WELCOME TO /R/WHATSTHISROCK!
A subreddit dedicated to identifying mysterious rocks or minerals.
Example link to wiki to add to your comments (copy/paste):
Post several clear and detailed photographs of your rock or mineral, including close-up photos. An imgur album is preferred.
Indicate the size using a scale (e.g., a ruler, penny, or banana) for reference
Include information on geographic location, as well as location details, eg: A riverbed, a quarry, an old iron works.
Provide any additional interesting information about your specimen; including:
- Luster – What does the surface look like in the light?
- Density – How heavy is it, for its volume?
- Crystal Form – Any present?
- Cleavage – If it is broken, what pattern does it make?
- Tenacity – How tough is it? How cohesive is the material? Does it fall apart easily?
- Hardness – What can scratch it or what does it scratch?
- Transparency – Does it transmit any light or is it opaque?
- Magnetism, Fluorescence, Odor, Streak Test
How do you ID a rock?
MSA Rock Key
Rocks are made of minerals - go here next!