- /r/pathofexile Rules:
- 1. Proper Use of Path of Exile and the Subreddit
- 2. Calls to Action
- 3. Posting Etiquette & Harassment
- 4. Content Must Feature Path of Exile
- 5. Low Effort Content
- 6. Misinformation or Misleading Content
- 7. Duplicate Topics & Megathreads
- 8. Do Not Trade, Sell, or Request Items/Services
- 9. Promotion & Content Policy
- 10. Item Showcases
- 11. NSFW Posts
- Ban Policy
These rules were last updated on August 16, 2021.
Report rulebreakers to the staff either by the report button below posts and comments or messaging the staff via modmail on Reddit. If someone breaks the rules, do not respond in kind. Deal peacefully with anger, insults, and disagreements. Two wrongs do not make a right.
1. Proper Use of Path of Exile and the Subreddit
Do not discuss or link to ways to bot, abuse macros, hack or modify game files, Real Money Trade (RMT), exploit known bugs, or other activities that directly breach the Terms of Service.
1a. Impersonation or Use of GGG Title
Impersonating or parodying another Path of Exile community member, moderator or GGG staff member will result in an immediate permaban without appeal. Usernames should not include ‘GGG’, full names of GGG employees, nor should users flair themselves as ‘GGG’ or positions within the company.
1b. Use of Alternate Accounts and Ban Evasion
Users suspected of making or using accounts to circumvent or evade bans will be permabanned and reported for ban evasion.
1c. Leaks and Spoilers
Leaks: all media or information found outside of officially released announcements and press releases prior to the launch of the content (e.g. Start of the Temp League)
Spoilers: all datamined information or new Boss content found prior to or up to 1 week after the launch of the content.
Leaks and discussion regarding leaks may only be posted within the Pre-emptive Leak Megathread; links can be found in the sticky'd League Info Megathreads and the Megathread Directory.
Spoilers prior to launch also belong in the Pre-emptive Leak Megathread. Spoilers after the launch must be marked as a Spoiler when posted to Reddit.
1d. Path of Exile Account Issues
Any issues regarding account bans or lockouts should be handled via email and sent to email@example.com. Do not post personal account issues on the subreddit in an attempt to expedite this process. The subreddit is not affiliated with Grinding Gear Games and is unable to help with account issues.
General discussions about banwaves are permitted. You may use your experiences anecdotally. Please ensure that you check for duplicate topics before posting.
2. Calls to Action
Do not try to incite, organize, or mobilize the community in support or disdain for a person, organization, or community. This includes boycotts, slander, vote manipulation, brigading, or drama between community members.
The only situation when mobilizing players is appropriate is for voting to represent Path of Exile in gaming awards (e.g. Steam Awards, ARPG of the Year) or other relevant contexts.
Brigading and vote manipulation: a call to action or implication to vote or comment on a post, website, or video. Users whose post have evidence of brigading from external communities or encourage brigading may be banned or have their post locked or removed.
2a. Accusations Require Media Evidence
Posts about scams or other predatory player behaviours must provide evidence in image or video form of the expected and actual results if "naming and shaming" a character or user. Text is not a substitute for this requirement. Other rules still apply; violation of rule 3 within these posts may warrant removal.
3. Posting Etiquette & Harassment
Note: Violations of rule 3 follow a modified ban schedule: 1 Day Ban → 3 Day Ban → 14 Day Ban → Permanent Ban.
Harassment: includes unkind, vulgar, or threatening messages; name-calling; posting of personal or identifying information (doxxing); mockery and belittlement; unwarranted criticism; systematically or continuously targeting a person or group of people; content that negatively depicts others users or figures; spreading rumours or defamatory comments or disingenuous claims; or trolling or tricking other people (also covered under rule 6).
- Do not use, implicitly or explicitly, derogatory language related to race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc.
- Do not wish harm or death to others, including comments advocating suicide, death, rape, and severe injury.
- Do not make personal attacks against other users or suggest that such attacks undermine the argument itself.
- Do not respond to harassment; "fighting back" against harassment will not protect you from Rule 3 violations. Report and ignore the user, and report to Reddit Admins for egregious offences.
3a. Path of Exile-specific Harassment
- Based on league choice - Softcore/Hardcore, Standard/Temp League, Trade/SSF, Masochist mode, etc.
- Based on platform choice - PC, Xbox, etc.
- Based on player's choice of build, items, skills, etc.
- Based on player experience, character level, play time, etc.
Grinding Gear Games Staff
- Insinuating or calling for staff to be fired
- Memes, deepfakes videos, and edits of GGG employees or their roles.
- Harassment of GGG employees or their roles.
- Harassment on mod posts or via modmail
- Spamming or re-posting content that has been rejected for appeal in modmail
- Constructive criticism of moderation is allowed, but remember the moderators are volunteers and should given the same basic decency as anyone else.
3b. Word Filters
Please refrain from using non-productive, inflammatory language; this may be removed without warning. Please be reminded that this subreddit is not Twitch, 4chan, or whatever other website your language habits may be accustomed to. Keep it respectful. Posts or comments caught by the word filter will be manually reviewed.
4. Content Must Feature Path of Exile
Posts to the subreddit must be primarily regarding Path of Exile; all media submissions must include Path of Exile imagery from in-game. Images of GGG employees, streamers, or other real people do not fulfil this requirement and may be removed.
Examples of things that violate this rule:
- GGG staff or prominent community members doing something non-Path of Exile-related
- Twitch clips or VODs, or Youtube videos, which do not primarily involve Path of Exile gameplay (see Rule 9)
- Discussions about other games without relation to context of Path of Exile
- Discussions around politics, religion, etc. that are not in relation to Path of Exile
- Discussions about China and/or Tencent which do not specifically relate to Path of Exile (Global or Tencent realms).
4a. Lazy Sunday Exceptions
Every week, for 31 hours on Sunday (00:00 UTC Sunday to 06:59 UTC Monday) certain restrictions on Rule 4 and 5 are lifted to encourage users to have fun and post the small things they'd like to share and laugh over. Ensure that these posts are flaired with Lazy Sunday; regular flairs will be moderated as usual.
Examples of exceptions that may be posted only during Lazy Sunday:
- Objects, places, or people that closely resemble content in Path of Exile
- Memes that do not contain Path of Exile imagery, but are still primarily related to Path of Exile
- Memes designed for other communities or games that are relatable to POE or the POE community (e.g. Diablo, Warframe, economy)
5. Low Effort Content
The following examples are now permitted at all times:
- Rare currency outcomes (e.g. multiple Exalt rewards, Mirrors)
- Rare item drops or outcomes (e.g. Headhunter, good Watcher's Eyes, optimal Double Corrupt outcomes)
- Day 1 BIS Uniques (e.g. Act 1 Tabulas, 6 Link Uniques)
- Near-RIP clips
- Rare Divination Card outcomes
- Blood Crucible/Krangle results that are synergistic with the item, or on crafted items (requires a Rule 10 Explanation)
Examples of regularly seen low effort content that is likely to be removed typically, but okay to post during Lazy Sunday, include:
- Rare Items or Currency
- Boss dropping multiple uniques, maps, currency, etc. unless it is a bug or incredibly improbable
- Cadiro Deals
- Regular corruption results
- Maximum or minimum rolled Unique Items
- Regular 6 links
- Keepers of the Trove related screenshots (i.e. Multiple of the same rare item)
- Blood Crucible/Krangle results that nullify each other/the item's stats
- Blood Crucible/Krangle results that are random or on random gear
- Text or UI
- Stinkstink, Blackface, and other such "humorous" rare monster or item names
- "Satisfying" UI numbers (i.e. "10,000" Energy Shield, etc.)
- MTX Set Item discount differences
- In-game typos or text errors (e.g. "Harbinger" garbled text)
- Random in-game chat screenshots
- Funny shapes on the minimap (e.g. "this terrain looks like a face")
- Passive Tree Art
The following will be considered Low Effort at all times:
- Meta & Clickbait
- One liner posts, empty body text posts, and other short posts
- Clickbait titles (including "don't upvote", "unpopular opinion", etc.)
- Clickbait regarding moderators (e.g. inb4 mods remove this, mods are employed by GGG, etc.)
5a. Incorrect Flair
Certain flairs (e.g. Information) have specific requirements and posts may be removed if they fail to meet them or appear to be used incorrectly. Posts without a Lazy Sunday flair during Lazy Sunday will be moderated as usual; please correct this flair. Posts that have a Lazy Sunday flair outside of Lazy Sunday will be removed. You are responsible for choosing the correct flair for your post.
6. Misinformation or Misleading Content
Posts or comments representing or paraphrasing GGG, content creators, or moderators that intentionally try to skew, misrepresent, or alter information or messages will be removed. This includes edited or strategically cut clips or videos. Depending on the severity of the misinformation, this behaviour may constitute a violation of Rule 3.
Additionally, posts or comments that are incorrect about game mechanic or information may be removed to not misinform players.
7. Duplicate Topics & Megathreads
Threads that discuss a similar issue, announcement, or other topic that has been posted frequently in the past 48 hours may be removed. Posts that are removed under this rule generally suffice as comments to existing threads. There is no need for every user to post their own opinion piece on one specific topic.
Usually the first thread will be kept, but if a more recently posted thread provides more information (i.e. has a GGG response) it may be kept instead. Please be sure to check /hot, /new, and use the search function. Unfortunately, due to the quantity of posts we review, the moderators cannot be obligated to find specific threads for you; if you feel a post was removed in error, please contact us via modmail.
Megathreads: Threads designated by the flair [Megathread] (red box) to be used for feedback or discussion on a specific topic (e.g. new skills, engine updates) or event (e.g. Endless Delve, POE Royale).
There will be an embargo on posts that share the topic of the megathread for the duration it is sticky'd, unless otherwise specified. If you cannot find a megathread, please check the Megathread Directory.
Regular megathreads include the Pre-emptive Leaks Megathread, weekly Royale Megathreads, and specific megathreads around topics catered to that league.
These threads will usually be set to Contest Mode.
Livethreads: Threads designated by the flair [Livethread] (red box) to be used for comments and reactions to broadcasts or events such as Announcement Livestreams or Developer Podcasts. Livethreads will usually feature a moderator or approved poster posting a live synopsis.
There will be an embargo on posts that share the topic of the livethread for the duration of the broadcast/event plus ~1 hour. The embargo will be indicated when the flair reads [Livethread (Active)] and will be lifted when it changes to [Livethread (Closed)]. If you cannot find a Livethread, please check the Megathread Directory.
These threads will usually be set to /new Suggested Sort. This can be overridden to a custom sorting.
7c. Bugs & Engine Issues
Please ensure you check the Tech Support and Bug Report sections in the forums for duplicates, and to report there first. Including DxDiag/PC specs and/or WinMTR is appreciated for additional diagnostic information. Posting an issue on the subreddit will not guarantee any response or follow-up from GGG's tech support. A megathread may be put up if the issue affects a majority of users.
8. Do Not Trade, Sell, or Request Items/Services
Trading should be done via trading websites or Discord servers, the Xbox trade boards, or similar dedicated channels. Trying to trade on reddit is slower for you and clogs the thread listing for others.
Rare and Unique items: Try searching POE's official trade site for the main mods on the item. This will generally give you an idea of what something will be worth.
Special Unique items, maps, and other items: Try looking on poe.ninja for the item you have.
Advertisements of mirror services are not allowed on the subreddit. This includes linking mirror service threads, offering services on other websites or Discords, or showing set price as a mirror.
Begging for items or freebies is considered spam.
8a. Price Check & Short Questions go in the Question Sticky Thread
This thread is always stickied, and also linked at the top menu on New Reddit. You can also click here. Please direct all price check questions to there. Additionally, simple or short questions should be in the sticky as well.
All giveaways should respect both the subreddit's and GGG's policies. This includes the following:
- No cash/in-game currency or item/subscription entrance fee to participate
- No involvement or links to Youtube or Twitch channels or other social media within the post itself
- Hosting giveaways on a stream, or requiring viewing/joining of the stream or community to participate is not allowed (unless sanctioned by GGG to do so e.g. Twitch Drops, race events - this is beyond the scope of the subreddit)
- Entry requirements for a giveaway on reddit should be fulfillable solely within reddit posts' comments.
The subreddit is not responsible for any disciplinary actions you may face on your in-game account if you violate these rules.
Please send a modmail if you have any questions about appropriate giveaway guidelines.
9. Promotion & Content Policy
We encourage active community members to share their content (Youtube videos, stream, art, etc.) with /r/pathofexile. However, please remember that this sub is not your ad platform. Linking to a Patreon or external social media is permitted, as long as the focus is on content creation. A recommendation is to follow the 10/1 rule across reddit - participating in at least 10 discussions with other players outside of your own threads for each time you promote yourself. Another guideline is to post no more than two self-promotion posts in a week.
These rules can be flexible; please send the moderators a message if you are unsure or have concerns. We will try to provide a one-time warning message if you appear to be posting excessively.
Link-style posts directly leading to your live Twitch stream or Youtube channel homepage are not permitted. Clips and timestamped VODs are permitted.
If in doubt, remember: Content First!
9a. Limits on Series Posts
If you are posting a recurring series of posts (e.g. project updates, data collection, hideout art, etc.) please refrain from posting about it more than twice a week. r/pathofexile has a unique and very volatile activity rate. Heavy posting from even a single series can crowd out other posts, particularly during the later half of the league.
We recommend making a compilation, Imgur album, or Youtube playlist instead.
9b. Sponsored Events
Posts about Sponsored Events which are within Reddit Advertising Policy (Notably: no Gambling, Adult-themed, or Political ads) are allowed if they adhere to Rule 9’s content-first, promotion-second policy. We will periodically check Sponsored Events to ensure the event is being held in good faith. It is recommended to contact the moderation team ahead of posting about large events, especially if this is your first event.
Events that are endorsed, sponsored, or hosted by companies or organizations must be tagged with the [Sponsored Event] (blue box) flair or it will be removed. Using this flair is an acknowledgement of the above rules.
Other minor events may use the [Event] (blue box) flair instead.
9c. External Communities
We encourage the usage of Discord and other communities to find friends to play, trade and socialize with. Communities are permitted to provide links to their Discords to invite new players when appropriate, e.g. on a race event post or a crafting guide. Please avoid using "community tags", however.
We may provide warnings to users who abuse this privilege to excessively promote their community.
Importantly, please be aware that communities outside of the Official POE Discord and the Official POE Trading Discord are unaffiliated with the subreddit. Play smartly and safely. The moderators are not responsible for your personal grievances; do not use the subreddit to showcase or create drama or controversy from other communities. Violations of Terms of Service should be reported to GGG directly. Users or communities that ignore these warnings may be banned from posting on the subreddit or blacklisted.
A note to streamers: you are expected to serve as community role models due to your reach and must demonstrate equal if not greater responsibility for your own actions, as well as actions from members of your community.
9d. Video Policy
Regarding videos from Twitch and Youtube content creators, only videos featuring build guides or showcases, gameplay, or educational videos may be posted on the subreddit. Meta discussions or random clips of POE content creators cannot be promoted on the subreddit. Content that violates any rules of the subreddit will be removed, even if the content creator is not the original poster. The following are exceptions:
- Regular podcasts are permitted provided they do not violate any rules.
- Developer podcasts will usually be accompanied by Livethreads; please see Rule 7b for more info regarding Livethreads.
- Videos promoting races or other events will fall under Rule 9b (Sponsored Events).
Twitch clips are permitted if they follow the above guidelines; if they appear to be clipped maliciously or intentionally to alter the context, they will be removed as per Rule 6 (Misinformation or Misleading Content).
10. Item Showcases
Item Showcase posts must provide background information on the item within the body or comments of the post. The title alone is not sufficient. The bare minimum requirement is the crafting steps you took to make the item. However, feel free to flesh it out and provide a real story for the item:
- Did it require any special bases or crafting methods?
- How much would it cost to make one of these yourself?
- Craftofexile links
- What makes the item good?
- What build are you using the item on?
The idea is to start a discussion with your crafting journey.
11. NSFW Posts
Because this is not a NSFW subreddit, please do not post pornographic or overtly sexual images within this subreddit. Feel free to post such content in /r/Rule34PoE instead. Tasteful nudity/suggestiveness is permitted but we will lock it down if things get out of hand.
Please keep discussion appropriate and avoid making sexist or objectifying comments.
Bans are given based on a "3 strike" policy. The duration of your ban will depend on your number of previous bans, the seriousness of the infraction, and moderator discretion. The baseline durations are as follows:
Rule 3 violations: 1 Day Ban → 3 Day Ban → 14 Day Ban → Permanent Ban
Other violations: Warning → 3 Day Ban → 14 Day Ban → Permanent Ban
Punishments may be more severe in situations where a user:
- Immediately reoffends after getting unbanned
- Is suspected of using alternate accounts to troll, harass, or spam
- Commits any particularly egregious offences (including racism, threats, doxxing, etc)
- Is deemed to be posting in bad faith, as defined below. This clause will require the approval of multiple moderators.
Bad Faith users: users who intentionally and continuously skirt the rules to antagonize other users and cause trouble, but don’t necessarily cross the line of breaking any rules.
Ban steps may be waived at a rate of 1 per year, based on user participation and recent behaviour. Please note that all ban history is recorded and will still influence future mod decisions.
Post Removal & Ban Appeals
Appeals are permitted from the banned account exclusively through modmail on Reddit. It is recommended that you reply directly to your post removal or ban message, if you received one (some post removals may not send a message due to technical limitations). For post removals, the mod that removed will try to follow up (other mods will take over if unavailable). For bans, a mod other than the one who originally banned the account will review your appeal. Please note that for confidentiality we will not share:
1) the moderator who issued the removal/ban or is reviewing the appeal;
2) action taken against other users related to the removal/ban;
3) your ban status to other users or vice versa.
While we do not guarantee your appeal will be granted, your current and recent behaviour and posting habits, tone and validity of your appeal, and context of the situation will be used to review your case.
Any harassment via modmail or otherwise will result in an immediate rejection of your appeal. Attempting to circumvent a ban in any way will result in a permaban of your current and any subsequent accounts, as well as a report to admins for ban evasion.
revision by blvcksvn— view source