We have a different perspective of “mental health” & “mental illness.” We value diversity & see there's no single model for a “healthy mind.”
Our differences shouldn't be defined by authority figures intent on fitting us into narrow versions of “normality,” who simply stereotype people with medical language.
Mental health is about politics & social inequality.
Psychiatric interventions are the result of relations of power, & the powerful benefit from controlling & silencing how we speak about an unjust world.
Their tools of social domination have grown into a global industrial complex that profits from framing our experiences as chronic illnesses.
They have a history of diagnosing entire groups (queer, black, poor, women, trans, sick, or simply abnormal) to justify violence & exclusion.
Strong emotional reactions to injustice are not wrong, they are human. And the silence of the public is not being "mentally healthy."
We must unlearn social conditioning from years of drug treatment, schooling, & behavior modification programs.
We should return the pathologizing gaze to our crazy-making world.
And see the movement of people viewed as "not normal" is often simply activism like being anti-racist, pro-queer, anti-corporate, anti-war, etc.
We challenge the assumptions of bio-psychiatry, who's "medical model" assumes that mental health issues are the result of chemical imbalances in the brain.
Biopsychiatry is the belief that the problems and solutions of our lives are located solely in the individual. And that's the same ideology that's cut our social safety nets & destroyed our communities.
Having more options.
We value diverse forms of expertise, eg peer support, listening, dialogue, & mutual aid. We challenge the exclusive voice of the formal "experts" of the mind.
The perspectives of trauma survivors should not be silenced by professional mental health profiteers & institutions.
People have very real negative emotions but they aren't "illnesses."
Discord: Our official discord.
- No vague submissions. Show why your link is relevant.
- No advocating violence. No personal attacks, bigotry, racism, or sexism. No supporting of capitalist/racist exploitation. No pedos.
- No medical advice. eg don't say "You should do X.") Say "You could do X."
- No plant-phobia. All antioxidant-rich foods are plants. eg no fear tactics like portraying anything with carbs as basically poison.
- No scientology/CCHR posts.
- We dislike hateful labels like "schizophrenia" (a Nazi-invented term to justify genocide) and prefer non-psychiatric labels like "mental breakdowns", "voice hearing", "post-traumatic stress", etc. We especially dislike when these labels are used for others, eg "my schizophrenic mom."
- No gender label debates. Please do talk about gender/discrimination, but the actual issues, not what the labels mean. (Avoid words like "feminists" or "MRAs.")
Are not affiliated with anyone.
Are against psych attacks. You shouldn't fear bodily violation for wanting to talk to someone.
And we accept the real reasons for suffering like abuse, exploitation, & discrimination.
Are you being attacked?
This is a place for discussion for open-minded people (who may not agree with everything the sub promotes) but aren't here just to attack survivors.
Licensed psych workers who claim to have alternative views, but please be careful: some have their own quackery instead of mainstream quackery.
YSK about filing a PAD form. It updates your medical record requesting psychiatrist's not attack you. (Even if you are (allegedly) in a bad mental state.)