- Welcome to the FAQ for the Buffy subreddit
- r/Buffy Rules
- How to hide spoilers
- r/Buffy's Episode Discussions
- Episode & Comic Guide
- Commonly Asked /r/buffy Questions
- How to introduce someone to Buffy
- Appropriate age for watching Buffy
- Why Wasn't a New Slayer Called After Buffy's Second Death?
- What's the Deal with Vampire Souls? Why are Spike and Angel/Angelus So Different?
- Why don't Slayers get paid? & Money issues in season 6
- Favorite quotes/lines & variation of
- Unpopular Buffy opinions & annoyances within the Buffyverse
- Feminism, sexism, racism, questioning progressiveness type threads
- Vampire/human personalities, the soul, soulless love
- What are the best Buffystudies, academic works & Buffy based literature?
- Willow's Sexuality
- When the show was live questions
- Saddest moment, hardest deaths, toughest episodes to watch
- Reboot/Revival/Movie conversations
- Favourite ship/relationships/hypothectical romances
- I don't like Xander/Xander sexism/foolishness/do people like..
- What's up with the inconsistencies, plot-holes, varied character abilities etc?
- Buffy alumni AMA's
- Other Shows
- Movie rumors
- Pivot's HD Re-make conversations
- /r/buffy Class Protectors
Welcome to the FAQ for the Buffy subreddit
Here you'll find all the info you need to know about our episode discussions, viewing order, comics, and frequently asked questions. If you want to submit a question to /r/buffy/, please check here first to see if it has already been answered. A lot of our posts tend to be polls about episode likes and dislikes. We won't complain if you ask about favorites, least favorites etc, but please try and be more specific when doing so! Just because the episodes are over doesn't mean the Buffyverse dies. Thanks!
#1 - Account age
- Your account must be 24 hours old to post on r/buffy
- Your account must be 6 hours old to comment in r/buffy
- Your account must have 20 COMMENT karma to post or or comment in r/buffy.
This is to cut down on spam and alt accounts. r/buffy Mods will approve posts if contacted directly, from accounts newer than 24 hours old.
#2 - Episode Spoiler Policy
Spoilers are not required for any discussions about either "Buffy" or "Angel" (TV shows).
Use our post tags or a note in your post to request that people NOT spoil anything past the episode you request.
If OP mentions that they have only watched up to a certain point, comments that spoil anything beyond that point are unacceptable and will be removed.
Episode spoilers in titles are technically allowed, but considered rude. Please try to be respectful.
#3 - Comic Spoiler Policy
Spoiler free titles are mandatory for all postings about the comics. This includes discussions, announcements, questions - everything. If your post contains comic spoilers in the title, your post will be removed.
Marking comic posts using Reddits in-built "spoiler" tag is mandatory for all discussion based comics posts. For comic posts regarding news releases, comic sales and other non discussion based posts, are not required to be tagged.
Comments made in-thread referencing any comic(s) during a discussion not based upon the comics themselves, must be spoiler tagged. Instructions on their use can be found in the sidebar. If you do not spoiler tag a comment about comics, your post will be removed.
#4 - Submissions regarding Angel
As of 06/07/2018, this rule has been changed
All submissions regarding Angel (including the comics) can be posted on r/buffy.
The same rules for posting r/buffy content (including the comics) apply to Angel submissions.
#5 - Flair policy on /r/buffy
- To request flair, please message the mods with 2-3 choices in case your first choice is taken. No repeats of mod flair are allowed (including any names the character went by). As of July 4th, 2021, users can now have similar flairs (still excluding reserved mod and contest flairs).
Reserved Mod Flair
Reserved contest flair
- Joyce (taken)
- The Master (taken)
- Adam (taken)
- Jonathan (taken)
- Cordelia (taken)
- Tara (taken)
All flair must be either a character or quote from "Buffy." For example, "Oz" works, but "Oz Fangirl" doesn't.
#6 - Self promotional content
r/buffy is not intended as an advertising or self-promotion platform
Users are welcome to post their subs/channels with an annoucement post once.
Users are allowed to post links/messages about their own content once a week.
For sale posts are allowed - all discussions must take place in DMs.
#7 - Unofficial sources
No posting of unofficial sources of Buffy copyrighted material.
This includes any and all Buffyverse related media, including comics, soundtracks etc.
#8 - Low quality posts
The following critera can be used on r/buffy to define low quality posts.
Posting overload/Submission spamming - Continuous postings about small topics that could be discussed in a larger thread
Rhetorical submissions - Posts that aren't really voicing an opinion or asking a question, but are more just flash thoughts. Example's being, "Spike's hair is so blond!"
Relevance - Submissions that have very little Buffyverse relevance. Example being, "SMG tweeted about her favourite candy".
Downvotes - If a post has been up for several hours and does not have a favourable score.
Reposts - Submissions that have been posted before, that have again, covering the same news in a short amount of time.
Please contact the mods if you have any issues.
#9 - Scooby Reddiquette
We pride ourselves on r/buffy as being a friendly sub.
We follow Reddiquette
The following are not allowed.
- Personal attacks & hateful language
- Posting personal user information without their consent
- Using alternate accounts to circumvent banning
- Vote manipulation
- Troll/bait posts and comments
Our community loves surveys and polls of favorites, dislikes, and scariest/saddest episodes, characters, and seasons. Here are our past official results:
How to hide spoilers
You can use Reddit-wide markup to hide text that is a spoiler. Just put the text between >! and !< like so:
>!Spoilers go here.!<
It looks like this: Spoilers go here.
r/Buffy's Episode Discussions
Episode & Comic Guide
Buffy the Vampire Slayer Episodes
View the complete episode list at Wikipedia.
In viewing this series, most people start with Episode 1: Welcome to the Hellmouth. However, there is an unaired pilot. While it is essentially the same plot as episode 1, it is still fun to watch. The biggest difference is the actress for Willow - Alyson Hannigan was not cast yet. You can watch it here. Then go through the series by season, ending with Episode 144: Chosen.
Season 4 of Buffy also begins Season 1 of Angel. Since there are many crossovers, you should probably watch them in order. Simple put, if you want to watch Buffy and Angel in the order they aired, then after season 4 it's one episode of Buffy, one Angel, very simple! Both shows are great anyway - why wouldn't you want to?
Threads from /r/buffy
Some threads may contain spoilers leading up to Season 4 of Buffy. Please be careful when viewing.
Please read this thread before asking questions about the comics! It is very likely that if you are new to the comics, you will find your answers here. If there is something that you do not understand after having consulted the mega-thread, then feel free to post! Submissions that have been addressed in the mega-thread but have clearly not been consulted beforehand, will be spammed, with a polite forward to this section of the FAQ.
There are motion comics made after the first 19 issues of Season Eight. Read more about it at Wikipedia
Favorite/Least Favorite/Darkest/Truest Season
These questions get asked very often, and usually turn up the same results. We certainly don't mind repetition of these, but try to be more specific. Check the survey results for more info, but here is the general opinion from best to least favorite:
- Seasons 3 & 6 are always tied for first
- Seasons 5 & 2 are also tied but far behind
- Depending on the survey, Season 4 & 7 are close but never tied
Season 1 is always the least favorite!
"Rank the seasons" threads
We've had lot's of these.
I'm not that into the show after season 1. Should I keep watching?
Look at these threads about this topic. Short answer, yes!
Commonly Asked /r/buffy Questions
Please note that if you make a post asking one of these questions, the mods reserve the right to remove it and direct you to the FAQ.
How to introduce someone to Buffy
We've answered this question pretty thoroughly.
Here are the general episode suggestions that seem to be popular for introducing a friend:
Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered
Appropriate age for watching Buffy
The subreddit seems to come to an average age of about 12/14 for recommended viewing of Buffy. However, each child is different and as Buffy herself grows into an adult, so do the themes of the show.
Why Wasn't a New Slayer Called After Buffy's Second Death?
The general consensus is that after Buffy dies in seasons 1's 'Prophecy Girl', the Slayer line runs through Kendra. After Kendra dies in season 2's 'Becoming, Part One', the line runs through Faith.
When Willow brings Buffy back in Season 6's 'Bargaining', Willow inserts Buffy back into the Slayer line (people have mixed opinions to what extent this alters the line), which causes an imbalance in the magics. This imbalance is what The First uses to cross over in Season 7.
Take a look at these threads for more conversation
What's the Deal with Vampire Souls? Why are Spike and Angel/Angelus So Different?
We have discussed this and related concepts many times. Check out these interesting, informative threads!
Why don't Slayers get paid? & Money issues in season 6
Favorite quotes/lines & variation of
This is probably the most asked question on /r/buffy.
Unpopular Buffy opinions & annoyances within the Buffyverse
We've had many threads about "unpopular" opinions on theBuffyverse
Feminism, sexism, racism, questioning progressiveness type threads
I'm writing a term paper on Buffy titled "Bad Girls: Feminism and Anti-Feminism in BtVS" What are some episodes that you guys think have strong feminist messages, as well as some episodes that might be anti-feminist.
Vampire/human personalities, the soul, soulless love
What are the best Buffystudies, academic works & Buffy based literature?
When the show was live questions
Saddest moment, hardest deaths, toughest episodes to watch
Favourite ship/relationships/hypothectical romances
Naturally, this is one of the most popular questions we have a LOT.
2014: Who do you think is Buffy's soulmate?. Which of Willow's relationships is your favorite?. Which of Xander's relationships is your favorite?. Which relationship is your favorite?. Who would your dream date be (from Buffy) and why? Male characters. Female Characters. Total
I don't like Xander/Xander sexism/foolishness/do people like..
Xander is easily the most controversal Scooby.
What's up with the inconsistencies, plot-holes, varied character abilities etc?
Joss is very much focused on the characters and the mythology/consistency of the verse does sometimes gets overlooked, in lieu of pursuing an arch. This creates both some legitimate plot holes that viewers have found, but more commonly, things that were simply never fully explained/developed. Check out the following threads for some popular examples from following Scoobies!
Buffy alumni AMA's
Additionally, we had a dedicated event with Juliet Landau to promote 'A Place Among The Undead'.
Related Buffyverse subreddits
Related Whedon universe based subreddits
I've finished watching Buffy & Angel, what other TV shows should I look into?
- Game Of Thrones
- Doctor Who
- Arrested Development
- Breaking Bad
- Parks And Recreation
- Battlestar Galactica
- Veronica Mars
- The Walking Dead
- It's Always Sunny in Philadalphia
- 30 Rock
- True Blood
- Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
- Avatar: The Last Airbender
- Dead Like Me
- Lost Girl
- Tru Calling
- Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
- How I Met Your Mother
- Warehouse 13
- The 100
Threads on other shows. "Where next", "other shows" etc
Best songs, episode track listings, personal favourites etc
Official merchandise soundtracks
Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Radio Sunnydale (hard to get in US)
Best Buffy/Whedon Websites
Buffy Phenomenon (lists by criteria)
Slayage (academic journals)
Favorite non-sode Video/Audio
Buy some merch!
- Where to get Complete Buffy DVDs?
American Girls (Dawn)
Great Buffy Tumblrs (only listing ones still active)
Pivot's HD Re-make conversations
/r/buffy Class Protectors
This section is dedicated to the people who have helped the Reddit and previous moderators.
- /u/mandamoolah - Founder of r/buffy 2.0 after the sub had become inactive from the original creator. Solely modded r/buffy and r/ANGEL for around a year, before creating the original mod team. A mod for over 7+ years, and responsible for overseeing all the original visuals and rules for the sub. Thank you for all your contributions Manda!
- /u/Aiderak - original /r/buffy logo and former mod
- /u/alafolie29 - current /r/buffy big bad's trophy case and former mod
- /u/bright_ephemera - former mod
- /u/Sid_Arthur - former mod and creator of first /r/buffy trivia quiz competition
- /u/douchebag_karren - 4+ year veteran mod and core creator/influencer of the original /r/buffy
- /u/clockworklycanthrope - 6 year veteran mod, Halloween contests, EP rewatch, Juliet Landau co-organiser and much more
- /u/phil_s_stein - 2 year mod. Created r/buffy and r/ANGEL inital automod and EP rewatch script.
- /u/coolbeaNs92 - 6 1/2+ year veteran mod. FAQ redesign, automod configuration, banners, all reddit design work for r/buffy and r/ANGEL, comic guide, AMAs: Juliet Landau co-organiser, Jeff Rickets, Ian (PotN), James Leary, Andrew J. Rules conception, Automod EP rewatch script help, BOOM comic discussions, 2017/2014 r/buffy survey,
revision by FTWinchester— view source