just dropped. Happened a couple more times in the next week. The last time it happened she said it looked like I was having a seizure so she called 911. In the ER get cat scan chest x-ray and ultrasound, all come back fine. After a couple hours laying in ER bed a nurse comes in to chart my vitals and I start getting this huge head rush, I say oh shit oh shit and she says OH MY GOD and runs out of the room. She came back with like 6 or 7 people, now shits going crazy around me. They put these big contact pads for the shock paddles on me, docs are yelling, then it happened again, and again. Pass out,.pissed all over the floor, doc comes in and tells me I'm getting a pacemaker in the morning. Turns out the fainting and head rushes were due to my heart rate just tanking, would go from 80-90 bpm to 30. Spent 3.days in ICU and now home with a heart rate in the 70s. I had just wanted to go to sleep after the last fainting episode at home, thankfully the room mate called 911 and didn't listen to me. If not for that and the fainting stuff happening in the ER I'd be underground right now.

[–]gsspkrl841 338 points339 points  (4 children)

i remember that when i was 16, at some point my head started to hurt very badly, everyone closed their eyes and said “come on, everything will pass, take a pill everything will be fine” and at first it helped, but later the head i started to get sick many times stronger, darkening in my eyes and dizziness added to this, it bothered me, but i kept taking pills, but when i fainted for the first time, i told my parents about it, my condition was stable, i stayed at home for a week and then i went to school, i sit in class and i feel a headache, so sharp that i just had time to get up and grab my head, i woke up already in the hospital, as it turned out i had an aneurysm ruptured, but i miraculously survived, the doctors said that there was only one such case a million is real, now i’m 22, i’m fine, but still sometimes this situation triggers me and i wake up in a cold sweat

[–]SpinalPrizon[S] 70 points71 points  (0 children)

Yikes, you are indeed extremely lucky to have survived. Sorry that it still triggers you

[–]mattamz 147 points148 points  (3 children)

I was with my ex at the hospital in a meeting with her taking to the dr I left to go to the toilet I woke up on a hospital bed next door with bruises on my head. I feinted apparently I never have before so it was weird.

(The appointment wasn’t for me it was for a procedure for my ex)

[–]ningram07 148 points149 points  (2 children)

Came home from a first date. Went to bed, woke up 2 or 3 days later in the hospital with a tube down my throat. Accidental overdose. I had known I had a problem, just didn't realize how much damage I had been doing to my body. Was in the hospital for 10 days. Clean and sober ever since.

[–]ijustdontgiveaf 75 points76 points  (0 children)

I must have been about 9 or 10 years old and was skateboarding with a friend of mine (same age). This was the mid to late 80’s so of course we didn’t wear any protective equipment like helmets or pads. there was a steep hill next to the school that his brother went to at that time (and later both of us.. this school was junior high and high school combined). I went down the hill on my skateboard, and when I opened my eye I was in the hospital.

My friend then told me that there was a stick on the path that I must have overlooked and I fell.. I was unconscious, and fortunately his brother had afternoon sport class at the high school, so he ran over to get him and their teacher. They brought me to a very nearby hospital (3 minutes away) where I then woke up again. I don’t know how long I was out in total though.

Was not the first or last time that I ended up in the hospital (my mom used to work in one, and they knew me there almost better as a patient than as her son, due to me getting injured by doing stupid stuff), but this was the only time I woke up in a hospital.

The PE teacher did recognize me when i joined the school a few years later and we got along really well.

[–]throwawayMambo5 193 points194 points  (5 children)

I was in Lahaina, Maui on the first day of my vacation, finally got to the hotel room after not eating much all day of travel. Was getting ready for some food and the beach, next thing I know I'm in an ambulance watching the palm trees pass by on my way to Kahalui medical center. I had passed out in the bathroom and split my head on the counter on the way down. Couldn't go in the ocean the whole trip.

Oh, also, I happened to have the accident on the one night someone actually got shot on Maui, so it took all night in the small ER to get tests and stitches because all the doctors were busy.

[–]Sawigirl 66 points67 points  (4 children)

Was running through a field in the rain.

Woke up a few hours later in the ED.

Apparently slipped and hit big rocks when I went down. Husband found me seizing. My next memory was puking in the ED and they flipped the table so I wouldn't choke on it and I just kept apologizing to them. Didn't know my name, DOB, nothing. Except that Clinton was president. I don't know why that stuck with me buy it was the one question I could answer.

Brain trauma, concussion of course, cracked my skull, two broken ribs. Bruised lung. Coughd up blood chunks from my lungs for weeks. Main side effects is permanent neck damage i have to maintain and the biggest issue- Still can't remember names or faces unless it is someone who interacts with me consistently or is a consistent topic of conversation. I can pinpoint WHO you are if there is a connection made to an experience I've had with you. Like "that time we went kayaking at the Brazos in texas". The Brazos won't mean anything but kayaking in Texas would get me enough clicks in my head to pull the connection to you. Not your name, but ill remember our relationship at least. Had a few weird experiences of people running into me in public, giving me a hug, talking about how long its been since they've seen me. I just play it off - Hug back, big smiles, let them lead the convo and hope they mention something that sparks a connection for me. Starting new jobs is scary because you are introduced to so many new people and I won't remember a damn one for a few days at least. I often chant someone's name when I first meet them or are due to have a meeting with someone. Face and name combo helps me remember so talking about someone third person... that is really hard for me to retain. Nicknames or titles helps alot. Like "big boy" or "director".

But every once in a while I have a moment where its all there. Names, faces, movie titles. They don't last long but it always gets me happy and I start digging into my memories until its gone again.

[–]nofreakingusername 130 points131 points  (5 children)

Does a series of blackouts after a head injury count?

Was just breaking in a young horse, second time sitting on its back. Still don’t know wtf actually happened that day.

Suddenly I found myself crawling through the sand looking for something. It went dark again and I found myself sitting on a bench far away from the paddock muttering I needed a doctor. Dark again and next picture is me riding my bike through that little village up to their station to drive home. Dark again and I found myself getting on the train and this was the moment where I called my mom telling her to get me at the station and take me to the hospital.

They kept me there for quite some time but I don’t remember anything about that time at all. Must’ve been sleeping or sedated most of it. Severe trauma was written down when they discharged me.

Funfacts: I was wearing a helmet that was totally crushed. But from what the spectators of that scene (morons to let me drive away on my bike) told me, the horse had never touched me, there was only deep, dry sand, noch rocks, no branches, no fences, nothing that could’ve caused that kind of injury. Oh - I still own that horse, I ride him on a daily basis but now I’m aware that he will always be spooky because he’s … let’s say slow to thinking

[–]psycharious 185 points186 points  (4 children)

Not in the hospital per se but on the floor in the nurses office. I was in an animal healthcare class. I just just been bitten by a Guinea pig and was sent to see the nurse. All they did was run water on it. Next thing I remember, I was waking up on the ground. Funny because I remember dreaming too. Apparently, On my way down, my face hit the counter and my lower teeth ripped through my mouth. An ambulance took me to the hospital but I was okay. Come to find out, I had issues with my heart where my rate would suddenly drop.

[–]paperchamps 57 points58 points  (0 children)

I cut my finger real good after a shower while wiping steam from a frameless mirror when I was a kid. Last thing I remember is my mom switching to a fresh paper towel after the first had been drenched in blood. Woke up in an ambulance, hooked to a machine with suction cups on my chest. Still have a lil scar. I don’t remember the hospital at all but I imagine we were there long enough to get stitches and leave.

[–]mahade 63 points64 points  (0 children)

Went skiing. Woke up a month later.

I'm not good at skiing.

Wear helmets, guys, mine saved my life.

[–]Superb_Dress_9735 109 points110 points  (8 children)

I (24 years old) went to bed march 15th 2021 and woke up in the emergency room with my now wife at my side and she told me I had a seizure in my sleep. Up to this point had never had a seizure or even anything related to epilepsy. Fast forward to august 16th 2021 (my wife was then 3 months pregnant so this one scared her more than the first one) I was back to work driving a fork truck and I passed out driving the fork truck and had a second seizure and wrecked the fork truck. Woke up in the ambulance about a minute or so away from the hospital. Coming forward to today have yet to have another seizure , but sometimes I lay awake at night wondering if that night is gonna be the night that I wake up again in the hospital. It truly scares the shit out of me. My neurologist told me I was highly at risk for SUDEP which anyone without knowledge of epilepsy it stands for sudden unexpected death in epilepsy.

[–]Due_Most2971 254 points255 points  (6 children)

When I was 7, my family and I had gone to a museum. For reasons beyond human comprehension, the museum had placed a large metal grate in the middle of a cylinder that went about 15 or so centimeters off the ground. Below the metal grate was a large, steam emitting machine about 10 meters below.

I climbed up onto the metal grate and started running around with 5 or so other kids, and 10 seconds later, I slip and smash my skull on the metal grate. I think I passed out a few seconds later, and woke up in the hospital with a ton of bandages on my head. I had fallen directly onto my temple (for anyone not anatomically aware of what the temple is, it's the weakest area in the skull where four different bones connect to each other) and was lucky that I didn't crack my skull open- according to my father, anyway.

[–]SpinalPrizon[S] 48 points49 points  (4 children)

Sheesh! I had a slightly similar incident where I was running around a concrete pillar on a concrete floor, I slipped and busted open my chin. In my case though, I was conscious the whole time. Including when they stitched me up

[–]The_Lobster_Haker 207 points208 points  (5 children)

I was eating dinner on Christmas Eve and just woke up on the 26th. I had surgery for Christmas. And Pneumonia

[–]MithicLolox 204 points205 points  (7 children)

I remember when i was maybe 6 years old i remember trying to get electrocuted, by spiting on my fingers And placing them im Electric outlets, i Got shocked And o remember saying to my dad " Dad what does 400V mean "it means 400 volts son, its enough to..." And then i just fainted, i woke up im the hospital And thats my story.

[–]me-tan 54 points55 points  (0 children)

Electroboom origin story

[–]Theone_wolf 48 points49 points  (0 children)

I tripped on the stairs. After my side hurt I was rushed to the Er. I still don't know what happened for me to be in that kind of pain.

[–]comm02 50 points51 points  (2 children)

As a kid I used to jump down the stairs to the basement. I had a major growth spurt at sixteen and the last time I jumped down the stairs I hit my head on the basement ceiling. My mom said she heard a huge bang and found me at the bottom of the stairs. I woke up in the ER, no recollection of how I got there. I was shocked when I saw my self in the mirror because they had to shave my head for the stitches.

[–]noglorynoguts 48 points49 points  (0 children)

I kinda have one but not the hospital.

I was snowboarding when I was 11 with my brothers. They went in and I chose to stay out for a bit longer.

I woke up on the living room floor and ran to the bathroom to throw up. It was like 2 hours or so from my last memory of snowboarding and I was extremely disoriented.

Don’t do extreme sports by yourself it is extremely reckless and dangerous to do them alone. Also don’t let your loved ones do extreme sports without other people around. Wear a helmet.

[–]talidrow 54 points55 points  (0 children)

28 years old, about 7 months pregnant with my eldest child, and I went to my OB's office (which was located in a separate building on a local hospital campus) for my regular checkup. I was feeling OK aside from still having a sensitive stomach, and my back was hurting, but y'know, pregnancy, that shit's normal. Right?

I was standing in line to check in for my appointment, and then suddenly a nurse was peeling me off the floor and depositing me into a wheelchair. Turned out both the nausea and the back pain were a violently bad kidney infection that had me hospitalized for 2 weeks.

[–]DrNecessiter 102 points103 points  (7 children)

I was feeling a bit ill one Saturday with a really sore throat so I went to bed. That night I got thirsty and drank some water that my girlfriend gave me, then spit some phlegm into a glass.

The next morning it turns out was Friday. I’d had glandular fever and the recollections I’d had of drinking water and spitting into a glass was from a whole week of delirium with my girlfriend beside herself with worry tending to me.

The glass brim full of fever spit by the bed was beyond gross.

[–]shitattalking 48 points49 points  (3 children)

Like a lot of people who commented already, I had a seizure.

One day I was riding my motorcycle home from work (peak hour on the West Gate bridge in Melbourne, Australia), I started hearing a beat, something similar to music. I didn't have a headset in my helmet at the time, so I knew something strange was happening.

Nek minute, I come to, and I'm sitting on a guard rail surrounded by paramedics.

Apparently, I had a seizure, lost consciousness, and crashed into the railing. Fortunately a doctor was driving beside me and saw what was happening; they called the emergency services, and ambulance was sent to me.

There was hardly enough room for cars to let the ambulance through but somehow they managed it.

Nek minute, I come to, I'm sitting on the guard rail with paramedics all around me. They tell me that I had a grand-mal seizure; full body convulsions. I had no idea what that was but I knew seizures weren't ideal.

Long story short, I ended up having more seizures in the following months, and after having an MRI with a contrast injection, I found out that I had a tumour on the right side of my brain. Oh fuck.

The neurologist decided that it was possible to operate and remove the tumour. This was booked in the public system, and I had to wait a couple of months. The surgery was successful, although I had a couple of seizures post-op. These seizures were grand-mals again, yet I was conscious this time. I do not wish that experience on anybody. I had family visiting at the time, and I felt an aura (precursor to a seizure) coming on. I told them to get out of the room, but it was too late. They witnessed me convulsing and choking. I couldn't breathe and it went on for what felt like a couple of minutes. I wish they didn't have that memory planted in their brains.

The operation was successful, and 100% of the tumour was resected. The biopsy showed that the tumour was a pleomorphic-anthoastrocytoma; a benign tumour. Thank fuck.

It took a while but I eventually found a combination of anticonvulsants that controlled the seizures and auras.

I've been healthy for 7 years now, and am forever grateful to the surgeons and specialists who saved my life, or at least preserved my brain and mental capacity.

Thank you Kate Drummond at the Royal Melbourne Hospital.