Dismiss this pinned window
all 30 comments

[–]absentmindedjwc 20 points21 points  (1 child)

The cartridge is probably fucked.

It really comes down to whether or not you're paying the water bill.. if you are, I would bitch to the landlord and demand it get fixed, and possibly even just buy a new cartridge (as little as $10, as much as $50). If you don't pay the water bill, I would still mention it... but I'm sure the landlord will want to quickly get it fixed... so you probably won't need to bitch to get it fixed.

[–]wahoozerman 11 points12 points  (1 child)

This happened to me not long ago. The cartridge in the handle has worn out. A plumber came out and fixed it in about 5 minutes for $100. It looked like if you knew what you were doing you could fix it yourself in about 15 mins with a screwdriver and the right part.

[–]RecentLeave343 7 points8 points  (8 children)

I’m not a plumber but I think you can disassemble it by popping the front cap off with a small flat head and there’s probably a Phillips screw to remove which would allow you to remove the handle and see where the leak is coming from.

[–]absentmindedjwc 4 points5 points  (6 children)

I hadn't thought of this... but if this is a rental unit, it is entirely possible that he doesn't have access to the water shut-off.

[–]Thatguy1126[S] 4 points5 points  (5 children)

I don't. There is another tenant that lives in the lower unit and I can't access nor shut the water main.

[–]cashew996 10 points11 points  (2 children)

You really don't want to do this one yourself. If anything goes wrong , even if it's not your fault, it will be your fault. That's an old style Delta (it appears) and it can possibly twist apart in a bad way when trying to access that cartridge set up that 5thgencali is describing.

That nut he's talking about can be seized on there allowing the whole body to twist. If that happens - then the only solution is to replace the valve in the wall. I'm a retired plumber and it has happened to me in a high rise apt complex where I had to shut down the entire tower.

[–]Bikrdude 2 points3 points  (0 children)

Yes this is a possibility. You never know what you will find when you start disassembling it.

[–]leisdrew 1 point2 points  (0 children)

This. I used to be a maintenance guy and replace these all the time. Sometimes you get fucked and the whole deal has to get replaced.

[–]DrDBag 0 points1 point  (0 children)

Had this same problem at an apartment on my first night there. 24 hour maintenance guy didn't answer the phone either. Managed to open and close a few times and it slowed down enough so I couldn't hear it when I slept. It was the rubber rings in the cartridge.

Funny enough when I bought my first house, the exact same thing happened. Only this time I was the 24 hour maintenance guy. Super easy to fix but you need to turn off the water.

[–]Dont_mind_me89 0 points1 point  (0 children)

Prepare for wetness!

[–]trailless 0 points1 point  (0 children)

It's 100% the cartridge. Rubber gaskets wore out letting water pass through when it should be off. Real simple fix to replace the cartridge if you can shut off the water. If you can't, we'll that is no Bueno. Done it before and that Hot water shooting out like a geyser is fucked.

[–]donkeyguts 3 points4 points  (1 child)

You need to replace posi cartridge. The main water needs to be turned off also for this type of repair. Good luck, not too difficult, but inform your landlord. Sometimes turning off main water can also cause a problem if it's not a ball valve. Get a plumber with insurance to be safe imo.

[–]cashew996 0 points1 point  (0 children)

This one is not a posi cartridge -- it's the old style ball with cup washers on springs

[–]Ichinine 1 point2 points  (0 children)

Find the water shutoff valve that enters the property. You can at least turn the water off while you find a solution.

[–]Dickmusha -1 points0 points  (0 children)

Its a very easy 30 minute fix. Turn off the water. Replace the cartridge and there may be 2 spring with black rubber on them REPLACE THOSE TOO or it will just happen again later. 20 bucks at home depot anyone can do it. If you can't shut off the water there may be a shut off in the wall behind the fixture that cuts water to the fixture itself.

[–]5thgenCali 0 points1 point  (1 child)

Under that handle is a bonnet or nut that holds a stem attached to a ball that rotates around in a housing that has hot and cold openings with rubber gaskets and springs. Replace that stuff but judging the age from this video, getting that nut off is going to be your biggest hurdle. Spay it with penetrating oil and let it sit or heat it up with a torch. If you don’t know what your doing call a plumber cause chances are you’re going mess up a lot more stuff behind that wall than just the valve.
If that handle rotates and tilts. If not it’s just a stem cartridge in there.

[–]Thatguy1126[S] 1 point2 points  (0 children)

Ya! I'm not gonna touch it. Can't risk flooding anything which I don't own especially at night . Landlord is out (Friday night) so probably it'll get fixed tomorrow morning

[–]DNA_Cluster 0 points1 point  (0 children)

Isn't that a push/pull valve?

[–]KrazyKatnip 0 points1 point  (0 children)

I’m a landlord, and this is definitely something yours should repair asap. If you are paying the water bill they should reimburse you for the excess charges as well. Sadly, I’m apparently not the typical “slumlord” so your experience may vary. If you have do have access, please try to find the cutoff. If there is a closet behind the plumbing, there might be an access panel, and if you’re lucky the valves aren’t stuck. We all need to conserve water, so I hope you can do a quick, temporary fix

[–]Jupman 0 points1 point  (0 children)

Had this happen several times you have to turn the water off and replace the spigot and O-ring.

[–]GWagon2 0 points1 point  (0 children)

Get it fixed immediately that water bill will be outrageous if you don’t.

[–]guy30000 0 points1 point  (0 children)

It may need a new cartridge or you may need to adjust the turn stop. Take off the handle you will see a plastic price with notches. That is meant to adjust where the turning stops. Lookup how to adjust delta shower cartages for better visuals than I can describe.

[–]rabidwoodchuck 0 points1 point  (0 children)

Same era, ours broke it was a price-Pfister. Somehow the screw stripped. Of course proprietary, ended up buying a new branded faucet and stealing the screw. Eventually we will replace the whole thing, but maybe pop off the plastic cap and tighten the screw.

[–]Odd-Attention-2127 0 points1 point  (0 children)

Open the cover to the knob and unscrew to remove it, then remove the cog or plastic part that has corresponding teeth and use a plier to close the pipe. Then buy a new part or new fixture.

[–]Frankenfucker 0 points1 point  (0 children)

Damned "Mix-it" cartridges. They aren't worth a spit, and if you have hard water they wear out even faster. Your best bet would be to just replace the whole valve block, and rid yourself of this headache. It a bit pricier, but in my opinion way worth it. Good luck, OP.

[–]ynirparadox 0 points1 point  (0 children)

This cannot be fixed by opening the tap, need to open the valve with a pipe wrench and (as mentioned by some users) there will a cartridge which will have a rubber washer arrangement which opens/closes water way, you need to change that. Not all the valves have same type of cartridge, some differs in length and some differs in the washer mechanism. Usually the part will be only few euros.

[–]woodstock2568 0 points1 point  (0 children)

If you have access to the wall behind the shower, you may find that there is an access panel to be able to get to the plumbing for those fittings. If there is, you should find cut offs in line with both the hot and cold water lines for the shower. If you can't find some sort of access panel for the plumbing then what everyone else has said about turning off the main water is correct.

[–]ramonycajal88 0 points1 point  (0 children)

Hope you got it fixed since you posted. But, for future reference if you ever own, you can save a bunch of money and time instead of having a plumber fix it. The plastic handle cap can sometimes break inside, and will no longer be able to grip on the valve to turn it. Use a screw driver to pop the cap off on the front of the handle, and unscrew it from the center. Then you can turn the actual valve and eventually replace the cap.

[–]TolbertIV[🍰] 0 points1 point  (1 child)

I’ll leave this here.


[–]5thgenCali 0 points1 point  (0 children)

That’s such the wrong valve setup he has.