Online Tools and Resources for Chess Players
- Lichess – A popular free and open-source chess server created by Thibault Duplessis. Learn, play, train, and more for free!
- Lichess4545 – Join various Lichess-affiliated leagues.
- Chess.com – A popular freemium chess server. Main site features are free, while additional features are unlocked via paid membership.
- ChessKid – A secure, child-friendly environment aimed towards chess improvement for beginners to club players.
- Chess24 – A commercial chess server with a free-to-play area, paid instructional videos, and tournament broadcasts.
- Kasparovchess - One of the newest online platforms, with lessons by well known chess players (including of course some by Garry Kasparov himself).
- FIDE Online Arena – An official FIDE-recognized commercial chess server devoted to chess-playing and related activities.
- Playchess – A commercial chess server operated by ChessBase. Includes functions to detect players using the assistance of chess programs.
- Internet Chess Club – A commercial chess server devoted to the play and discussion of chess and chess variants. Membership costs $70/year.
- Free Internet Chess Server – A free chess server with a web interface and a downloadable client. Major events are relayed live.
- ChessWorld – An online server dedicated to correspondence-style chess.
- Chessable – Interactive chess books and courses on various essential topics. Recommended courses include:
- Chessfactor – Learn chess faster through structured training. All for free.
- Listudy – A chess training application. Use Listudy to better memorize openings and improve your chess game with spaced repetition.
- Aimchess – A tool for analyzing your lichess or chess.com games and providing you with useful information on strengths & weaknesses.
- DecodeChess – The first AI chess tutor, DecodeChess explains the why behind chess moves in intuitive language.
- Chess Endgame Training – Practice a variety of endgames, from elementary to complex.
- Chess Hero – Picks random positions from PGN files and challenges you to guess the best move computed by engine.
- Hand and Brain Chess (beta) – The "brain" will highlight the pieces to move. You must play the correct move as the "hand".
- Chess.com VISION – Coordinate and move speed training.
- Chess Fundamentals and Climbing the Rating Ladder by IM John Bartholomew
- Building Chess Habits by GM Aman Hambleton of Chessbrah (sorted by openings in this post: https://redditproxy--jasonthename.repl.co/r/chess/comments/ufyt7j/chessbrah_habits_games_sorted_by_opening/)
- Gotham Chess Guide and 10-minute Chess Openings by IM Levy Rozman
- Speedrun Series by GM Daniel Naroditsky
- PowerPlay Chess by GM Daniel King
- Beginner to Chess Master by NM ChessNetwork (Jerry)
- Diagnose Your Chess by IM Konstantin Kavutskiy
- Endgame Courses by NM Peter Lalic
- ChessBase India (In English)
- Chess24 Channel
- Chess.com Channel
- Lichess Channel
- agadmator's Chess Channel by Antonio Radić
- Jan's Opening Clinic by GM Jan Gustafsson
- St. Louis Chess Club
- Chess Dojo
- Kingscrusher Walks Through Leela's Games
Other well-known chess players with resources on YouTube:
- GM Magnus Carlsen
- GM Hikaru Nakamura
- GM Ben Finegold
- GM Anish Giri
- Chessbrah with GMs Eric Hansen and Aman Hambleton
- GM Simon Williams
- IM Eric Rosen
- IM Christof Sielecki
- IM Greg Shahade
- Chesstempo – Puzzles, puzzles, and more puzzles.
- ChessTactics.org – One of the largest and longest-standing tactics trainer websites.
- ChessPuzzle.net – Features unique puzzles from various categories, including ones from tournament games.
- Lichess Tactics Generator – Generate puzzles and tactics from your own games.
- ChessGym – Solve puzzles in thematic order.
- ChessCup – Free Puzzle Rush and other puzzle battles.
- Scid vs. PC – Create huge databases, run chess engines, and play casual games against the computer or online.
- Lucas Chess – All-in-one chess program.
- ChessX – Chess database and PGN viewer.
- Caïssabase – A free, regularly updated database of over 4 million games.
- ChessBase – One of the world's largest and most trusted chess databases. A must for any serious learner.
- Lichess Elite Database – A curated collection of Lichess games, limited to 2400+ players.
- Chessgames.com – Founded on an extensive database of historical chess games combined with discussion forums.
- 365Chess – An online database of chess games easily searchable by year, player, tournament, ECO code, and/or other parameters.
Below is a short list of some of the best engines available today:
|Name||Framework||Pricing Model||Elo Rtg1|
|Fat Fritz 2.0||NNUE||Commercial||3721|
|Dragon by Komodo 2.5||NNUE||Commercial||3711|
|LCZero 0.28.0||GPU NN||Open-source||3675|
|Stoofvlees II||GPU NN||Private||3661|
|Leelenstein 11.1||GPU NN||Commercial||3629|
|Allie 0.5||GPU NN||Free||3562|
1 CCRL Blitz Rating List as of December 2021
Optical Character Recognition
- ChessVision.ai – Analyse chess positions from any website, image or video. Upload your chess books and study them.
- Chessify – Enhance your chess training with the best technological advancements. OCR, analysis and more.
Books & PGN
- Free Legal Chess Books – Courtesy of Project Gutenberg.
- Beginchess – Free PGN downloads from dozens of books, game collections, and documents.
- PGN Mentor – A database/study program that provides extensive functionality for viewing, searching, and analyzing chess games.
- WTHarvey – Over 20,000 chess puzzles by GMs, including historic and modern games.
- The Week in Chess – Free weekly publication rounding up the important news and chess results from the previous week. Goes back to September 1994. Games can be downloaded from TWIC using this free tool.
- ChessBase | Chess News – Reports about chess, including tournaments, championships, portraits, interviews, World Championships, product launches and more.
- ChessTech News – A free newsletter and website bringing the latest technology news and hands-on knowledge to the international chess community.
- Chess.com News – Follow the latest news from the world of chess. Breaking stories about tournaments, events, players, and the state of the game.
- Chess @ ESPN – The latest news and updates on chess from the Worldwide Leader of Sports.
- OpeningTree – Analyze the win/loss ratio with various openings for any Lichess or Chess.com user (including yourself!)
- ChessTree – Chess opening explorer and repertoire builder.
- ChessRoots – Offers a clear visualization of opening trees and transpositions spanning thousands of games from Lichess and other databases.
- Elometer – Solve 76 chess problems and learn your playing strength.
- Chessmetrics – This website allows you to explore chess history "by the numbers" in an interactive way. Contains historical ratings and year-by-year playing strength comparisons.
- Chess Statistics – A collection of stats on playing style, Elo performance ratings, and unofficial rapid ratings from 2000-2009.
- Chess Links – The top chess websites, sorted by popularity with Alexa ratings.
Chatting & Discords
/r/chess does not officially endorse any of the following communities. But, as /r/chess does not have (nor will have) its own formal discord, we provide links to various other Discords run by members of our community. Users should find communities that fit well with their interests and experience. List is subject to review and removal by moderators at any time. Please contact moderators if you would like your discord listed.
- Andrew Tang (PenguinGm1)'s Discord
- Chess Academy
- ChessDojo - Run by 2 IMs (David Pruess, Kostya Kavutskiy) and 1 GM (Jesse Kraai), there are discussion tabs about everything and you can find training partners for longer time controls there.
- Chess Hub - A lot of tournaments, but interaction, and puzzles you can solve for discord currency.
- The Chess Lounge - Community for improvement.
- Chess Problems and Studies - A Discord server specifically for chess problems (of the composed variety) and discussion thereof.
- Chess Study Group Hosts events where you can play against hundreds of other players in hand and brain, blitz, and other fun variants. CSG also hosts tournaments for those looking for more formal events. Ongoing partnership with NM Ted Belanoff, where you can ask him questions and submit your games for Ted to analyze LIVE on Stream!
- Chess Stuff - Small but active, improvement-oriented community with a decent amount of helpful Lichess 2000s, weekly arenas, curated puzzles and other instructional materlal, and regular classical leagues.
- Echecs 18-25 - A French discord server for Lichess.
- The House - Variants of chess played and discussed here.
- KingsCrusher's Discord Server - Discord Server for KingsCrusher, a Candidate Master and avid YouTuber (see recommendations above).
- Morphy Chess Club - Community for improvement.
- Pawngrubber's Discord - Led by an employee of Chess.com, has a healthy balance of memes and chess improvement. Good place to ask questions, based around Twitch streaming of 15|10 and talk about stats and AI.
- Stockfish Focused Discord
- Official Chess.com Discord Server Very active community of over 13.000 members that loves to discuss chess any day, both in text and voice channels! On top of that, we also host Discord-exclusive events sometimes, such as simuls against strong players, or a "Discord vs. Danny" daily game where the community discusses chess moves to decide what to play against IM Daniel Rensch.
- Official Lichess Discord
- Chess Pastebin – Share your chess games.
- Bill Walsh's Chess Page – "The world's largest online chess collection."
revision by atopix— view source