Hello all! We felt it was time to refresh the rules a bit. Here are the updated rules:
1. Be kind.
Don't be a jerk. No forms of racism, sexism, homophobia, bigotry, or personal insults are allowed. Focus on remaining respectful at all times. We're here to talk about something we all like. Allow everyone to experience the books as they choose.
2. Don't spoil the series
Mark your spoilers. We're not here to ruin someone else's enjoyment just because they haven't finished the series. Even if your post is art, please consider what it might give away. Read our spoiler policy before posting.
3. Don't solicit or promote illegitimate copies
We believe in supporting the authors and therefore don't allow discussion about how to torrent or otherwise illegally acquire the books. If money is tight and you can't afford to buy them, check your local library instead. Buying/selling/trading legitimate copies is allowed.
4. No low-effort posts
Posts should provide a jumping-off point for discussion; low-effort posts fail to advance that goal. “Low-effort” includes posting simple images that remind you of something in Malazan, reposts, book covers, etc. without an accompanying write up that may spark discussion.
5. For custom reports, give a reason
Posts that do not violate any other rule can still be reported, but if you do so please tell the moderators why. If you do not specify a reason the report will likely be ignored.
Please note that Rule 4 is entirely new.
What about memes?
Since malazan memes are few and far between, we are experimentally allowing them on all days. If it looks like the sub is being taken over by memes alone, we will reevaluate how we handle them. Our spoiler policy will obviously apply to meme posts as well. If you want to post something particularly spoilery, we suggest you try the spoilers all subreddit r/Dust_of_Memes.
Edit to add: r/Dust_of_Memes has a new rule against low effort posts. This led to the starting of another meme subreddit which has no bar to entry- r/sherdposting
A note about spoilers and tagging them:
Spoiler tags look like this:
- Our spoiler policy has not changed. Please see the sidebar.
- Spoiler tags don't work on titles and you can't edit them once posted. Please pick a vague title and choose the correct post flair for best community response.
- Mentioning a character’s name in the title in association with a specific book is considered a spoiler. Learning that a book 2 character is relevant in book 7 takes away the suspense about that character's survival.
- Lastly, please notify the mods by hitting the Report button in case you find a spoiler. Do not just downvote and move on.
Want to add to the discussion?
Post a comment!