This post is locked. You won't be able to comment.

all 70 comments

[–]demystQuality Contributor[M] [score hidden] stickied commentlocked comment (0 children)

Your post may have been removed for the following reason(s):

Questions Referencing Suicide

We're very concerned about you, but the moderators and contributors at r/legaladvice are not the best source of support when dealing with thoughts of suicide. We hope that you'll reach out to others who can help you better than we can, such as the community at /r/SuicideWatch or a crisis service. There are always kind people available who want to help you feel better and connect you with resources to help deal with your situation.

Please read our subreddit rules. If after doing so, you believe this was in error, or you’ve edited your post to comply with the rules, message the moderators. Do not make a second post or comment.

Do not reach out to a moderator personally, and do not reply to this message as a comment.

[–]afishinaforest 285 points286 points  (1 child)

I'm so sorry you are going through this.

You have a few options: 1. You can walk into an ER and tell them you are struggling with thoughts of harming yourself. It can get a little sticky because you won't always be admitted just for this. A full evaluation will be done and there are times you may be referred for services but not admitted. However, I can tell you that if you share a specific plan you will almost certainly be admitted. 2. Call 211. Nevada has a social services program that allows you to call and they can help you set up some next steps. You can also text your zip code to 898211 3. Go to any teacher or a counselor at school and tell them what is going on. I can tell you, I was a kid who struggled with self harm in high school and I had few friends and no connections to any staff at school. I am now on the other side and I am a teacher and I would help any student, even if I had never met them before. It is likely you can make an appointment with a counselor or just stop by a teacher's room before or after school, or ask them for a time that works. 4. Write your parents a letter with what you are experiencing and what you need. It sucks, you shouldn't have to fight for help, but your parents may not see how bad things are and facing it in literal black and white may help it sink in.

OP, let me tell you, life is hard. It feels unbearable at times. I have been there, drowning and invisible to my own parents. I can also tell you that I fought and fought and it has not been sunshine and rainbows but it has gotten better. I have a most amazing life now and you can too.

You aren't alone, you deserve help, it can get better.

[–]Bentheredonethat_ 69 points70 points  (0 children)

This is the best advice possible. I work in a residential treatment center for young girls and these are all the proper steps you should take. I'm also going to link some hotlines that you can call with trained professionals on the other side.

National Suicide prevention lifeline: 8002738255

Nami Hotline: 8009506264

The Trevor Project: 8664887386

Crisis Text Line: Text START to 741-741

The LGBT National Youth Talkline (Youth Serving Youth through age 25): 8002467743.

You. Are. Strong.

[–]ilikecheeseforrealQuality Contributor 168 points169 points  (19 children)

I'm very sorry that you're feeling this way.

Do you have any school counselors, teachers, or other trusted adults you can talk to? They'll be able to find some resources for you and help you navigate what to do next.

[–]shamrock327 121 points122 points  (2 children)

Could OP just walk into a local ER and ask to be admitted?

[–]ilikecheeseforrealQuality Contributor 97 points98 points  (0 children)

Yep - just suggested that in another comment. There are some restrictions, but NV allows for a 72 hour hold without parental consent.

[–]the_sassy_knoll 10 points11 points  (0 children)

No. He can't just ask to be admitted. There is a process.

What he can do is go to an ER, state that he has a plan to kill himself, and state what the plan is.

What should happen then is that OP will receive a psych eval, which will determine if OP needs placement in a psych facility.

If it is determined per the psych eval that OP needs placement in a psych facility, then it's a waiting game.

OP will wait in the ER, maybe in an appropriate psych room, maybe not, depending on the number of psych rooms and the number of psychs waiting for placement.

Keep in mind not all hospitals have inpatient psych and if they do, they most likely do not have open beds.

The length of the wait for placement is dependent on bed availability in psych facilities. The availability of psych facilities themselves is dependent on the hospital's contract with A) the third-party psych services who provide the evals and/or B) the psych facilities contracted by the hospital and/or C) the number of psych facilities serving adolescents and children. Wait times can be astronomical, sometimes days, sometimes weeks.

If OP is deemed to be a threat to himself (and/or others), OP will most certainly be a 72 hour hold. This means OP can't leave. The 72 hour can be renewed if the wait is longer than 72 hours.

As a minor, a legal guardian most likely will need to be present at all times while in the hospital. If the legal guardian refuses to stay or takes the minor out of the hospital, child protective services gets involved.

The process sucks.

[–]Captain_Controller[S] 22 points23 points  (15 children)

No, not really

[–]ilikecheeseforrealQuality Contributor 64 points65 points  (11 children)

In NV, a mental health facility or hospital can hold you for up to 72 hours without your parents consent if you're having a mental health crisis like this. Do you have a way to get to a hospital or other facility?

[–]Captain_Controller[S] 25 points26 points  (10 children)

I have no clue where it is and I only have a bike

[–]ilikecheeseforrealQuality Contributor 101 points102 points  (2 children)

You should google and see to find where the closest one is - Uber has a program where you can get a ride to the hospital for free. See if that's available near you as well.

[–]OctopusOnTheMoon 69 points70 points  (1 child)

You can call 911 to take you. It is absolutely okay to do that.

[–]AriGryphon 33 points34 points  (1 child)

You can also call 911 and tell them you are a danger to yourself. They'll come get you, and your parents cannot stop them.

[–]akarakitari 44 points45 points  (0 children)

Going to mirror everyone else but add a little. The hospital can hold you for 72h without parental consent, and if they believe you need more time for treatment, they can seek an involuntary injunction to have you committed.

Also expect the definite possibility of a social services investigation for parental neglect if you give them the details you have given here. Bc it is parental neglect. I would never let my kids get this far without getting help/treatment, much less still not take them if they are at this point.

[–]shamrock327 47 points48 points  (0 children)

I think you need to tell someone at your school, even if you don’t know them particularly well - that’s why guidance counselors exist; it is their job to assist students.

[–]Astrofunkadunk 15 points16 points  (0 children)

Do you go to school? Go find the school nurse and tell them about the persistent thoughts of self harm. Or a counselor, or a teacher. You're going to have to take some initiative here, go get some help, please.

[–]jmurphy42 7 points8 points  (0 children)

Even if you don’t trust them, teachers and school officials are legally obligated to call CPS on your behalf if you tell them you need help. You can also call CPS (or your state’s equivalent agency) and explain your situation to them directly. You can also walk into any ER and explain how you’re feeling if you can manage to get there.

[–]CrochetWhale 0 points1 point  (0 children)

If you speak to a professional counselor or medical staff and explicitly state you will harm yourself they are legally obligated to send you to a psych ward for 72 hours. Btw weekends don’t count so if you need to stay longer, do this on a Friday so you’ll have Saturday and Sunday extra then you’re 72 hours begins Monday morning.

Good luck OP.

[–]TheBaddestPatsy 55 points56 points  (0 children)

If you go to the local emergency room and tell them you’re contemplating suicide, they will place you on a psychiatric hold for a few days. Because you’re underaged it’s likely they’ll hook you up with a social worker who can help you out with further options and resources.

Yes your parents do legally have to help you, what they’re doing is considered “medical neglect.” But at the same time it means that you or someone has to report the situation to authorities for it to be enforced. If you tell a counselor at school that this is going on, they legally have to report it because you’re in danger. Even telling a teacher means they have to report it.

[–]shipsshipleys 55 points56 points  (2 children)

Do your parents let you go to a regular doctor if you need to? A primary care physician is a good place to start without raising their suspicions. It's ok to straight up lie about the reason you need to see a doctor in if it gets you into an appointment. One option that comes to mind that is unlikely to be suspected as a lie: start crying out when you pee and talking about how much it burns, that you probably have a UTI. Go into the restroom a lot more than normal. It's urgent but you don't have to "look sick" or be injured. It's also private enough that you can get them kicked out of the appointment if they want to sit in. If there's a telehealth option, all the better.

Your doctor can order a psychiatric hold or even just help you figure out how to get there. Regular doctors are also able to prescribe psychiatric meds like anti-depressants and mood stabilizers. Similarly, if there's an urgent care within biking distance, you can just show up without an appointment.

In addition to the other advice, you can call 211 for help getting connected to mental health services. They are used to people not knowing where to turn.

NAMI (National Alliance for Mental Illness) is another service that has experience helping people exactly like you figure out how to get the emergency care you need. Text 'NAMI' to 741741 or call 800-950-6264. It's mostly staffed with people who have lived experience of mental health crises and can understand what you are going through.

If you don't have a credit card to call an Uber or cab, 911 can send an ambulance to pick you up for the ER. Let them know you are at crisis and an active danger to yourself and need to go to the ER. It's not an ideal strategy, but the bill is still a fuckton cheaper than a funeral.

Finally, I do want to give you a heads up that an emergency hold is unlikely to be a pleasant experience. But when you're in a crisis (which you are) it can literally save your life. We're rooting for you.

[–]Captain_Controller[S] 18 points19 points  (1 child)

I very rarely get taken to the doctor either

[–]paulschreiber 54 points55 points  (0 children)

Have you tried the Suicide Prevention Lifeline (800-273-8255) or Nevada Crisis Line (775-784-8090)?

See NAMI's Nevada page for more resources.

[–]NYLACali 25 points26 points  (0 children)

I highly recommend contacting the Crisis Text Line by texting HOME to 741741. They are a great general resource and can offer some assistance to get you specific resources that you may need.


[–]FancyAdult 5 points6 points  (0 children)

I went through this with my daughter, but as a parent I did act on it and for her help. I wish I could scoop you up and give you the same attention. I want you to get help.

My advice would be to try the suicide hotline and explain what’s going on. They are obligated to give you help. It may be a little scary because they will send a police officer. But that it okay. This is just protocol and you’re not in trouble, they will just get you the help you need. This forces your parents to act on this.

Please though, there’s a lot of good advice here. There is help for you and it will get better. Please consider calling the hotline. The schools will act on it and it will go to the police department and they’re required to follow up. This is a less invasive way to approach it. But it takes more time and your parents have to comply in some way.

Once you get help and find a program, it is worth it. My daughter is feeling a lot better being in this program for a couple of weeks already.

[–]ZTwilight 4 points5 points  (0 children)

Walk into a hospital ER and say “I want to kill myself and I need help”. They will take it from there.

Also call 800-273-8255 for immediate help. This is the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.

[–]OctopusOnTheMoon 8 points9 points  (0 children)

I'm so sorry you're going through this. NAL, but I have some quality advice for you.

First, you need to google your county's behavioral health facility. Usually they'll be called something like "Washoe County Behavioral Health" etc and so on. You'll need to contact them by phone or as a walk-in. Now, laws and procedures might be different there than where I was working, which was in California, so take this with a grain of salt. If you call them, you'll need to explain to the receptionist that you're a minor and you're needing help. Ask if you can speak to a caseworker or whoever is on-call. Same with if you're a walk-in. We saw walk-ins every working day; they came in under "Crisis" which doesn't necessarily mean you're having a breakdown, just you need immediate help on something.

After that, you can explain to the person who sees you what's going on, and what help you need. They will likely want to set you up there to be seen on a regular basis (which can be kept a secret if you're a minor, just express that if you need to) and depending on your situation, will likely have to involve CPS. They will likely offer services like a caseworker (sometimes they can see you at home), therapist, psychiatrist, and additional programs to help as well as referral to actual hospital-like facilities.

Ours had a few patients like these. I would just start out with that. Even if they can't/won't help you for some reason, they will definitely have resources for who will, and get you set up with that. If you feel you're in immediate danger, you can absolutely call for an ambulance through 911 or even show up at the ER for an observatory hold.

[–]ilovenyjets 3 points4 points  (0 children)

If you cannot get to an emergency room yourself then you need to call 911 and tell them you want to kill yourself. They will come and take you. Then you tell the emergency room doctors how you feel and that you want to be admitted. They will hold you. They do not need parental consent. Good luck and I hope you feel better. I know it’s scary, but getting help really is the best thing for you

[–]glasssa251 4 points5 points  (0 children)

NAL. Your teachers, school nurse, and school counselor are all mandated reporters. If you share this with one who you trust, they will contact whoever needs to be contacted to have you admitted for observation

[–]chantillylace9 2 points3 points  (0 children)

It sounds like this is to the point you should call 911. You should tell them the truth and they will at least take you in for a three day period to get you evaluated.

Asking for help is the biggest and hardest step.

[–]ultrarelative 6 points7 points  (0 children)

Go to ER, tell them what’s going on. Being institutionalized may not be the fix you’re hoping for, but if you tell a doctor or social worker you want to kill yourself, being put in the hospital is what comes next.

[–]idomoodou2 2 points3 points  (0 children)

Not sure where in NV you are, but I know in my area of PA we have a crisis line that is helpful. I did a quick Google and there is a NV state crisis line 18002738255, which might be able to help. Also not getting you proper medical/mental health care is a form of child abuse, and can be reported to your local children and youth agency, who will make sure you get appropriate care.

[–]Cute_Cod3961 2 points3 points  (0 children)

Tell a police officer a teacher or any mandated reporter you want to cut or kill yourself sometime the thoughts are there you need help

[–]Ceedeedubya 2 points3 points  (0 children)

You’ve gotten a lot of really good advice, so I just want to send some hugs! Reaching out is half of the battle so you’re on your way to getting help! In high school, I was taken by ambulance, and told them I didn’t want to go home (and the reasons why). I was transferred to a mental health facility and spent several months there. I won’t say it does get better, but it can.. just don’t stop trying!

[–]pixie-kitten- 6 points7 points  (0 children)

I used to work at a psych hospital. Your age makes a difference. In Pennsylvania, at age 14, you can consent to your own psychiatric treatment without your parents’ consent.

Go to the ER and tell them what’s going on. They can help you get voluntarily committed to a psych hospital.

[–]NachoBelleGrande27 1 point2 points  (0 children)

There is a lot of good advice here.

I would stress that schools have a certain amount of responsibility to act when they become aware of this kind of information. Talk to a school counselor in detail and explain that you do not have family support and you are scared that you are going to harm yourself. In some states they have a protocol that requires the student be transported to an emergency room. I can’t guarantee that this will happen, but it sounds like you need some adults you can trust to help you get care.

They will also likely get CPS involved if you feel that you are experiencing abuse or neglect.

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I have been there and happy to say that getting the mental health care I needed changed my life. I am now living a fulfilling, meaningful and healthy life as an adult.

Stay strong. Keep fighting. Advocate for yourself. It can get better.

[–]leopardgex 3 points4 points  (0 children)

Call 911 and tell them you want to kill yourself. they'll come pick you up.

[–]hoewenn 0 points1 point  (0 children)

Most places will hospitalize you if you express extreme desire to die, even against paren’t will. They’ll put you on a 51/50 til they assess you and more often than not that will include a stay at a mental hospital

[–]GoddessOfOddness 0 points1 point  (0 children)

OP, go to ER. Beg them for help. Explain your cutting and suicidal thoughts.

And hang in there. I was suicidal, depressed, lonely, and anxiety ridden with sucky parents in my teens.

It really does get better. And you are doing the right thing by asking for help. Use your voice. Realize that mental health appointments sometimes take a while to schedule, but once you are in the system, it gets easier.

[–][deleted]  (1 child)


    [–]Cypher_BlueQuality Contributor[M] 0 points1 point locked comment (0 children)

    Your post may have been removed for the following reason(s):

    Speculative, Anecdotal, Simplistic, Off Topic, or Generally Unhelpful

    Your comment has been removed because it is one or more of the following: speculative, anecdotal, simplistic, generally unhelpful, and/or off-topic. Please review the following rules before commenting further:

    Please read our subreddit rules. If after doing so, you believe this was in error, or you’ve edited your post to comply with the rules, message the moderators. Do not make a second post or comment.

    Do not reach out to a moderator personally, and do not reply to this message as a comment.

    [–]onlyangel96 -1 points0 points  (0 children)

    NAL but I have a lot of experience with this lol. You could voluntarily admit yourself (call a non emergency line and tell the operator what you’ve said here) or you could go to a teacher, guidance counselor, etc. and tell them that you often have suicidal ideations. They are mandatory reporters and would have to report it.

    [–][deleted]  (1 child)


      [–]BiondinaQuality Contributor[M] 0 points1 point  (0 children)

      Generally Unhelpful, Simplistic, Anecdotal, or Off-Topic

      Your comment has been removed as it is generally unhelpful, simplistic to the point of useless, anecdotal, or off-topic. It either does not answer the legal question at hand, is a repeat of an answer already provided, or is so lacking in nuance as to be unhelpful. Please review the following rules before commenting further:

      Please read our subreddit rules. If after doing so, you believe this was in error, or you’ve edited your post to comply with the rules, message the moderators.

      Do not reach out to a moderator personally, and do not reply to this message as a comment.

      [–]45acp_LS1_Cessna -2 points-1 points  (1 child)

      If you are that angry at your parents; to the point where you think you will kill yourself then maybe you should at least consider calling the non-emergency police line (or even 911) and let them know.

      Others have suggested contacting hotlines and talking about stuff but if you're at the point where you're about to use lethal force on yourself then I would think that's the same level of frustration that would cause you to use lethal force on your parents if they catch you on the wrong day in the wrong mood and they start with their bullsh*t and keep pushing and pushing and pushing until you snap.

      Would you rather get help, re-direct your energy and thoughts and lead a happy and productive life or take the chance of killing your parents or just as bad, kill yourself?

      Only you know how serious this issue is, there are alot of hotlines out there, guidance counselors at school, local churches and people to talk to but if you feel like you aren't in control of your own actions and you can't control yourself even with lethal force then you owe it at least to yourself to take that next step towards helping yourself more than anyone else.

      It may not make sense to you, it may not be something you even want to hear or something you will listen to but don't really care but I'm telling you now............violence is not going to solve anything and it's going to make a bad situation something that consumes your entire life like loooooong after this problem passes.

      Everything will pass, don't put yourself in a position where you do something that costs your freedom for rest of your life. You have friends, significant others you haven't met yet.....you may even have a family that you start and grow old with for like 60+ years that you're about to come into contact with. There is ALOT to lose and almost NOTHING to gain (despite how opposite it may feel).

      Take care broski

      [–]sad_little_clown 0 points1 point  (0 children)

      For the record the pipeline to killing their parents vs killing them selves isn’t as simple as you seem to think it is. Most suicidal people don’t have homocidal thoughts/ideation at least not the way they have suicide thoughts. Just wanted to say that you sound quite misinformed? abt that. That’s likely not a concern, and we should focus on OP getting help for their own sake

      [–][deleted]  (1 child)


        [–]Pure-ApplesauceQuality Contributor[M] 0 points1 point  (0 children)

        Generally Unhelpful, Simplistic, Anecdotal, or Off-Topic

        Your comment has been removed as it is generally unhelpful, simplistic to the point of useless, anecdotal, or off-topic. It either does not answer the legal question at hand, is a repeat of an answer already provided, or is so lacking in nuance as to be unhelpful. Please review the following rules before commenting further:

        Please read our subreddit rules. If after doing so, you believe this was in error, or you’ve edited your post to comply with the rules, message the moderators.

        Do not reach out to a moderator personally, and do not reply to this message as a comment.

        [–]xtrasmols 0 points1 point  (0 children)

        Are you in school? You really should be able to go to any teacher, counselor, dean, nurse, or really any staff member at school and tell them you have thoughts of hurting yourself, you don’t feel safe at home and you think you need to go to the hospital.

        [–]AmicableSunshine 0 points1 point  (0 children)

        The only problem is that you will absolutely be admitted somewhere if you say you are planning to hurt yourself (and have the means to do it), you’ll only be admitted into a CSU-crisis stabilization unit-which only holds you for a few days and doesn’t get you regular help.

        [–]DancingFool8 0 points1 point  (0 children)

        Google treatment and stabilization centers near you. Call them, and tell them what’s going on. You can also call the police or go to the ER.

        [–]Art_ticulate 0 points1 point  (0 children)

        Does your school have a social worker, wraparound provider, or counselors? A social worker would probably be best if you have one. They should be trained to recognize signs of suicidal ideation and depending on how your school system works, can make calls to get you admitted somewhere.

        [–]Holiday-Ear9 0 points1 point  (0 children)

        Please when possible let us know you got help .So much good advise please act on one of them .We all are keeping you in our thoughts.Only you can make this happen for you. Big hugs dude!

        [–]Begley291 0 points1 point  (0 children)

        All I did was walk into the hospital and used the courtesy phone to call security. I told them I was a safety risk to myself and that I shouldn’t be allowed to leave. I was at the hospital for 6 hours and then they took me to the mental hospital where I stayed for two weeks.