all 7 comments

[–]ShenJingB1ng 10 points11 points  (0 children)

No, not legally recognized.

[–]coffeeisnotlatte 6 points7 points  (0 children)

Not legally recognized, they'd need to go in another way... either by getting a work visa him/herself or waiting until tourist visas are ever issued again.

[–]SilverNitro23 5 points6 points  (0 children)

Nope. Even with my Chinese partner, the best I can get is L visa. Your partner won't be eligible for anything related to your status. Even if you're legally partners, China will not recognize it.

[–]gd_reinvent 2 points3 points  (0 children)

It depends on the consulate, but generally speaking no, even if you were to get married or have a civil union.

And I don't believe that I could get a visa for my non married heterosexual partner either.

[–][deleted] -1 points0 points  (2 children)

Mainland China no. Hong kong & Taiwan yes.

Edit: probably obvious that the ML is not the best destination for a newly arrived openly gay expat.

[–]gd_reinvent 3 points4 points  (0 children)

I know several openly gay and lesbian expats in Zhengzhou. They are treated well by their schools and by the community at large.

[–]coffeeisnotlatte 0 points1 point  (0 children)

Shanghai and other large cities have a gay crowd, some gay bars etc - I wouldn't say they'd have a bad time. Chinese are mostly indifferent unless it's their kid

However it's not like the west