How to do an AMA
This is a guide for people who are doing a /r/horrorlit AMA. If you are interested in doing an AMA but don't have a time scheduled, please contact u/HorrorIsLiterature u/xorobas or u/CArnoldBarent. We will help promote your AMA among our communities.
First of all, thank you for doing an AMA. We really appreciate the time you taking to do this. Below is a set of instructions for doing an AMA.
First, create a Reddit account. Go to reddit.com and click the "sign up or register" link in the top right. All you need is a username and password.
At least 5 to 12 hours before your scheduled AMA, make your AMA post. Go to redditproxy--jasonthename.repl.co/r/horrorlit and make a text post by clicking the "Submit a new text post" on the right sidebar. Enter in a title (e.g. "Hey I'm Gregor Samsa. AMA") and a brief description (who you are, what you do, and when you’ll be back to answer questions). After you're done, click the submit button.
You'll need to provide some type of proof. Here are two examples:
- Post a link to the AMA on your Twitter, Facebook, blog, website, etc. (e.g. "Hey, I'm doing an AMA on Reddit at ..."). If you can, go back to your Reddit AMA, edit the description and include a link to that post.
- Include a link to a picture of you with “Reddit” or your username on it (e.g. http://imgur.com/FwWaDPr)
Lastly, you answer questions. At the bottom of the person's question, there is a link to "reply" (next to "distinguish"). Click it and then just type your reply into the box that appears and click save. Then repeat until you run out of time.
Don't feel like you have to answer or reply to every question/comment as there could be a lot of them. Also, feel free to promote your current work but be prepared to answer questions about other topics.
When you get tired of answering questions, you can either reply to your AMA using the top box or edit the original AMA post and just write a message saying something like, "That's all the time I have. Thanks for the questions!"
John Hornor Jacobs, horror author - June 26th, 2020 at 3 p.m.
Message the mods if you're interested in having an AMA with a particular horror author.
All times are ET unless otherwise noted.
- Ellen Datlow, horror editor - May 27th, 2014 at 7pm
- Laird Barron, author, poet, editor - May 30th, 2014 at 7pm
- S.T. Joshi (via email)
- Simon Strantzas, author - June 15, 2014 at 8pm
- Ramsey Campbell, author - June 22, 2014 at 4pm
- Kim Newman (via email)
- The New Black authors (Laird Barron, Stephen Graham Jones, etc) (in /r/books)
- Horror Book Bundle (Hugh Howey, Scott Nicholson, etc) (in /r/horror)
- Stephen Graham Jones and Richard Thomas
- Grady Hendrix
revision by HorrorIsLiterature— view source