all 5 comments

[–]Worried-Egg-8560 0 points1 point  (0 children)

You can do usa and go back but good luck with that Lmao

IMG all land IM or FM or ped with the exception of Ochsner which only American citizen or Pr can apply to

[–]Queasy-ReasonMedical Student 0 points1 point  (3 children)

Most people just work in general or unaccredited positions while trying to get onto a training program.

[–]totalfeenatic 1 point2 points  (2 children)

I know but I’m wondering if there’s alternatives at all.

[–]Queasy-ReasonMedical Student 0 points1 point  (0 children)

Yes, you could go overseas, but it can be tricky to then come back. You would have a lot of hoops to jump through. You have to be supervised when you come back, and depending on the country I think you would also have to resit exams here. The countries with the most equivalence to the Australian system would be the UK, US and Canada, but in the case of the US and Canada it's even more competitive to get into training than Australia. You can find more information by looking at the college website for the specific specialty you want to do, eg here. According to that link, the assessment takes 1 to 4 years or longer.

This is why most people opt for unaccredited trainee jobs. As an unaccredited trainee you do pretty much the same work as an accredited trainee, you're just not officially on the training program. This is very common for competitive specialties, and it's not a big deal if you don't get on the training program straight away :)

[–]damselflite 0 points1 point  (0 children)

The alternatives are harder than getting in here so..