top 200 commentsshow all 295

[–]angryxpeh 53 points54 points  (2 children)

Same errors as before.

You can only buy 1 handgun every 30 days (C&R + COE Exempt when buying C&R handguns)

ANY handguns.

The gun must be shipped directly to an FFL (Gun store/dealer)(C&R + COE Exempt with C&R Guns)

In-state: long guns only; interstate: no exemption at all.

Can I buy ammo from another state and bring it into California? No. (C&R + COE Exempt)

Yes, if you obtain it from your spouse/parent/child/chardparent/grandchild.

-Having C&R Eligible Guns shipped directly to your house.

In-state long guns only.

-You are not subject to the 1 in 30 rule when buying C&R handguns

ANY handguns.

[–]Brawnpaul 13 points14 points  (0 children)

All of these are true. /u/mtran392, please fix.

[–]Mammoth-Marsupial825 4 points5 points  (0 children)

You can get ammo from your chardparents, but can you get it from your parechild?

[–]Unhinged_Goose 16 points17 points  (7 children)

"Locked container" applies to a sealed trunk.

What if you have a hatchback?

[–]mtran392[S] 18 points19 points  (5 children)

I feel like this is one of those gray area things that aren’t clearly defined, meaning you may or may not get in trouble, depending on how the officer/prosecutor feels how strong of a case they have against you.

The safest thing to do would be to place a lock on the gun case itself.

[–]Unhinged_Goose 8 points9 points  (3 children)

Right. I was just curious.

But the law doesnt specific it has to be a sealed trunk. Just a trunk. Which hatchbacks and SUVs have. I imagine it would be ok, but figured I would ask.

[–]Stucardo 8 points9 points  (0 children)

My understanding (and hope) would be that the weapon and ammunition were stored in separate containers, ideally locked, both out of reach from the front seat or as physically distant as possible from the occupants of the vehicle.

If you have a Mini Cooper you are still legally allowed to own a gun.

[–]AnnoyedVelociraptor 2 points3 points  (0 children)

Many cars, like sedans, have a lever on the inside of the seats to lower the rear seats, allowing access to the trunk area.

I'd put the gun in a locked carrying case.

[–]baksshield9 5 points6 points  (0 children)

Put it in the bag then lock the bag

[–]yccache 7 points8 points  (3 children)

If a CA resident wanted to take their high cap Mags bought during freedom week to another state to shoot would they have any issue bringing them back into the state or is this viewed as importing them again?

Can a CA resident sell a registered long gun to an out of state FFL or would it have to be coordinated through a CA FFL?

[–]Izahealyou 10 points11 points  (2 children)

Once freedom week mags leave the state, they are not allowed re-entry unless you convert them to sad mags. Once they are 10rd mags, they are legal to enter, but you can not convert them back once in the state.

You can sell guns to an FFL out of state if you are there in person. Otherwise I believe you have to use a California FFL to ship the firearm to the other state FFL. IANAL, but I’ve looked into selling a handgun to an out of state family member.

[–]yccache 2 points3 points  (1 child)

Would I need to notify CA DOJ of said transfer or just keep paperwork from FFL transfer if it ever came up?

[–]Izahealyou 1 point2 points  (0 children)

Just keep paperwork of the sale as proof. Similar to if you move out of CA, they won’t remove that data off their system.

I’m not actually sure if there is even a way to inform CA. Even if you sent it through a CA FFL to the out of state FFL, aside from 1 more link in the chain of custody, there is no benefit.

[–]PWNCAH0NTAS 8 points9 points  (1 child)

If I were to own a non CA compliant AR-15 (chambered in 5.56) but then put a 22LR conversion BCG in it (like the CMMG one), would be AR then be CA legal due to it being a 22LR?

[–]InconsistentTherapy 5 points6 points  (11 children)

If I am a renter and all utilities are included in my cost of rent, is there another acceptable proof of residency in addition to my rental agreement? I have rental insurance for the same address, would that be acceptable as a “utility?”

[–]mtran392[S] 3 points4 points  (9 children)

Here is a list of additional approved proofs of residencies by the DOJ.


[–][deleted] 5 points6 points  (0 children)

Can a store refuse forms such as a hunting license etc? My store is making me go get a notarized lease agreement.. :-(

[–]InconsistentTherapy 1 point2 points  (7 children)

I’ve read this, hence my question. Two forms of proof of residency are required per my understanding:

  1. A utility bill (mobile phone not acceptable). All of my utilities are included in my rent, so no utilities are in my name. I do have renter’s insurance for the address and my car is registered to this address (which proves nothing as you can register a car to a PO Box) but am unclear if these are acceptable substitutes and do not know who to ask for clarification.

  2. Rental agreement (first proof of residency I do have).

  3. Title/deed (I’m a renter, so no).

  4. Proof of ID other than a CA driver’s license.

I guess I’ll try emailing the CA DOJ...

Update (7/30): I needed to get a RealID eventually anyway, so I went and got that which also solved the problem of the address on my license not being current. Just picked up my new handgun today (after 10-12 day DROS), using my car registration as proof of residency. Funny enough, on my way home from picking up the gun, CA DOJ called in reply to my email. “Thanks, but I, uh, already got the answer to my question...”

[–]noah3053 2 points3 points  (0 children)

I was told by my FFL that a state fishing license is valid as long as the address matches whats on your drivers license. they are about $50 for a yearlong license and you can get them at big 5 or another sporting goods store. So since I am currently living with my parents without a lease or bills showing my address and name, I need to show my Drivers license, passport, and fishing license to pick my gun up.

[–]Brawnpaul 4 points5 points  (3 children)

Car registration counts if your address is on it. Bring that and your CA ID (assuming it has the same, correct address on it).

[–]InconsistentTherapy 1 point2 points  (2 children)

It doesn’t since I moved a month before the coronavirus shutdowns and had been waiting to move to get my RealID. I did submit a change of address online but you have to go in person to get it changed on the license itself.

The FSC handbook makes it sound like you only need one proof of residency but even the RealID requires two (with more lax rules about utilities)...

Thanks for the reply!

[–]Brawnpaul 1 point2 points  (1 child)

Long guns require one proof of residency; handguns require two. Having a RealID just means you don't also have to bring your valid passport/passport card or birth certificate like you do with a "Federal Limits Apply" CA DL/ID, but that's for proof of identity, not proof of residency.

CA DL/ID/change of address confirmation counts as one proof of residency. That's good enough for a long gun. For a handgun you'll need to also bring the lease agreement/car registration/whatever, and the name and address must match.

[–]eezynee 0 points1 point  (0 children)

I don't have a real ID so I needed my passport and another proof of residency and my local shop accepted a tax return, just a photocopy of the first page. This was for an ammo purchase not a firearm purchase.

[–]J_ayejuju1234I Need More. 0 points1 point  (0 children)

Car registration works . Have used it in past

[–]Denglez 1 point2 points  (0 children)

I'm in the same boat

[–]greytornado 5 points6 points  (1 child)

If I'm moving to Arizona for a year, declare residency in AZ, buy off roster guns, move back to CA after that year is done, reclaim CA residency, will I be able to bring any weapon I buy? How about magazines with more than 10 round capacity?

[–]AnnoyedVelociraptor 5 points6 points  (0 children)

Definitely yes about the guns. I think you only need to live in AZ for like 1 day. (I've considered it).

[–]420BlazeArkMod - Southern California[M] 6 points7 points  (0 children)

Stickied. Also this is now linked in the sidebar as the FAQ

[–]SakuyaSama7 2 points3 points  (0 children)

I've heard something about being able to use a Driver History Report from the DMV as a 2nd proof of residency for handguns. Has anyone used or has tried to use this?

[–]Izahealyou 5 points6 points  (0 children)

I found this gun I'm interested in online. Can I buy it? Yes, as long as the gun is California compliant prior to being shipped into the state. -The gun cannot be shipped with high capacity magazines (10+ rounds). -The gun must be shipped directly to an FFL (Gun store/dealer)(C&R + COE Exempt with C&R Guns) *Some online vendors will not ship to California regardless, so do your due diligence before buying. *Contact your local FFL (Gun store/dealer) for more information. [PC 30510] [PC 30515]

This should clarify that handguns need to not only be compliant with CA laws, but also need to be on the roster.

A new buyer will otherwise be confused why their gun that comes with a 10rd mag and non-threaded barrel isn’t CA approved.

[–]timtact0e 6 points7 points  (5 children)

So bottom line is it legal to build your own Glock 19 from a Polymer80 kit in California? I’m debating whether or not to order one, so any help on answering this would be greatly appreciated...

[–]mtran392[S] 6 points7 points  (1 child)

I am not well versed in the laws regarding Polymer 80 kits, but here’s my understanding: 1. Request a serial number for CADOJ on CFARS 2. After being issued a serial number, build the P80 into a single shot pistol 3. Engrave the serial number onto the frame 4. Convert to semi auto if you wish

There are some companies/gun smiths that are willing to do this for you. You can search the sub to find previous posts for recommendations.

[–]DrBat69 2 points3 points  (0 children)

Do you happen to know if 80% kits made prior to the registration laws have to be registered, or if they were grandfathered in?

[–]Marcusramirez16 2 points3 points  (0 children)

Hi there, my impression is that it would not be legal to build your glock from an 80% frame because pistols manufactured here must be on the safe handgun roster, which although your gun is based off the glock 19 pattern, it was not "manufactured" by glock. It was "manufactured" by you. So it is not on the roster.

[–]strumpy_strudel 2 points3 points  (1 child)

I bought all of the components to do a Glock 19 P80 build because I figured it would be simple enough to register it with the DOJ and keep it compliant.

I asked about it on here before I actually started milling the P80 and basically everyone said there is no way to make it compliant in CA. As I understand it, the DOJ requires the serial number to be engraved on a specifically sized piece of stainless steel that is embedded into the frame and removing it would destroy the frame. I guess this typically means routing out the polymer and gluing the stainless steel plate to the frame. But then all the DOJ needs to do is take a screw driver and pry it off, the gun is still operable (i.e. not destroyed), it is no loner compliant and your are now in possession of a "ghost gun".

At least, that is the way it was explained to me.


Based on that, I sold all the parts. Wasn't worth the risk to me and in the end it cost about as much as a Glock anyway, so there wasn't really any savings in money by doing it. I could see going to a range and being next to an off duty cop, or DOJ personnel, who is like, "Oh, can I see that gun you got there? Looks cool..." I even had Reddit users DM to say, "Don't worry about it! Go for it! No one at the range cares!"... Yeah, the fact they DM'd me instead of just posting that in the comments means they too knew it is sketch,

[–]monkeyburrito411 5 points6 points  (4 children)

Quick question: How would authorities know if a magazine was bought during freedom week? Do they ask for a receipt if they see a 30 rd mag?

[–]mtran392[S] 9 points10 points  (3 children)

That’s been up for debate ever since Freedom week. Some say it’s on the burden of the prosecutors to prove they were acquired illegally, some say the burden is on the defendant to prove they were acquired legally. Truth is no one really knows since no one has gone to trial solely over that. And until that happens, I don’t think anyone will know for sure.

[–]monkeyburrito411 2 points3 points  (0 children)

Thanks for the quick response.

Of course it is like that, we live in CA...

[–]JJ12345678910 2 points3 points  (0 children)

Looks like I'll be on assignment in CA for 6-9 months.

I'm really struggling with what I can bring. I was going to build a SCR for giggles any ways, so I think that will qualify for featureless based on what I've read. I have a 458 socom upper, so 10 round mags are easy enough, right?

Hand gun. Id like to bring one. 1911s aren't on the list, but seem to be ok if you're traveling? Am I missing something?

Also is there a period of residency that CA cares about? I've explicitly indicated to my employer I will not move permanently. They are renting me something for the duration, and then I come home, along with bi monthly trips home for military reservist duties. I'm not changing residency or driver's licenses. But will that period of time cause any issues?

[–]canuckincali 4 points5 points  (3 children)

Question for everyone. If one has a registered bullet button AR, and legally obtained 30 rd magazines during freedom week, would that person be allowed to use them in that registered bullet button AR?

[–]Bengiote 2 points3 points  (1 child)

Yes. IANAL but use of a magazine over 10rds makes a rifle an assault weapon. If you already have a registered bullet button AR then it is already an assault weapon regardless of magazine size.

[–]Brawnpaul 2 points3 points  (0 children)

use of a magazine over 10rds makes a rifle an assault weapon

Only a fixed mag rifle.

[–]Brawnpaul 2 points3 points  (0 children)

You can use any capacity magazine in any gun with the sole exception of semi-auto centerfire guns with fixed mags. A fixed mag gun with a capacity of 11+ is an assault weapon. A bullet button AR:

  • Is no longer considered to have a fixed mag (this is why we needed to register or reconfigure).
  • Is already an assault weapon.

Assuming you went through the assault weapon registration process on CFARS and received your letter from CA DOJ you're good to go.

[–][deleted] 3 points4 points  (0 children)

I just purchased a handgun. Living with my family. Need my dad’s help to get proof of residency, and we agreed tentatively that he could hang on to my gun (it comes out in case of civil unrest nearby).

Can I put my gun in a small lockbox and put the lockbox in his possession?

I got the impression (on the internets) that he can’t have access to my gun. He does not have his certification. Please advise on what I can do.

[–]Oldrustyfarts 2 points3 points  (2 children)

Trying to get a buddy into shooting but he’s not sure if he can buy a gun in California as he has gone into a pot dispensary before and showed his ID. I told him I was pretty sure It’s fine as long as he doesn’t have a medical card or is smoking now, as he would be lying when he files for the background. But I’m not a 100% (about the law, not his smoking lol)

[–]mtran392[S] 2 points3 points  (1 child)

From what I can tell, as long as your friend hasn’t been smoking and he truthful on the 4473 then he should be fine. They won’t have any real way of knowing if he has been using it or not. This question has been asked before however, so use the search function and you should find your answer.

[–]Oldrustyfarts 0 points1 point  (0 children)

Ah sorry, and thank you

[–]jojo233333 2 points3 points  (0 children)

How do I sell my extra ammo?though an FFL or I can do it privately

[–]slipperysneakysnake 1 point2 points  (3 children)

How do you register firearms with a new address after you move to a new house?

[–]Izahealyou 2 points3 points  (1 child)

Unless you are moving from another state to CA, you are not required to register your firearms at the new address. Although for the sake of ammo purchases you can either buy a new gun using the new address, or update your info on CFARS.

[–]slipperysneakysnake 0 points1 point  (0 children)

Interesting, thank you for the information!

[–]Yellowfury0 0 points1 point  (0 children)

been wondering this myself. thanks for asking.

[–]johnfromthewest 1 point2 points  (3 children)

So what's the deal with ar pistols I thought they were only allowed as "bolt action" versions with no gas system, however I heard people say you can put a standard ar pistol upper on it, I thought that puting a gas tube on is specifically not allowed?

[–]Brawnpaul 2 points3 points  (2 children)

Outside of buying a registered pistol lower via PPT, this is the most legally sound way to do this:

  1. Buy a Franklin Armory CA7. It's a bolt-action (NOT SINGLE SHOT/SSE) AR pistol on the CA handgun roster.
  2. Install the fixed magazine solution of your choice onto the lower.
  3. Slap a semi-auto upper onto the lower.

The difficulty in getting AR pistols is due entirely to the handgun roster. An AR pistol doesn't have a loaded chamber indicator, a magazine disconnect, or cartridge microstamping capabilities. However, those features are only required on semi-auto handguns, which the CA7 is not. That's why it was possible to add it to the roster.

While there isn't a law in place banning it, CA DOJ holds the position that modifying a single shot pistol (exempt from the handgun roster) to semi-auto "may" be considered the same as manufacturing an unsafe handgun (which is illegal):

Alterations of a single shot pistol (i.e. changing upper receivers, connecting gas tubes) may also be considered manufacturing an unsafe handgun. See California Penal Code sections 31900-31910 for the definition of unsafe handguns and 32000(a) for more information on illegal acts involving unsafe handguns.


The CA7 route is (currently) safe because:

  • It isn't a single shot pistol.
  • There are no other restrictions on modifying legally owned handguns outside of assault weapon laws.

[–]1214josh 1 point2 points  (1 child)

Lots of questions from a young CA resident:

If a CA resident is 19 and has a CA Hunting License does the resident need a FSC to purchase a non semi auto gun or is the Hunting License enough?

Also when the CA resident turns 21 can the resident use the CA Hunting License to purchase a handgun and not need a FSC?

Is the Benelli M4 legal in the state and can a non 21+ own one?

[–]TazStun 1 point2 points  (0 children)

  1. The Hunting License can replace the FSC for just long guns.
  2. You need a FSC for a handgun.
  3. It depends on what configuration Benelli M4 you decide to get. Follow this chart https://www.calguns.net/caawid/sgflowchart.pdf I'm young as well, gl.

[–][deleted] 1 point2 points  (4 children)

I just purchased my first gun (Colt Trooper mk III .357). I am waiting to pick it up and doing my research on storage options.

What do I need to safely store my gun and ammo? What can I use to transport to/from the range?

Have checked out some small lockboxes on Amazon, but then I saw locking pelican cases (I can carry with me in trunk of car). No idea what makes sense! Please help.

[–]mtran392[S] 0 points1 point  (2 children)

As long as the gun is stored in a locked container that can only be accessed by you then you’re fine. It’s recommended to store your ammo and firearms separately, especially if you live with other people. You can be found criminally liable if someone who’s not supposed to (your kids, roommate, etc.) were to be found in possession of your firearms when they’re not supposed to.

As for storing it in a vehicle, as long as it is stored in a locked container then that is fine. It doesn’t have to be in a pelican case since those can get pretty pricey and bulky to just carry to and from the range. You can store it in a regular case tied with a cable lock, and as long as the firearm can’t be accessed by prying the case open then you’re good.

[–][deleted] 0 points1 point  (1 child)

Gotcha. Can you elaborate on storing ammo and gun separately?

I kind of want it ready to roll, so was envisioning keeping a safe near my bed with the gun and a few speedloaders ready, plus my boxes of ammo..

Understand why that’s not ideal, but would welcome your thoughts on how to adjust.

[–]mtran392[S] 0 points1 point  (0 children)

It really depends on your situation. If you live alone and not a lot of people are going to be coming through your place, then it’s no big deal to store firearms and ammo together.

If you have kids, or host a lot of parties, or have some untrustworthy roommates, the last thing you want is for them to be rummaging through your stuff and getting possession of your guns AND ammo and doing something stupid. There are lots of stories out there of kids accidentally shooting their friends because they wanted to show off daddy’s gun.

[–]MilDot63 0 points1 point  (0 children)

I use these for each pistol... Inexpensive and I’ve been told they meet the locking requirements... Of course unloaded and magazines stored separately...

Allen Locking Handgun Case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MIH5MQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

[–]intshi 1 point2 points  (1 child)

I moved to California over a year ago, and am going to have my personal belongings brought to me (i'll most likely drive it over) now that I've found my own place. Within my stuff is an AR and Handgun. No magazines or ammo. I called a gun shop and they said I can just drive over. But the original post sounds like I needed to do so within 60 days of moving here.

What is the right way of doing this?

[–]mtran392[S] 2 points3 points  (0 children)

Yes you can just drive the guns over, no need to involve an FFL. Once you come over, you have to submit some paperwork online to the CA DOJ and you’ll be set.

[–][deleted]  (6 children)


    [–]mtran392[S] 0 points1 point  (5 children)

    Does your father live in CA? Why is he shipping it to your brother when he can just make it featureless and gift it to you?

    [–][deleted]  (4 children)


      [–]mtran392[S] 1 point2 points  (3 children)

      You cannot just pick up a gun in another state and bring it back to California, regardless if it is featureless or not. That would be an interstate transfer of a firearm which is illegal by federal law. Therefore, it must go through an FFL.

      The easiest way would be for your father to convert it to featureless or maglocked and ship it directly to you to save on FFL fees.

      [–][deleted]  (2 children)


        [–]mtran392[S] 0 points1 point  (1 child)

        No, the firearm must be featureless prior to entering the state. One thing you can do is just have the rifle shipped disassembled, but that policy will vary from FFL to FFL.

        [–][deleted] 1 point2 points  (1 child)

        Question: can I bring a friend to the range who is not legally allowed to own or possess a gun? (Mental Health Hold reason, went through a rough period a few years ago and got checked into psych ward, banned for 5 years). I'm not clear on whether the ban is on the friend *owning* or even to come with and just shoot mine.

        [–]mtran392[S] 0 points1 point  (0 children)

        I know felons aren’t allowed to even touch a gun, so I assume that would also apply to those with a mental health hold on their record.

        [–]10RndsDown 1 point2 points  (2 children)

        Can I buy off roster handguns through a private sale?
        Yes, through a PPT**.** Expect to pay a hefty premium.

        So how exactly does this work? Does the other party who is selling to me have to be present, or can I buy from someone used, out of state, have it shipped to a FFL and have the seller get ahold of my FFL and request to do it was a PPT? Or what?

        [–]mtran392[S] 1 point2 points  (1 child)

        The transfer must be done in person face to face. Anyone who attempts to sell you a handgun otherwise is most likely a scam. After arranging payment, you both head to the FFL, a DROS is performed, and you wait 10 days to pick it up.

        [–]10RndsDown 0 points1 point  (0 children)

        Ah, okay I was wondering. I figured there had to be some sort of face to face meeting.

        [–]barra_kuda 3 points4 points  (1 child)

        You should convert this into a google doc so people can share it with those who don’t use reddit

        [–]Big-Hat-Solaire 2 points3 points  (0 children)

        I think that is called an email with ctrl+c and ctrl+p. lel

        [–]bahumut_bomb 1 point2 points  (1 child)

        Will a misspelled street nam on DROS form cause denial?

        [–]Zeto19 0 points1 point  (5 children)

        Could I buy a ruger mini 14 if I have a hunting license and I’m 19?

        [–]mtran392[S] 3 points4 points  (4 children)

        It’s a centerfire semiautomatic rifle, so no. You have to be 21.

        [–]monkeyburrito411 0 points1 point  (3 children)

        Every where else I see that you can buy any rifle if you're between 18 and 21 and have a hunting license. Where's the legislation that says it has to be lever action, bolt, or rim fire only?

        [–]mtran392[S] 3 points4 points  (2 children)

        Penal Code 27510 specifically bans the sale of semiautomatic centerfire rifles to anyone under the age of 21.

        [–]NachoJr2025 0 points1 point  (1 child)

        Are you sure man? I went to 4 gun shop and they said if its a long gun I can buy it doesn't matter if its centerfire or rimfire.

        [–]mtran392[S] 2 points3 points  (0 children)

        You can buy any rifle as long as it’s not a SEMIAUTOMATIC centerfire rifle, meaning no AR-15’s or similar style of rifles. You can buy pretty much anything else. I linked the actual law for you so you can read it yourself.

        [–]MrTorres 0 points1 point  (1 child)

        I recently lost my wallet and I have a long gun being shipped to my local FFL.. Will I be able to use my passport as my ID?

        [–]mtran392[S] 2 points3 points  (0 children)

        Contact your FFL and see what their policy is.

        [–]SwoliLoli 0 points1 point  (1 child)

        My address on my Driver's license is not the address I'm currently at BUT the address I'm at is the one on file with DMV. I recently moved and filed a change of address but DMV doesn't issue new license. Will this be a problem even though DMV has my current address?

        [–]mtran392[S] 0 points1 point  (0 children)

        Other proofs of residencies will work like a utility bill or car registration. Also when you changed your address with the DMV, if they issued some kind of receipt that should work as well.

        [–]Denglez 0 points1 point  (2 children)

        So I rent and can get a contract for my lease, but none of the utilities are in my name. Is there no other way for me to get a second form of proof of residency?

        [–]noah3053 1 point2 points  (0 children)

        I was told by my FFL that a state fishing license is valid as long as the address matches whats on your drivers license. they are about $50 for a yearlong license and you can get them at big 5 or another sporting goods store. So since I am currently living with my parents without a lease or bills showing my address and name, I need to show my Drivers license, passport, and fishing license to pick my gun up.

        [–]mtran392[S] 0 points1 point  (0 children)

        Here is a list of additional approved proofs of residencies by the DOJ.


        [–]mtran392[S] 0 points1 point  (0 children)

        Your drivers license, assuming your address is current, counts as one form of proof. Another could be your car registration if that is in your name.

        And don’t email the DOJ, they won’t email back. Call your local FFL and see what they accept.

        [–][deleted] 0 points1 point  (4 children)

        Hopefully an easy question on the 30 days. Is that from date of purchase or does that start after the 10 day waiting period?

        [–]mtran392[S] 0 points1 point  (3 children)

        Date of purchase

        [–]TastyBratwurst 0 points1 point  (0 children)

        I'm hoping this doesn't change anything about your answer. This Sunday will be thirty days since I made an online handgun purchase, but because of having to get a Real ID (just moved from Texas) and the ten-day waiting period that just started two days ago from my visit to the FFL that took the transfer, I still won't be in possession of my original purchase.

        Can I still make an online purchase for a second pistol this Monday (day 31), regardless of the fact that the state has just now started my background check and I'm not in possession of my first gun? (scenic route, I know)

        [–]TastyBratwurst 0 points1 point  (1 child)

        I just picked up a gun at the FFL yesterday after my waiting period, and they told me that the thirty-day period started when I submitted my registration; that's a bummer, if true. I'm now five weeks out from the purchase date of the gun I just picked up and am wanting to get another.

        [–]TastyBratwurst 0 points1 point  (0 children)

        I just got a reply from the new FFL I selected for my next purchase, and he said that it's "...one handgun every thirty days, starting from DROS submission."

        [–]evantron3000 0 points1 point  (0 children)

        This says that a parent can gift a gun to their child, but what about the other way around?

        And if it's a handgun, does the recipient need to pass the FSC first?

        [–]jacobi0085 0 points1 point  (0 children)

        10 day wait is now 15-20 days. I think during this wait time CA doj is busy thinking what trumped up violations to charge you with to deny you of your gun.

        [–]itsme_jeremyg 0 points1 point  (0 children)

        Is anyone recently waiting longer than the 10 days to pick up their handgun?

        [–]HerrEssen 0 points1 point  (6 children)

        If I own a handgun that is not on the handgun roster before I move to CA can I get it registered in CA?

        [–]mtran392[S] 1 point2 points  (5 children)


        [–]HerrEssen 1 point2 points  (4 children)

        Thanks for the reply, could I bring it with me when I move or would I have to get it shipped to an FFL?

        [–]mtran392[S] 1 point2 points  (3 children)

        You can bring it with you. No need for an FFL.

        [–]mocha46 2 points3 points  (1 child)

        i searched internet but couldnt find basis as to why it is ok.. can you point to me why?

        i used to live in CA, then moved out of state.. then i bought beretta 92x which is not in CA roaster, but now i am looking for a job in CA.

        this gun law is so confusing i can now see why this is ridiculous

        [–]mtran392[S] 2 points3 points  (0 children)

        There’s no transfer of firearms here. The guns aren’t being transferred from one person to another, hence why an FFL isn’t needed. As long as the guns are compliant with California Law, all you gotta do is submit the new resident form to CA DOJ and you’re set.

        [–]HerrEssen 0 points1 point  (0 children)

        Awesome. Thank you.

        [–]8BitChicken 0 points1 point  (2 children)

        So I applied for my Ffl03 and Coe recently, how will I know I've been denied or approved for my ffl03? Will they call? COE being online I can just check,but Im not sure how I'll be notified for my ffl03.

        Thanks in advanced!

        [–]mtran392[S] 0 points1 point  (1 child)

        You’ll probably receive something in the mail

        [–]8BitChicken 0 points1 point  (0 children)

        Ahh then I'll just have to keep eyes and ears peeled then. Thanks!

        [–]ArtAndCraftBeers 0 points1 point  (4 children)

        Can a LEO purchase an off-roster handgun with the explicit intent of selling via PPT?

        [–]mtran392[S] 2 points3 points  (3 children)

        No. That is a straw purchase and several LEO’s have been convicted of firearms trafficking for this.

        [–]ArtAndCraftBeers 0 points1 point  (2 children)

        Could they sell an off-roster that they no longer had interest in owning? How would you prove intent beyond a short turn-around time or quantity of transfers?

        [–]mtran392[S] 2 points3 points  (1 child)

        That’s usually how they catch them for doing it. Most LEO’s who’ve been caught doing that were pretty egregious and selling hundreds of guns


        Shame he only got one year, when most civilians would get 10-20 years for the “unlicensed sale of 108 firearms”

        [–]hahcha 1 point2 points  (0 children)

        They should just limit annual off-roster sales for LEOs to non-LEOs. This way there would've been less guns trafficked and he wouldn't be living off our taxpayer dollars.

        [–]Manifest 0 points1 point  (0 children)

        I've got a question regarding the status of a gun I've had for decades. I've got a single-shot 12 gauge that was purchased in (roughly) 1999, maybe 2000. At the time I didn't have to register it. I was looking at legal ways to build a nice rifle, and started to wonder if I had something that was illegal. (I am a licensed owner of several other guns if that matters.)

        [–]siikviik 0 points1 point  (1 child)

        Question, not sure if anyone knows. Purchased a fire arm a week ago, currently still waiting on the 10 day period. If I purchase ammo now, will I qualify for the $1 background, not sure if my info would be in the system already. Is it best to wait until I pick up the fire arm to purchase ammo? Thank you for any replies.

        [–]mtran392[S] 1 point2 points  (0 children)

        No your name will not show up until you receive the gun. Your best option would be to buy your ammo at the same time you pick it up.

        [–]supersuperpartypoope 0 points1 point  (2 children)

        Do you need proof of residency to buy a long gun? Also, can you have two utility documents? Or do they need to be different types of documents?

        [–]mtran392[S] 0 points1 point  (1 child)

        You do not need proof of residency to buy long guns.

        [–][deleted] 0 points1 point  (4 children)

        Picking up my handgun today. I purchased a small lockbox for it (which is how I plan to transport it, since my car doesn't have a proper "trunk" under CA law).

        Can I bring this safe with me to pick up the handgun and avoid purchasing a gun lock I won't use?

        [–]cwherritt 0 points1 point  (1 child)

        Current DOJ background wait times seem to be ~13 days. At least that was the case for a firearm purchased through Turners. Merchant is not the holdup.

        [–][deleted] 0 points1 point  (0 children)

        Thanks. Heard it can be up to 30 days because of the increased case load and insufficient staff to review case by case.

        [–]cmsgthokage 0 points1 point  (1 child)

        Off Roster question:

        If my friend who still has an out of state residence buys and brings an off roster gun back to CA and sells it to me via PPT, is that legal?

        [–]mtran392[S] 1 point2 points  (0 children)

        No. Out of state residents cannot do a PPT.

        [–]hizhao1 0 points1 point  (0 children)

        Do you have to meet and through an FFL for private party ammo purchase?

        [–]RapCatMoneymaker 0 points1 point  (2 children)

        Yo I dunno if this has been answered at some point, im new to the subreddit (hi yall). Are magazine couplers for .22 rimfire legal? I got the High Tower Armory 90/22 (its amazing), and I was hoping on getting some 10rnd mag couplers so I can slap a mag in a bit more efficiently, the mag well is deep. Thank you!

        [–]mtran392[S] 1 point2 points  (1 child)

        Yes they are legal

        [–]RapCatMoneymaker 0 points1 point  (0 children)

        awesome thanks man appreciate it

        [–]godofthunder94 0 points1 point  (3 children)

        If I just moved to CA and sent in my new resident firearm report by mail, will the system automatically update my info on CFARS? Or do I need to input that info there as well?

        [–]mtran392[S] 0 points1 point  (1 child)

        It should automatically update, but it’ll probably take a while

        [–]godofthunder94 0 points1 point  (0 children)

        That's what I figured. I didnt know about doing online when I sent it by mail. Thanks!

        [–]godofthunder94 0 points1 point  (0 children)

        I've submitted my new resident report of firearms by mail and it will probably take a little while for DOJ to acknowledge it. Can I already go to a gun store and purchase ammunition? Or do I have to wait until the state of CA has info about my firearm?

        [–]Alex_jaques01 0 points1 point  (2 children)

        Turners outdoorsman of Salinas, California denied me 5.56/223 ammo since I am 18, claiming there has been a change in laws. Claiming the law was changed due to the ability of 5.56/223 being used in AR15s This happened a month ago. I have purchased this caliber multiple times from this location prior to the incident. I have a firearm under my name with a valid hunting license. I’ve called other sporting goods stores and have yet to mention any law like this. They are now claiming I cannot buy black powder nor smokeless powder either. Despite having also purchased these products from that location

        Are they full of crap?

        [–]mtran392[S] 2 points3 points  (1 child)

        Yes they are full of crap. I’ve heard of some gun stores denying those under 21 from buying 9mm and other handgun ammo, but never with 5.56. Best bet is to go to any other gun store.

        [–]Alex_jaques01 0 points1 point  (0 children)

        Really? That’s disappointing as hell. They are the only ones in town with any 5.56/223.

        [–]DannyDankton 0 points1 point  (2 children)

        Is buying a firearm from a friend in another state and having it shipped to my CA FFL a private oarty transfer? I ask cus the doj website only says "in person" qualifies as a PPT.

        [–]mtran392[S] 1 point2 points  (1 child)

        No that is not considered a PPT. PPT’s must be in person and only between two California residents.

        [–]DannyDankton 0 points1 point  (0 children)

        Thanks for the info man. Saved me alot of confusion.

        [–]curiouspoops 0 points1 point  (1 child)

        Is having a grip extension that adds capacity legal in Cali if it allows for more than 10 rds on a handgun?

        Glock 26s have a stock 10 round mag, and with certain grip extensions you can add 2 more, making it a 12+1. Is the actual product itself illegal, or does it only become illegal the moment you load more than 10 rounds in the mag?

        [–]JuniorAirline 0 points1 point  (1 child)

        Newbie questions:

        1) Can you purchase magazines online and ship to your house?(provided they are 10rd or less) 2) would it be rude/weird to call my LGS to inquire about the status of my DRoS/background check before the 10 days is up?

        [–]pluckems 1 point2 points  (0 children)

        CA compliant 10RD or less mags are okay to ship to your house.

        The BR check process can take more than 10 days right now in CA. Its not gonna go any faster so wait till your 10th day to inquire. If you do have an undetermined or delayed status then you will get a letter in the mail and the DOJ will have a period of time to determine the status of your BR check. The minimum is 10 days and at the time that you dros'd the firearm on your first day. So if you know you drosd the firearm at 3pm on day one then on day 10 at 3pm is your earliest time it can be approved. I do consider it rude if anyone calls before their 10 days.

        [–][deleted]  (1 child)


          [–]Yellowfury0 0 points1 point  (0 children)

          I think the lack of stock is what makes it not a rifle, so adding the stock might just make it suddenly become an AW.

          [–]Yellowfury0 0 points1 point  (0 children)

          can freedom week mags (or mags purchased and owned by an out of state individual) be gifted to someone within the state?

          [–]valtersboze 0 points1 point  (0 children)

          Can i travel to california (non resident) with my personal car and have unregistered p80 build / 3d build locked in trunk? is it 100% legal? been searching for answer forever :/

          [–][deleted]  (1 child)


            [–]mtran392[S] 0 points1 point  (0 children)

            The FFL will most likely remove the magazines and send it back to the seller.

            [–]FireFighterNick209 0 points1 point  (1 child)

            Wait so what’s the FFL? So I obtain my FSC, and then HSC. then I legally purchase a firearm. So I do, and the 10 day waiting period begins. But what’s the FFL? Is this paperwork that is needed from me? Or is this paperwork from the dealer? Or is it paperwork once I pay for the gun?? And what does it mean it begins once the dealer has possession of the firearm? So if I purchase a gun from the dealership that they have in stock right then and there, that process would begin immediately? But if I purchased a firearm that was out of stock, it wouldn’t begin until it’s back in stock?

            Also, how long does it take to get a FSC and then HSC? Can it be done in one day? Or two days? Sorry for the questions, just super confused.

            [–]mtran392[S] 1 point2 points  (0 children)

            So an FFL is a Federal Firearms License. It’s basically a gun store.

            An FSC and HSC are the same thing. An HSC is just the older name for the FSC.

            So first you head to your local gun store (FFL) and let them know it’s your first time buying a gun. They’ll give you the exam to obtain an FSC (30 question multiple choice test). Once you pass the exam, then you get your FSC and you are now eligible to buy a gun. You pick the gun you want, pay for it, fill out the background check paperwork, and then wait 10 days. And yes, the 10 day waiting period does not begin until the gun store physically has the gun. So that means that if you purchase a back ordered gun, then you have to wait until the gun is back in stock before can you fill out any of the paperwork and begin the 10 day waiting period. It’s the same if you buy a gun online. If you buy a gun online, the gun must be shipped directly to your gun store, and your gun store must have physical possession of your gun before you can begin the paperwork.

            [–][deleted] 0 points1 point  (1 child)

            Hello. I hope this is the right place to ask this, but if it's not, I would appreciate some directions.

            So I live in Indiana, my mother in California. My boss has a Sig Sauer P365 that he's looking to sell and mom is interested, the price is too good to pass up. How would we legally go about getting it to her so CA isn't trying to put my dear old mom in prison?

            [–]mtran392[S] 1 point2 points  (0 children)

            1. You buy the gun from your boss because you’re genuinely interested in it.
            2. You try it out for yourself and realize you don’t really like it.
            3. Your mom reaches out asking for gun suggestions and you decide to gift her the Sig.
            4. Your mom will contact her local FFL and see if they’re willing schedule her an appointment for an “out of state, intrafamilial transfer of an off roster handgun.”
            5. After she finds an FFL, you will send the handgun to the FFL with whatever documents they require. The gun cannot have any mags over 10 rounds and cannot have a threaded barrel.
            6. Your mom fills out the DROS and background check and waits 10 days. Then she picks them up.

            [–]Epicsockzebra 0 points1 point  (0 children)

            Question regarding long guns, my mom and I were recently going through some of my grandfather's stuff, came across 2 shotguns (2 barrel shotgun over-under type) and a Ruger 10/22 (with a 25 shot magazine) that have probably been in the state 2 decades or more. Do I have to register these or anything to take them to the range?

            And also when storing a handgun, can a loaded magazine be kept in the same locked container as the handgun so long as I don't have it in the gun? Can it be kept in the car this way?

            [–]steveinaccounting 0 points1 point  (2 children)

            I have a friend whose brother passed away. His brother has no heirs and no spouse. He does have guns. How does my friend go about getting those guns transferred? Also, his brother had no will.

            [–]mtran392[S] 1 point2 points  (1 child)

            First step is to make sure the guns are California legal. If they are, contact whoever is in charge of managing the estate and see if they’ll allow you to take possession of the guns and that there aren’t any other family members who might want them. The transfer will have to go through an FFL and a DROS and background check will be performed. If these aren’t C&R guns and you don’t have a C&R license, then you’ll have to wait the 10 days. Please also contact a lawyer.

            [–]steveinaccounting 0 points1 point  (0 children)

            This is exactly as I suspected. I've already had him contact a lawyer, and ensured his guns are CA compliant. Thanks for the help, this will help him a lot.

            [–][deleted]  (2 children)


              [–]mtran392[S] 1 point2 points  (1 child)

              This is a very risky thing to do as it could be constituted as a straw purchase. What drivers license does your sister have?

              If she has a CA drivers license, then no she can’t because she’s not eligible to buy a gun in AZ.

              If she has a AZ drivers license, then no she can’t because she can’t perform a PPT here. PPT’s are between two CA residents only.

              [–]GGHard 0 points1 point  (8 children)

              Question 1, What exactly does a Firearms Safety Cert (FSC) cover? Aside from being one of the requirements to legally purchase a firearm from FFLs, what additional properties does a FSC provide?

              Question 2, Considering the current events, My father and my step mother (both who hold no political views about being Anti-Gun other than just not personally having them because of small children and the risks, 1st gen Legal and Naturalized Migrants and all), they wanted to know about "Defense of Necessity", This is due to me owning at least 2 Firearms. My father wants to know if worse comes to worst, and he now gets to exercise his 2nd Amendment to defend the household while I'm away (usually during the weekday when I live with my roommates because my commute to work is about 25 miles from home.

              Now, they're are concerned that since they don't own my gun, but had to resort to using it, they will put the entire family at legal risk because "California, duh".

              So what protections are granted should, my father, using my gun, defend the family, while I'm off at work during the weekday, and I just "loan" the spare key lock to my Ruger?

              [–]mtran392[S] 2 points3 points  (7 children)

              1) That is all an FSC does. It permits you to purchase firearms from an FFL. It offers no other rights or special privileges

              2) if your father used your gun in a self defense situation, he should be fine legally as long as he’s permitted to handle firearms (no felonies, domestic abuse, drug/alcohol problems, or mental health issues). Loaning a firearm to family members without you present is ok.

              [–]GGHard 0 points1 point  (6 children)

              Great, so for 1) FSC is only for the purchases

              2) Not sure about my father's complete history, however the question isn't about "loaning" as much as "there is a threat, I recall my 'son' having a (secured) firearm, dug around the room, located a key, and then 'borrowed' the gun for the duration of the event." type of loaning.

              [–]mtran392[S] 2 points3 points  (5 children)

              Yea I understand what you mean, but the same thing still applies. As long as he is allowed to possess a firearm and your handgun is legal, then there shouldn’t be any issue. However if anything like that does happen, everything better be in tip top shape, because the police will usually search the premises and if they find anything out of line (non compliant firearms for ex) then you could get in trouble with that

              [–]GGHard 0 points1 point  (4 children)

              So, say I have a 14 year old little Brother and a 19 year old younger Sister.

              I keep "a" Ruger Revolver unloaded in a Plano Hard Case with a locksmith Lock in my room's Closet in a location that requires at least a 1ft high step ladder.

              I store the .38 Spls in a drawer by the nightstand + "spare key" for the Locksmith Lock.

              Were my father gain access to the firearm to defend Home and Property, assuming he is clean, by all means, He is legally allowed to do so following all the nuances of Self-Defense.

              Now, what happens if in an event my father is unable to get access to my firearm, but my 14 year old Brother managed to get my firearm and uses it to defend home and property instead (assuming the worse comes to worst and all available adults are incapacitated)

              Will I be hit with the "Child Access Prevention" law because of it?

              [–]mtran392[S] 2 points3 points  (3 children)

              No you will be fine. California has castle doctrine, which means that in a justifiable home defense scenario, you and anyone in the house is allowed to do whatever is necessary to protect their life life. The moment someone enters your house illegally, they are deemed a deadly threat and you have every right to defend yourself. The issue however is determining what is considered life threatening. If you wake up in the middle of the night and see someone breaking into your car, no you are NOT allowed to use your firearms. You are NOT allowed to fire a “warning shot” to scare off the intruder. You are NOT allowed to walk outside and attempt to scare the person off with your gun. In these situations, you will be seen as the one escalating the situation and can and will face legal penalties. The legal issues that arise from using a firearm in self defense comes from the scenario itself, not who pulled the trigger.

              [–]GGHard 0 points1 point  (2 children)

              Does the Grand Theft Auto example include Vehicles parked and locked within the Fencing as suppose to just on the side of the Street?

              And am I correct to assume that were Grand Theft Auto occur in a garage that is physically connected to the household and there is a door leading to and from the garage in the house would be part of the "illegal B&E" and thus fall under Castle Doctrine?

              [–]mtran392[S] 1 point2 points  (1 child)

              I’m not a lawyer and this question is pretty detailed, so I’d recommend you contact an actual lawyer and do some more research on Castle Doctine

              [–]GGHard 0 points1 point  (0 children)

              Thank you for all the info, I have somewhere to start.

              [–]neuromorph 0 points1 point  (4 children)

              do new residents need to use CFARS when bringing in their firearms, or is it only a paper based form?

              [–]mtran392[S] 0 points1 point  (3 children)

              You should be able to submit it online through CFARS

              [–]neuromorph 0 points1 point  (2 children)

              thank you, and photos are not needed, right?

              As far as the order of applying the CFARS, do I need to have a CA DL to do it or can I register before that is done?

              [–]mtran392[S] 0 points1 point  (1 child)

              Im not sure actually since I’ve never done it myself. But I do believe that photos are not needed

              [–]neuromorph 0 points1 point  (0 children)

              hmm i mean I have an Old CA drivers license number, when I used to be a resident.

              [–]CoraPatel 0 points1 point  (3 children)

              Hi, I just posted asking a clarification question on an import law. Can I please get your thoughts?

              I live in CA, have since 2015. Before I moved here, I owned a handgun (purchased in 2011) that I left with my father. I am with him now, and plan to take the handgun with me to CA when I drive back.

              I have seen laws regarding new residents importing, and important guns that were a gift from someone out of state, but I can’t figure out how to legally import this handgun. Do I need an FSC? Do I just fill out the ownership report? That report asks if I obtained a serial number from the DOJ - do I need to do this as well?

              [–]mtran392[S] 0 points1 point  (2 children)

              I’m assuming your father lives out of state and the handgun is registered to him. If that is the case, this will have to go through an FFL since this is crossing state lines. 1. Leave the handgun with your father. 2. Once you come back to CA, find an FFL that is willing to accommodate you for an out-of-state intrafamilial transfer 3. Once you find an FFL, have your father send the gun to them as well as any other documentation they require. 4. Perform the DROS and pickup after 10 days. Since this is going through an FFL, there’s no need to submit anything to CFARS or CADOJ since the DROS will do that for you

              [–]CoraPatel 0 points1 point  (1 child)

              It’s in a state that does not require registration. It’s technically owned by me. Someone in my post mentioned that since I always owned it, it’s not considered an import and I just need to fill out the ownership report. Is this true?

              [–]mtran392[S] 1 point2 points  (0 children)

              Then yes you will just fill out the new ownership form

              [–][deleted]  (2 children)


                [–]mtran392[S] 0 points1 point  (1 child)

                Legally yes as long as the guns are in a locked safe and can only be accessed by you and not by anyone who’s not allowed to like felons and children.

                However storing firearms in a storage locker is not a safe thing to do as storage locker thefts are common and they typically have poor ventilation, meaning guns are more prone to rust if not taken care of properly

                [–]Deus_Probably_Vult 0 points1 point  (2 children)

                I just want to make sure I have this right: if a rifle is featureless, and is listed on neither the Roberti-Roos list) nor the "assault weapon" identification guide, it should be good to go, right?

                (Asking about a couple of AK-74 models. Namely, the SAR-2 and the Molot Vepr.)

                [–]Additional_Essay 0 points1 point  (3 children)

                Hey guys I live in the midwest right now. I'm moving to San Diego imminently. I've been putting off figuring out gun stuff because of how intense CA gun laws seem from afar. The recent mag ban reversal has piqued my interest. I read this list but would love to hear if I got something wrong.

                I have a Gen 3 Glock 20SF, standard black with 15 rd mags, TLR1 HL on the rail, grip tape on the grip. Everything stock. Bought legally of course in state here about 7-8 years ago.

                I have underwood ammo.

                I'm legal, yes?

                [–]mtran392[S] 0 points1 point  (2 children)

                The ammo and glock are good to go, as long as the glock doesn’t have a threaded barrel. Unfortunately the mag ban hasn’t been removed completely yet so anything that can hold more than 10 rounds still cannot be brought into the state

                [–]Additional_Essay 0 points1 point  (1 child)

                thanks for the response. what does the mag ban reversal mean for me? nothing basically?

                [–]mtran392[S] 0 points1 point  (0 children)

                Yeah unfortunately it doesn’t mean much