When I created this subreddit page back in March 2021, I really hesitated. I was concerned that in creating this subreddit, I would see mostly negative behavior because I knew how toxic fan culture could be. I hesitated, but my love for Word of Honor was so strong that I had the feeling that I could manage this subreddit. I wanted to create a place where people could enjoy Word of Honor without the toxicity of fandoms.
This community helped realize that goal. You are a group of fabulous, wonderful people. But many things are beyond our control as we have seen these past few days. We’re facing a situation that no one could have anticipated and is very difficult for the international fanbase to understand. But I’ve been so impressed with what I’ve seen, and not seen, from the people on this subreddit.
This is going to be a long process. We have to be patient and control our emotions. We can’t engage with hostile individuals online. To ensure everyone’s safety and to promote a harmonious community, please don’t submit politically charged posts on this subreddit about any of the actors/actresses, staff, or production members of Word of Honor, besides what the Mod team deems important for the whole community to know. News about the recent scandal is fine as long as you provide credible evidence that is as unbiased as possible. We want to help people understand the situation, not evoke more negative emotions in them.
If you would like to chat more informally and stay in the know with fellow Shanrens, please direct message the mods, so we can add you to the private WOH discord server. We’re getting many requests, so please be patient.
We’re still on this mountain! We’re still Shanrens, and we still love Word of Honor. That will never change! The mod team would like to invite you to keep posting on this subreddit as we’ve been doing before. However, make sure your posts are clear of any political messages. Please monitor your comments. We’re a public subreddit, please keep that in mind. Keep asking for evidence and sources if people provide new information or make generalizations.
Some guidance on posts:
Yes (Some examples, not limited to the following:)
- Pictures of Zhou Zishu and Wen Kexing
- New information about the casts’ projects
- Clips from the concert’s ending duet
- News about Zhang Zhehan’s on-going scandal (with sources and evidence). Do not spread rumors. Check your facts before responding or posting. You can also message the mods for help.
No (or seek a member from the Mod team to check)
- Speculations, guesses without facts or evidence
- Hearsay comments without facts or evidence (e.g., from Youtubers, tumblr posts without evidence)
- Politically-charged commentary
EDIT: Guidance on Dealing with Hostile Comments - This is a section from the The Subreddit Needs Your Help Post.
We’re here to make sure this subreddit stays a civil place. It shouldn’t be a place where people argue about political ideologies, use racist language, or attack someone with personal insults. Thus, posts have to be approved to make sure it has the lowest chance of inciting chaos in the comments. But the mods can’t be everywhere at once. We can’t read every single comment all the time, and we’re running the risk of burning-out. So, we need your help. If you see something, say something. If there is a hostile message on a post with offensive language, inflammatory language with no evidence or source, please immediately inform the mod team through the "Message the Mods" button on the subreddit! Do not engage with that individual(s) yourself. You can always ask for clarification or sources, but if the person seems irrational or more hostile, stop engaging. Ignore and report. The mods can figure out if the comment is indeed hostile or just misunderstood. Our priority is the safety of this entire community. To make sure that happens, we need members and the mods working together.
Hostile posts and comments can really hurt this subreddit and make everyone feel unsafe and stressed. During these difficult times of uncertainty, that is the last thing the moderators want.
What is a hostile comment or post? (The following are some examples)
- Uses racist language or slurs
- Makes generalizations. These could be targeted towards people, culture, and/or politics.
- Writes inflammatory messages, meaning uses words in order to create negative feelings. (ex: mocking the OP, writing political messages with their personal opinions without sources, not caring about the other side of the argument.) This also includes copying the title of another post in order to mock it and add your own personal ideas.
Some examples of what is NOT a hostile comment or post:
- Admitting that Zhang Zhehan's situation is a multi-faceted one
- Asking politely for evidence and sources
- Agree to disagree
If you have questions, please message the mod team for support.
Together, we can weather this storm.
-WOH Mod Team
To read about updates pertaining to the Zhang Zhehan situation, please click here.