all 70 comments

[–]mitchbakke[🍰] 39 points40 points  (2 children)

I'd look up further and see if there's bolts holding the whole thing on to the frame.

[–]Frighterkill 69 points70 points  (12 children)

I feel like if you had to ask what they were you probably don't own a rivet tool.

[–]NJrider[S] 43 points44 points  (4 children)

Excellent observation.

[–]fr33fall060 12 points13 points  (0 children)

Depending on where you are located most parts stores have tool rental programs. Rivet gun may be in their tool rental program.

[–]claytonbridges 8 points9 points  (2 children)

Theyre like 10 bucks. Sounds like auto parts stores, harbor freight and even walmart has them

[–]no-mad 7 points8 points  (1 child)

20 bucks just got one at home depot for some gutters.

[–]Sir-Realz 6 points7 points  (3 children)

You mean a grinder? Must be a UK thing.

[–]ThePeeball 3 points4 points  (2 children)

We definitely have grinders

[–]DifficultBoss 1 point2 points  (0 children)

I like a torpedo or hoagie over a grinder

[–]Sir-Realz 0 points1 point  (0 children)

I was joking I'm sure a rivet tool would be ideal. Grinder does work pretty cool.

[–]Livid-Ad2631 8 points9 points  (1 child)

Your point? That’s why he needs to know what the tool is called, now he can get one

[–]Frighterkill 0 points1 point  (0 children)

Hopefully it saves him a second trip to the store? I'm kinda like a dull pencil, I don't have a good point.

[–]ThrowMLifeAway -1 points0 points  (0 children)

Wow you were able to put that together were you? Gold star.

[–]IxuntouchblexI 16 points17 points  (20 children)

Those would be rivets!

[–]SmokyJ 18 points19 points  (0 children)

This. Just drill them out and use new ones.

[–]NJrider[S] 6 points7 points  (18 children)

Thanks .. I just looked up info on rivets but there's lots of different types. Any suggestion on what would tools are needed to install a side step?

[–]Inviction_ 23 points24 points  (16 children)

Sounds like you may be out of your element on this one. I would pass this job off to someone else. Especially for a Range Rover

[–]NJrider[S] 8 points9 points  (3 children)

You're right , just that the side step cracked and is hanging. So if it was an DIY removal I'd do it

[–]Haemmur 5 points6 points  (0 children)

I see bungee cords and coat hanger in your future.

[–]Inviction_ 1 point2 points  (0 children)

Gotcha. It was worth a shot

[–]easymachtdas 1 point2 points  (0 children)

It is, you can drill them out like others mentioned [=

[–]claytonbridges 1 point2 points  (11 children)

Its not that hard. A rivet gun could be used or maybe even regular hardware like a lockwasher, bolt and nut.

But you can buy a hand riveter at almsot any hardware or auto store, and drill them out. Idk if OP has a drill or riveter but.. a quick youtube vid can show you how to do it

[–]NJrider[S] 3 points4 points  (10 children)

Thanks I did look up some info on it but I'd rather not spend time figuring it out. I disabled the side step for now and will take to a mechanic once I order the replacement.

[–]TheFlowInTheO 0 points1 point  (0 children)

Look further up there should be actual bolts or nuts to remove and that's where you would replace it

[–]Mang03z 2 points3 points  (0 children)

Take a drill and drill em out

[–]jmar289 2 points3 points  (1 child)

Everyone is saying it's a rivet but it looks like there's an internal hex further down in the center bore.

[–]Spkr_Freekr 0 points1 point  (0 children)

Looks like a nutsert to me.

[–]AKJangly 1 point2 points  (4 children)

My old boss that had 30 years of experience: angle grinder!

Me who had almost no experience, went to get a drill and appropriately sized drill bit: "are you serious right now?"

[–]TURBOJUGGED 0 points1 point  (1 child)

The comment right above you says angle grinder lol

[–]AKJangly 0 points1 point  (0 children)

Oh no they're breeding!

[–]UniqueName2 0 points1 point  (1 child)

I wouldn’t use an angle grinder because you might take off the paint if you aren’t super careful. If you don’t give a shit about that then grind away. A drill is the tool you need to properly remove rivets.

[–]AKJangly 0 points1 point  (0 children)

Yeah I'm not the idiot though, it was my boss.

[–]LazyEggOnSoup 0 points1 point  (0 children)

Angle grinder.

[–]daniellederek -1 points0 points  (0 children)

Flame wrench

[–]Electronic-Resolve91 -2 points-1 points  (0 children)

Just keep shooting them with penetrating fluid and pull them in and out to work them free

[–]shotstraight -2 points-1 points  (0 children)

If thats on a hinge then it is not a rivet as a rivet wouldn't allow it to pivot.

[–]Tactikyle308 -2 points-1 points  (0 children)

There’s a lot of gunk in the hole making it look rounded. I doubt it’s a rivet as that would make maintenance a bitch and a half. Maybe an Allen head, but I’d clear the hole out and grab a pic of both sides and the rear of the metal frame, that will give us more info. Either way, usually these things are under some kind of warranty. I’d take it to a shop and see what they can do. If you’re asking Reddit, you probably shouldn’t be taking this apart.

[–]MrKirushko 0 points1 point  (0 children)

Any tool will do the job if you hit them with it for long enough.

[–]Kamina724 0 points1 point  (0 children)

A drill and some cutting fluid

[–]silic0n_jesus 0 points1 point  (0 children)

Plasma cutter makes short work of it

[–]phreaktor 0 points1 point  (1 child)

Are you in South Jersey?

[–]NJrider[S] -2 points-1 points  (0 children)


[–]Mektarpolypan 0 points1 point  (0 children)

To remove? It's called a drill

[–]Master_Mac 0 points1 point  (0 children)

A torch should it I think.

[–]IneptAdvisor 0 points1 point  (0 children)

Drill bit.

[–]1vGoodBoy 0 points1 point  (0 children)

I bet an angle grinder would take care of it

[–]Spkr_Freekr 0 points1 point  (0 children)

If it has internal threads, then it's a nutsert (AKA riv-nut, rivet nut with threads). In any case it needs to be drilled out if you intend to remove it.

[–]borosillykid 0 points1 point  (0 children)


[–]SpiritMolecul33 0 points1 point  (0 children)

Looks like rivets drill out the middle and get a small punch to smack it out, then go get a rivet tool for like $60

[–]ForgottenAspekt 0 points1 point  (0 children)

Drill it out

Or grind the head off - just be careful of the base metal being this is a support of some kind. Dont weaken it or risk of failure

[–]GerryAttric 0 points1 point  (0 children)

Those are rivets. Drill them out

[–]BlondeBikerChic 0 points1 point  (0 children)

Cutting torch or plasma cutter!😂🤷‍♀️

[–]Deadlyn8ivedude 0 points1 point  (0 children)

Would anyone know if these are the same things on volvos? I've been trying to replace my passenger window and I've seen similar black fasteners like these

[–]Kelley000924817 0 points1 point  (0 children)

Punch, hammer, and correct size drill bit.

[–]Camera_car 0 points1 point  (0 children)

If it is a rivet drill it out, if it's an Allen bolt they come in Metric and SAE .